Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Doing the Rear Brakes - what to get (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/907910-doing-the-rear-brakes-what-to-get.html)

little dutch 12-04-2009 01:38 PM

Doing the Rear Brakes - what to get

Hey all.

I want to go ahead and replace the hubs and pads tonight. I have not called around much to check pricing, but I was told, either by Advance or Checker, that the hubs are either once turned or twice turned, and I think about $30 a piece for the once turned. They were busy so I did not get a chance to ask what this means.

I was under the impression turning the drums meant taking the lip off of used drums. Does this imply that the drums I would be buying are used and have been refinished? It doesn't sound correct to me. If someone would explain to me what I am getting into I would appreciate it.

Also, I just generally buy the best non-squeak pads for the front I can afford when I do breaks, are there any surprises to look out for when buying drum pads?

I was already in there replacing some broken springs and such, so I don't think I will have any trouble with the labor part. Just pretty green when dealing with the drums.

Edit: I need to add my truck info to my sig, I keep forgetting to post it. I don't think it matters for the rear breaks though, not a lot has changed on them.
1990 f150. 4x4. 300 I6.

1OldFordMan 12-04-2009 01:49 PM

Have never heard once or twice turned before. Sounds like what you said, used drums. Usually when they turn them, they resurface the entire drum to remove any grooves & make sure they aren't out of round. Like rotors, they can only be turned so much. After that you have to replace them. Back in " the good ole days " ( mid 70s ) we never turned them unless they were really bad. Just put new shoes on & go. Check your wheel cylinders for leaks / seeping while you're there. Lube all moving parts lightly. Drums are pretty simple. Shoes are different front & rear, make sure you remember which one goes where. Easy way is do one side at a time & compare side to side if you're not sure. Good luck. The biggest pain I ever had was disconnecting the parking brake cable.

Volvo92906 12-04-2009 01:55 PM

Umm, what are you doing? Drums with SHOES or Discs with PADS? You are flip flopping.

First a couple cans of brake cleaner. Always helps.

If you are doing DISCS with PADS you can get discs that do not need to be turned before you put em on or some that should be (which I never do) and ceramic pads or some Motorcraft brand.

For DRUMS with SHOES you can just get shoes, Motorcraft or something from a part store. Same thing. For surfacing them its not all based on drum lip. Sometimes its just better to replace the drums for as cheap as they can be. Other times they cant be cut because the thickness. If you take it to a (machine) shop they can measure and tell you if they can be turned or not. (There is a limit as with discs). If you need, get rear drum brake hardware also. But, I think you said yours is new??

little dutch 12-04-2009 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Volvo92906 (Post 8203228)
Umm, what are you doing? Drums with SHOES or Discs with PADS? You are flip flopping.

First a couple cans of brake cleaner. Always helps.

If you are doing DISCS with PADS you can get discs that do not need to be turned before you put em on or some that should be (which I never do) and ceramic pads or some Motorcraft brand.

For DRUMS with SHOES you can just get shoes, Motorcraft or something from a part store. Same thing. For surfacing them its not all based on drum lip. Sometimes its just better to replace the drums for as cheap as they can be. Other times they cant be cut because the thickness. If you take it to a (machine) shop they can measure and tell you if they can be turned or not. (There is a limit as with discs). If you need, get rear drum brake hardware also. But, I think you said yours is new??

Sorry, Drums have shoes. That's what I get for sneaking in a question at work, never enough time to properly proof read!

The drum brake hardware has been replaced already, I pulled a lot from a beautiful 1990 in the cash for clunkers section at the yard. The shoes are cooked on one side, I am assuming because of the broken springs, and the drums themselves are pretty worn on both sides, enough I had to take the adjuster pretty far in to pull them. I just want them replaced (drums and shoes) so I don't have to think about them again for a good long while.

So when I go to buy new drums tonight, they should be new correct? Nothing about once turned or anything? The terminology on these drums is new to me and throwing me off.

Thanks for the reply 1OldFordMan, that was pretty much my thinking. Thanks for the reminder to lube as well.

Volvo92906 12-04-2009 02:26 PM

Correct. Tell them you want brand new. Im not sure cause they do things weird these days but if they are once turned thats not bad either cause what it is is they turned it and took off like .001 of an inch just to prep the surface for new shoes. The material they remove when there are no gouges to surface is so minute it doesnt really matter, no worries.

The twice turned... Well thats just fishy to me.

rainbowATF 12-04-2009 03:01 PM

I don't recall Advance Auto selling used drums. I would guess they are referring to the quality; they sell many levels and brands. Based on quality; they could be turned just once or twice before needing replacement again.

little dutch 12-04-2009 03:29 PM

Yeah, I called 3 of the usual suspects and did not get the Once turned or Twice turned line this time. Advance, Checker, and Napa are all selling new. Not sure which place I called the other day now.

Prices are all over the place for drums, but that is easy. For the shoes, I assume I want bonded over riveted based purely on the Wagner bonded ones being twice as expensive. Thanks for the quick info, unless anyone chimes in and says Wagners are no good, I think I am set.