Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Large Truck (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum232/)
-   -   Front drive axle? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/907845-front-drive-axle.html)

oldbrokecowboy 12-04-2009 09:37 AM

Front drive axle?

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what front drive axle(s), transfer case(s) were used in the F 600s? Late sixtys on. Thank you

jpr38057 12-04-2009 05:52 PM

They used both Eaton and Rockwell (now Meritor). Not sure about the transfer case but my guess would be New Process or Dana.

oldbrokecowboy 12-04-2009 11:16 PM

Front drive axle?

Thank you for your reply. Anyone suggest where I might search for more info.

Notmeofficer 12-05-2009 06:08 AM

My 79 has a rockwell fds 75 (standing for 7500 pound) it was used from the 60s through the 90s.. and a rockwell transfer case (I didnt pull the model number but its sitting on my shop bench so Ill try to remember to do so) with a clark 5 speed spec'd from the factory

now it has the rockwell with a later model eaton transmission

it you are doing a conversion your options are limitless,, you can look at companies like Boyce Equipment.. I love the air shifts,,,, no transfer case lever sticking up through the floor.. but you need air obviously

notme

oldbrokecowboy 12-06-2009 01:00 AM

front drive axle?

Thank you, After reading your posts about your projects i,m in awe, and also very envious. Fantastic project, picts, and up dates. I did some more research with your suggestions and opened the door to more dreaming. Thanks again.

Notmeofficer 12-07-2009 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by hypprotux (Post 8212424)
<!-- message --> Heard constant whining sound from front drive .Didn't figure it out until taking off the Front Intermediate Shaft Housing ,grease was filled with metal .Bearing gobbled up the Clutch Sleeve on the oil pan side, bearing is in tiny fragments mixed with grease .Inward side Front Wheel Drive Shaft Housing is wasted .So getting parts on 2002 awd Bravada is one problem? But when reassembly ,what type of grease to use? For future Maintance is the rubber plug for greasing in the housing.
:-bigparty__________________
La mutuelle familiale de France
Devis mutuelle familiale des cheminots fr

Partner.. Not to be rude to you ,,,Not only are you in the wrong post but you arent even in the right forum

HEAVY DUTY FORD spoken here.... Job Rated Stuff.. Our front axles weigh as much as your truck

NumberDummy 12-11-2009 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by oldbrokecowboy (Post 8202414)
Would someone be kind enough to tell me what front drive axle(s), transfer case(s) were used in the F 600s? Late sixtys on. Thank you

The only Transfer Case listed (in the 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog) is for 1971/72 F600 4WD's = Rockwell-Timken Model 5-29025.

There is no Tranfer Case listed for any 1964/69 F600 4WD's.

I read somewhere that all of these were converted to 4WD by Marmon-Herrington.

The only Front Driving Axle listed in this catalog is also...only for 1971/72 F600 4WD's: Rockwell-Timken Model FDS-75-HD-X-1.

Originally Posted by hypprotux
So getting parts on 2002 awd Bravada...

A Bravada is an Oldsmobile, which was not manufactured by Ford Motor Company.

Oldsmobile: 1897/1908: Olds Motor Works / 1908/2003: GM brand.

Billy Durant founded GM by purchasing Buick in 1906, purchased Oldsmobile in 1908, Cadillac in 1909.

Y'all know...of course...that Henry Ford walked away from the original FoMoCo in 1902 after arguing with his financial backers.

After Ford left, the financial backers brought in Henry Martyn Leland from Browne & Sharp (prior to B&S, he was a PE with The Colt Pat'd Firearms Manufacturing Co.) as their new Prez and Chief Engineer.

The first thing Leland did was change the company's name, naming it after the French explorer and founder of Detroit: Walter de la Motte CADILLAC.

In 1916, Leland left Cadillac, started a new company to manufacture Liberty V12 aircraft engines for the war effort.

Leland named his new company after his favorite President: Abraham LINCOLN.

In 1922, Lincoln went bankrupt after producing their first...and only car in 1921...which was an engineering marvel, but a styling disaster.

The US Bankruptcy Court put Lincoln up for auction. The only bidder was...Henry Ford.

Notmeofficer 12-11-2009 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8231384)
The only Transfer Case listed (in the 1964/72 Ford Truck Parts Catalog) is for 1971/72 F600 4WD's = Rockwell-Timken Model 5-29025.

There is no Tranfer Case listed for any 1964/69 F600 4WD's.

I read somewhere that all of these were converted to 4WD by Marmon-Herrington.

The only Front Driving Axle listed in this catalog is also...only for 1971/72 F600 4WD's: Rockwell-Timken Model FDS-75-HD-X-1.

this setup is exactly what my 79 has

dbdbb 12-11-2009 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Notmeofficer (Post 8212659)
Partner.. Not to be rude to you ,,,Not only are you in the wrong post but you arent even in the right forum

HEAVY DUTY FORD spoken here.... Job Rated Stuff.. Our front axles weigh as much as your truck

never mind what I was going to say

Notmeofficer 12-12-2009 05:09 AM

There is an excellent utube video on rebuilding the FDS 7500 pound axle,,, it has two parts

Here's the link for part two.. part one is in the margin.... it shows you just how large the axle is and some of the differences between it and the military top loading rockwells

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaOOtIO7e7

Number Dummy.. thank you for the informative post about bravadas.... :-).. you are the go to guy for car info....