Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   What Size Exhaust and your recommendations! (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/907526-what-size-exhaust-and-your-recommendations.html)

Eac95z28 12-03-2009 09:55 AM

What Size Exhaust and your recommendations!

Hi, I am new to this forum but have been reading it for a while. A little bit of background info. I have a 2007 Charcoal Grey Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 model. I am wanting to add a muffler on it and i have come up with a few options from reading on here and listening to vids on youtube. my main choices are

flowmaster super 44 stainless muffler
flowmaster super 40 aluminized muffler
flowmaster original 40 series stainless muffler

they are all around the same price about $80-100 from jegs, summit, ebay

i mainly want the stainless but the super 40 sounds pretty good too but i would rather have the 10 year flowmaster warranty with stainless then 3 year with the aluminzed. here is one of my main questions:

all these mufflers have the si/do setup with 3" center inlet and 2.5" dual outlets. is this the right size that i need? i called flowmaster they said i need 2.5" center in/2.5" center out for stock replacement size but i want to do si/do with dual pipes straight out the back. There is a video of an 08 expedition on youtube with dual pipes on it and i think another membe ron here did it as well. my buddy recommended an exhaust shop to me that should be able to fab the duals to go around the spare tire and have chrome tips on it. but he was saying the piping would be 2.25" i want the 3" inlet and dual 2.5" outlets with like 3.5" tips or so would be great. so do i have to have a 2.5" inlet muffler or can i put the 3" inlet dual 2.5" outlet on? i think 2.25" is too small for the dual pipes coming out and i wont be able to use the mufflers i want sincfe its a 3" in 2.5" outs.

also if any of you have had this done on your f150s or expys how much did the shop charge you for labor fabrication, materials to do it with a flowmaster muffler? the guy quoted $275 buying a 40 series muffler non stainless from him labor installed chrome tips and 2.25" mandrel bent piping. I would rather have stianless tips but they are pretty expensive.

next question is what do you guys recommend as far as the mufflers i have chosen and other mufflers i might consider? the super 44 is suposed to be the most aggressive muffler from flowmaster and i like the way it sounds from what i have heard on youtube and i want stainless. the super 40 is sweet too but i cant really tell a solid difference between the vids i have heard. i have mainly listened to f150s 5.4l motors si/do super 40 or super 44s but i cant find any with vids on expys. so thats the sound i have to go buy. i think the super 44 would be sweeet and i can get it stianless the super 40 i cant. so lmk what you guys think and if i can do what i would like.

So basically i really would like the super 44 stainless muffler with 3" in/2.5" dual outs fabricated out the back with stainless tips

but if the shop i am bringing it to is cheaper wiht chrome tips i will get the same just with chrome tips. how long do those last and does that sound reasonable worht it? I am wanting to buy the muffler myself and bring it to him therefore hiopefully i will just pay labor and fabbing. i think the guy stocks the 40s and was pushing me on a 40 muffler because i think he charges a little more for them and makes a little money. i was really wanting to spend like $200-250 but $275 isnt bad if his labor is $175 or less and i spend $100 on my muffler that owuld be right there. lmk asap thanks.

eddiemoney 12-03-2009 10:30 AM

I would do a min of 3" from CAT to Muffler, dual 2.5 out of the muffler would be fine. I would have them build something from CAT back if you want a custom. I would suggest a Delta Flow series, you will avoid some drone and just normal noise, but louder when it is opened up. Ignoring muffler cost I would say $300 for pipes, install, and welding a catback is reasonable.

As a nit, I would also prefer chrome tips, they just look nicer.

Eac95z28 12-03-2009 10:42 AM

what size is on my truck right now from the cat? so basicallyi need him to fun me 3" from cat to muffler the super 44 3" in then 2.5" outs with tail pipes and chrome tips. i have heard some on the delta flow and it seems to mild for my tastes. i would rather have the super 40 or 44 or original 40 from what i have heard on the f150s sound awesome. i was hoping for around $250 with muffler labor and all. but i need to call this exhaust guyu and ask him if he can do all that. he quoted $275 with a 40 series muffler from him non staniless.

eddiemoney 12-03-2009 12:34 PM

Yes, you want a catback, it isn't that much more than just muffler back.

Just straight 40s are sooo loud. Here is a delta 40s i found real quick on a search on youtube of the 4.6L, should give you an idea. I think you will appreciate the lighter drone while on the highway.

YouTube - Crown Vic with Flowmaster Delta 40's Part 2

YouTube - Ford Police Interceptor Flowmaster's

As far as stainless or not, it is just a matter of how many years you want it. In salt country not stainless will last 8-10 years, more in areas without salt.

Eac95z28 12-03-2009 12:58 PM

they both sound great. but they are the 4.6l motors. i have the 5.4l. but they both do sound great. i really like the way the super 44 seems to sound with the f150 5.4l like my motor. thats the closeset vehicle i could find to mine since it has the same motor and all with the newer ones. but you really dont think the supe r44 is a good idea? im not wanting to do true duals just single muffler si/do for cost and i just want a good soundin exhaust that will last a long time. if i like it like im hoping i will it will be on there probably for the life of my vehicle which i plan to have a long time. THey salt the roads every year here in ky so with stainless it should last me more than 10 years easily. I have a magnaflow catback on my camaro z28 and it has been on there since 2003 and looks great. needs a good cleaning but other than that its not rusted and its polished stainless steel also. but with my truck im wanting something a bit differnet and custom to get me the duals look out the back.

benshere 12-03-2009 10:19 PM

I have been looking for a 3" si and 2.5" do muffler and dual tailpipes (mandrel bent) for my 93 bronco. I have been surfing the "Walker Dynomax" site and there is such a combination, which I will order. The tailpipes are in 3 pieces at the rear end (2 for drivers side and 1 for passenger side). It is shown for a 87-96 F150. There is a portion of the site that shows the configuration of the muffler and pipes, just look on the site for it.

I know you have an Expy (I have an 07 EL). You may have to do some careful comparison, because they may not offer anything for the 07 Expy, however, we know that Ford does very little, if any, changing on the basic body/undercarriage design. You my find something for an 03-04, for example, that will fit just fine.

Once you determine the part #'s for the muffler and the pipes, do a Google on the part make and # and it will show on-line dealers and prices. There is also a chart that has SS mufflers (Walker Superturbo & Thrush). For example, my muffler is "walker 17776" googled. You may find similar info for the Flowmaster. LOL

Eac95z28 12-04-2009 08:03 AM

dynomax is a good company but i would rather just have a shop fab me up the pipes instead of buying them not knowing if they are going to fit or not. i thinkj im going to stick with flowmaster either the super 44 stainlesss or original 40 series stainless

benshere 12-04-2009 08:20 AM

I had a 3"single system, after wheel exit, fab'ed by a shop. Worked pretty good except that the 3' pipe became 21/4-21/2" at the bends.

I didnt go with dynomax pipes because I particularly like dynomax. Its because, other than buying mandrel bends from some source and welding (or using those band clamps) you will get compression bends or the "stretch" type which mean you need to start with tubing at least 1/2" larger in dia than what you really want. Also, the dynomax pipes are mandrel bent and are fitted for a specific application. You just have to decide which one fits, it yours isnt specifically shown. There are several companies that provide mandrel bends, but doubtful they mfg the pipe themselves. Dynomax, at least, has a selection of complete mandrel bent pipes for a lot of apps.

You can pick any muffler brand you want. I dont think there is anything specific about the exaust pipes except they are marketed and maybe mandrel bent by dynomax.

I can say from experience, that the shop fab'ed pipes will rust through quicker than OEM, even though they are supposed to be aluminized. Maybe someone will tell us which brand of aluminized pipe to buy to avoid that :confused:

Eac95z28 12-16-2009 11:52 AM

I got an update. I called the exhaust guy and he said that with buying a 40 series muffler from him it would be $275 with labor muffler, and chrome tips. he can mandrel bend them at his shop. he has the machine to do it but he has the galvanized steel piping. he said the stainless would be twice as much. But anyway i asked him individual prices.

basically:

muffler, labor, piping, chrome tips- $275
i buy my own muffler and bring it to him, labor, piping, chrome tips- $200
i bring my muffler and tips (cause i want stainless instead) labor, piping-$175

what do you think about those prices? this is the only place i have talked to so far but most tire/exhaust shops around here dont do aftermarket/custom stuff, they can probably replace the muffler but not mandrel bend piping and fabricate me duals around the spare tire to get the duals out. so is this a good price for what i would be gteting? theres a few custom shops around here that i can call that are about 30 miles away but i have a feeling they are going to be a lot more $$.

I have decided though for right now to stick with just the si/do muffler. im either going to get the flowmaster super 44 or the magnaflow 12588 or 14588 part #s 5x11" mufflers 12588 is stainless, 14588 is polished stianless. the cheapest i can find the polished one is $135 through performance peddler. they might be cheaper if i can offer them a rpice though? i was thinking $100 or so would be great. what do you guys think about the sound difference between these two. i know the flow will be much more raspier but i like the way the flow sounds on this motor. i can deal with a little raspiness but i dont want a ton of it. I want it loud and real deep and have a nice smooth deep idle tone to it. i know magnaflow is good and deep just not super loud unless you really get on it WOT or so. I have magnaflow catback on my lt1 camaro and i love the sound of it. the deepness is very sweet and smooth. but with my truck i want something a little different but not really 100% raspy. well lmk what you guys think on this pricing and see if its a good deal. I also would like some advice on tips. should i go with the magnaflows? i like the polish stainless ones with like angled cut tips 18" or 12" maybe? they are pretty expensive i wasnt really wanting to spend a lot on the tips and i was even considering throwing in the $25 more to this exhaust guy just to get his basic chrome tips. thats not a bad price just for some tips. i dont know which ones they are though. i really want the ss tips but dont want to fork out $100 or so for them. what do you guys think. lmk asap thanks again guys.

i just checked on magnaflow's website again http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/u...asp?shape=oval and i think the muffler i chose was too big. i found teh 5x8" ovals and its only 14" body which is shorter than 22" body part #s
12198 14221 polished one. $116.92 from perf peddler before offer. maybe i could get that one for like $80 or so. well what do you guys thinki. i cant get the 11" body like darren has because on their website they dont have a si/do muffler. just si/so ones.

i have this posted on f150onilne also and i wanted to see what you guys think as well.