Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Clutch, Transmission, Differential, Axle & Transfer Case (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum69/)
-   -   2004 F150 5.4/4R75E (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904802-2004-f150-5-4-4r75e.html)

jtazioli 11-23-2009 09:50 PM

2004 F150 5.4/4R75E

Pulled into my driveway, shifted from "D" to "R", applied accelerator...no movement...more accelerator...gnashing of teeth and grinding of gears resulting in sprayed gravel... rapid application of brake pedal...Shifting to other selection points, i.e. "1", "2", "D", "N", "R", "P" resulted in no movement of my F150. In park and neutral the engine revs freely, in all other selections it feels like trying to accelerate with the brakes on. After removing the driveshaft and moving said truck to the garage area, a blown fuse was found in the #29 slot/PCM. After replacing the fuse and with the rear wheels elevated, "1", "2", and "D" engaged, but no "R". Does "R" stand for frustration level?as in "rrrrrrrrrrrr I'm pissed!":mad: Put rear wheels back on the ground and proceeded to drive forward 8.375 FEET with heavy accelerator. Removed driveshaft....again....rolled back to starting point. Presently reer wheels off ground.:( Other notes...after first removal of driveshaft, the output shaft could not be turned. After replacing fuse and prior to replacing driveshaft, the engine was started and tranny placed in all selections. The output shaft rotated!!! The output shaft could then be turned by hand. During original gnashing of teeth and gears, it seemed as if the tranny didn't know which gear it wanted to be in, i.e. reverse or forward.
Codes read..0722

Now for the questions....Why did the fuse blow? MHO...short in either the PCM or one of the solenoids(SSA,SSB,EPC,TCC). Could the PCM be at fault?? Why did the engine run with PCM fuse blown?? Is this a case of remove/rebuild?? What other troubleshooting points am I missing?? Just where is the PCM located?
Other questions...Which friction plates give better performance? Borg warner, Raybestos, Bob's super fast friction plates, etc...??? If the tranny needs to come out(heavy sigh) What other modifications should be done as long as it's on the ground(another heavy sigh)?

Mark Kovalsky and or archangel and or the other guy that owns the tranny shop in georgia( sorry i cant remember your name) any suggestions??

jtazioli 11-26-2009 09:25 PM

Upon further digging...The fuse ID from the Owners Manual says...PCM 4x4. There are a couple other fuses that also show PCM and something else. So I'm going with fuse 29 is PCM attached to the tranny and transfer case.
P0720=Output shaft speed sensor circuit
P0722=Output Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit No Signal
P0748=Pressure Control Solenoid Electrical
P0962=Pressure Control Solenoid "A" Control Circuit Low
The first two I can attribute to the output shaft not proportionaly matching the input shaft speed while I was trying to accelerate...
The other two???? Maybe when the fuse blew??? Maybe smoked an internal solenoid??
Possibly a locked up band??
I'll drop the pan tommorrow and see if the solenoids are burned.
I pulled th x-fer case...seems to be ok. Fluid dark but no chunks.
Maybe similar to https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...blem-help.html
Anyone???

jtazioli 11-27-2009 06:39 PM

I did drop the pan....eeeeewwwwwww.....steel/iron and aluminum shavings...
I pulled the tranny today too.
I'm going to have to overhaul, just real curious where the failure is. The fluid looks like old coffee. I now I had it changed in the past, but it still looks like hell. The service I used to change the fluid is no longer in business so I can't check the records as I did not save receipts.

jk080 11-27-2009 08:29 PM

I just read your post, my first thought is exactly what you found, gear train failure.

I think the epc code was from excessive metal build up on the contacts.

There is a flat needle bearing that is inside the planetary, the bearing fails and the little bearing rollers fall out and end up in the planet and ring gear teeth causing a complete gear train failure.

We just had this in the shop about two weeks ago, we had to jack a rear wheel up off the ground and use a pusher just to get it in the shop.

jtazioli 11-28-2009 02:32 PM

JK
Thanks for the reply...
I don't want to open the case until I get the service manual. I ordered from ATSG but, forsome reason, did not get the electronic download version. Im standing around doing nothing...all weekend....waiting for a manual.....

jtazioli 12-02-2009 08:59 PM

JK
You hit it right on. The whole planetary system is destroyed. The needlebearing behind the direct clutch hub wiped and sent shards into the gears. The forward sun gear is also wasted. There is misc. shavings and gear monster droppings through out the transmission.

Is it cost effective to replace the damaged parts? Or just go with a rebuilt/reman? Please keep in mind that I am doing this work myself because I already bought my wifes Christmas present...;)

Are there any other suggestions or insight you might have on this unit(4R75E)? Is there any modifications for "beef-up" as long as I have it apart?

Regards