Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Getting my paint defects fixed. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904712-getting-my-paint-defects-fixed.html)

eddiemoney 11-23-2009 05:12 PM

Getting my paint defects fixed.

So I decided to go get some factory paint defects fixed. looking what to look for.

1st explanation of defects.

1) Edge of hood (side up by cowl) is rough, like smeared clear.
2) Small piece of metal? sticking out from metal roof/putty seam. This small piece is rusting, weird. . .
3) Rear hatch - Both bottom, toward car outer edges have rough clearcoat/paint that looks awful. Additionally at the top of the door there is a large "blob" of paint runoff at the top of the door.

2nd What to look for
I know to document everything before I take it in. What else do I need to be looking for?

berry1234 11-24-2009 10:39 AM

I would look at all seams and edges, bottoms of doors, etc for any rust/bubbles. Park your washed car in the garage and use a florescent light at the roof for any small bubbles, rust, etc. I wouldn't worry about paint runs or minor clear coat imperfections in the door jams-that might be too picky.

tseekins 11-25-2009 06:21 PM

I lived this nightmare with a '95 T-bird. The clear coat was creeping over every knife edge on the car not to mention paint runs and general imperfections.

I noticed on my '04 Expy that the paint in the roof seems was missing. I had them spray the seems.

Also what is notorious on Ford trucks is t he way they drain rain water form the front of the truck. The drainage / rain gutters from the hood spill all the water over the grill. I had them replace my grill as the chrome was tarnished from excessive rain drainage. Check it out.

Tim

berry1234 01-14-2010 06:32 PM

Did you ever get these fixed?

eddiemoney 01-14-2010 07:26 PM

I did, they did a wonderful job, even fixed a door which wasn't adjusted appropriately.

As an added bonus they gave me a small container of touch up paint, as they had extra mixed, and they detailed the whole truck.

Anyone in Iowa that needs a good Ford shop, I can hook you up with where I went.

Tylus 01-15-2010 12:13 AM

wish I'd had your luck

I just recently found some more paint flaws on my roof last week. I'm debating getting it fixed using my own $$$.

Last time I trusted Ford, my Expy was gone for 40+ days

berry1234 01-15-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by eddiemoney (Post 8369020)
I did, they did a wonderful job, even fixed a door which wasn't adjusted appropriately.

As an added bonus they gave me a small container of touch up paint, as they had extra mixed, and they detailed the whole truck.

Anyone in Iowa that needs a good Ford shop, I can hook you up with where I went.

Nice to hear.

What was the problem with the door?

berry1234 01-15-2010 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by tylus (Post 8370403)
wish I'd had your luck

I just recently found some more paint flaws on my roof last week. I'm debating getting it fixed using my own $$$.

Last time I trusted Ford, my Expy was gone for 40+ days

What are the flaws in the roof?

eddiemoney 01-15-2010 11:04 AM

I had a door that just shut harder than the rest, they showed me how it wasn't adjusted right from the factory. Now it shuts like a dream.

Also my tail defects were from the filler/goo they put in the door to seal it. They didn't clean it up.

I also had two roof defects, both random stuff that had gotten into the sealer seam.

Tylus 01-15-2010 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by berry1234 (Post 8371745)
What are the flaws in the roof?

looks like a crack in the paint...in every single one of the roof channels. each of the channels has several cracks that are 4-5" long.

I cleaned them out and did a thick coating of wax for now...but it's just a matter of time for the rusting.:'(