Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   looking for more power (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904089-looking-for-more-power.html)

biguglylongbed 11-21-2009 03:44 PM

looking for more power

I got a 94 F150 lwb XLT with the 5.0EFI and metric trans. I was wondering what my best mods would be for my money as far as more power. I've already for MSD cap and rotor, long tubes, magnaflow mustang mufflers and thats about it. What else can I do? I'd like around 350 to 400 hp and a mild streetable manner. Suggestions?

guitarnik 11-21-2009 04:19 PM

if you want 400 you needs heads cam and maybe stroke depending how much money you got.

lew52 11-21-2009 04:27 PM

Yeah heads & cam for starters... Its a 94 is it mass air ??....Lew

biguglylongbed 11-21-2009 06:32 PM

it is mass air. I was just thinking basics. I got e7 heads in the shed that i was gonna get worked over and put a nice valvetrain in. but haven't started looking for anything yet. I just can't figure out where to start really. I was a chevy guy and got this truck for free and realize it was potential so i've been messin with it.

jplinville 11-21-2009 07:45 PM

Welcome to the Dark Side... LOL

I'd do things to make it breathe better first. Don't think about CAI, as these trucks already have a decent system in place there...think a more flowing exhaust system. Then I'd go for the head upgrade as well as a better intake.

That's where I'd start.

lew52 11-22-2009 05:23 AM

To get to the 350-400 hp range you will need better than E 7 heads . You will need something like AFR , Trickflow , Edelbrock , heads , & a good cam . The 5.0 intake is big to begain with so you might be ok there . You will probabley have to upgrade your EFI with 24# injectors , bigger TB & MA meter & a tune . Or you can use a super charger or NOS ...Lew

jplinville 11-22-2009 06:18 AM

To be real honest...if you want more HP with less hassle, upgrade to a 5.0 H.O. engine. It would give you an already stronger engine with more HP gaining aftermarket goodies.

Conanski 11-22-2009 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by jplinville (Post 8160891)
To be real honest...if you want more HP with less hassle, upgrade to a 5.0 H.O. engine. It would give you an already stronger engine with more HP gaining aftermarket goodies.

Going to have to correct you on this, that's would be a large waste of time and effort. The two motors are the same except for the pistons, cam and intake, the main parts.. the block, crank and heads are identical and as already stated the 5.0 truck intake is quite a bit larger than the car version so there is actually more HP potential with the truck motor.

To make these trucks perform with a 5.0 takes gearing too, bigger heads and cams will certainly make HP but trucks are heavy compared to a car and the 5.0 isn't as torquey as a larger motor so it has to be able to spool up to get to the power.

jerg_064 11-22-2009 12:27 PM

What's your budget? New aftermarket heads and cam will be a must to get 350-400 flywheelHP.

TFS TW 170 fast as cast heads, custom cam and springs to match from Jay Allen @ Camshaft innovations.

30lbs squirters, bigger TB and MAF. Duel 3" exhaust... PROPER TUNE

jplinville 11-22-2009 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Conanski (Post 8161298)
Going to have to correct you on this, that's would be a large waste of time and effort. The two motors are the same except for the pistons, cam and intake, the main parts.. the block, crank and heads are identical and as already stated the 5.0 truck intake is quite a bit larger than the car version so there is actually more HP potential with the truck motor.

To make these trucks perform with a 5.0 takes gearing too, bigger heads and cams will certainly make HP but trucks are heavy compared to a car and the 5.0 isn't as torquey as a larger motor so it has to be able to spool up to get to the power.

I stand corrected...

biguglylongbed 11-22-2009 10:39 PM

well here's the deal, the motor in the truck is already a mustang motor sans the HO intake from the mustang. when my cousin owned the truck, the original motor seized so he swapped the mustang motor in and just bolted the truck intake on to avoid changing the wiring. No the bad is this motor is wore out because it was beaten and abused then left to rot for 5 years in the back yard. I got the truck earlier this year and have been driving it to school. I just purchased another new motor from a mustang with an E cam in it. My question now is when i put this motor in am I gonna notice a difference aside from no longer smoking and leaking oil all over the damn place?

lew52 11-23-2009 03:49 AM

Yes you will notice a difference , the E 303 cam is a good up grade over the stock HO cam . With the exhaust system you have it should run good , a set of GT 40 heads will make it much better & won't cost much..... Lew

Conanski 11-23-2009 09:19 AM

Yes there will be a difference.. it will be weaker at low rpms but will pull really well above 3000rpm, time for that gearing change. The heads only flow enough for about 280hp regardless what cam is in there, so this is a good platform to put better heads on.

biguglylongbed 11-23-2009 09:42 AM

well i guess it looks like im gonna try to find some heads today. Off to the junkyard to find an explorer.