Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Wind Noise 2007 Expedition Limited (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/904016-wind-noise-2007-expedition-limited.html)

67catmando 11-21-2009 10:14 AM

Wind Noise 2007 Expedition Limited

I noticed the wind noise before but I rarely drive the truck so it didn't drive me crazy before the warranty ran out. :-arrgh I went on a trip this weekend and did about 700 miles of straight driving around 75 mph. It was actually distracting and hard to carry on a conversation.

So, I checked the Forums and saw that there are TSBs for the Mirrors and the door weather stripping. I am sure the weather stripping is part of my problem because I poked the rubber with my finger as we drove and it modulated the noise I was hearing up and down. Especially in the upper rear corner of the passenger door (right by my ears!) I could actually see the door shaking around in the wind

I researched this problem but I still had a couple of questions.

1) I saw the test for taping the mirror to see if you need new mirrors. I do not understand how to tape this. If anyone knows, can you post a pic of a correctly taped mirror?

2) Since mine is out of warranty, these fixes are out of pocket. Does anyone know what the cost is on these two service bulletins? I am trying to get an idea if it is worth it.

3) Are there any other TSBs dealing with wind noise? I have seen 2 dealing with early 07 Expeditions. It sounds like I may need to bring the TSBs with me to get it handled right the first time.

berry1234 11-22-2009 04:05 PM

One of my posts has a picture of the area that needs to be taped. It's easy. take wide masking tape and cover the vertical section of the mirror that I point to in my pic. If your wind noise goes away drastically you have the bad mirrors.

As for the weather stripping, you can adjust the door striker inward a bit to make a tighter seal. I would try this and see if it helps. If not, your weather stripping may need to be replaced. The ones on my 07 that I had were replaced and it helped a little bit. The 07's in general are a bit more prone to wind noise, I can't say exactly why, as I can't see any real differenc, but my 08 is quieter. You will still hear some wind noise. You can move a 6,000lb object at 70mph and not have some wind noise.

67catmando 11-23-2009 01:37 PM

Thanks

I will give it a try today.

cobraburnout 12-26-2009 05:56 PM

adjust door stiker?

Berry, do you have any tips on adjusting the door striker? I loosend the two star head bolts but it looked like there was no adjustment like an older vehicle. Is there any adjustment on the latch side of the door itself?

thanks for any info you can give.

FIY my expedition has the wind noise problem on the passenger side. If you look at the top of the door from the inside you can actually see daylight between the weather stripping and the door.

berry1234 12-28-2009 10:46 PM

Once the star bolt are loose, hit it with a hammer a few times. It takes a bit to get it to move in. The nuts are surrounded by a sticky material that keeps them in place.

cobraburnout 12-29-2009 09:52 AM

cool.I will try that. thanks

cobraburnout 12-29-2009 05:39 PM

The sticky stuff must be made with supermans spit because I couldnt get the back plate to move. It flexed to the extreme but always went right back where it was to begin with. So I am unable to adjust the door striker and have a door that is visible not closed all the way. I'm so mad right now.:-banghead

berry1234 12-30-2009 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by cobraburnout (Post 8294086)
The sticky stuff must be made with supermans spit because I couldnt get the back plate to move. It flexed to the extreme but always went right back where it was to begin with. So I am unable to adjust the door striker and have a door that is visible not closed all the way. I'm so mad right now.:-banghead

Try this. Loosen the bolts, but not so they come out. Hit the striker with a hammer-cover it with a rag-a few times. Remove the rag. Push the striker inwards as you tighten one of the bolts. The adjustments are small. Also, if you want, before you start, take a grease pencil or dry eraser type pen and mark the outline of the strikers current position. Then when you adjust it, you can measure any movement. It is frustrating, but it will move.

When closed, is the door aligned with the other door, frame, etc? Could you post some pixs of the gaps and the weather stripping?