Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum35/)
-   -   Error code P0133 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/902082-error-code-p0133.html)

eigenvector 11-14-2009 01:32 PM

Error code P0133

My truck threw a check engine light on the way to work so I parked it and went back to commuting by motorcycle. Anyway, according to my scanner, code P0133 is coming up - bad O2 sensor on the passenger side if I'm not mistaken.

My question is this - is there any reason why I shouldn't just clear the code and drive on until it throws the error code a second time? Replacing the O2 sensor can be a major PIA - especially if it's rusted in place. So I don't want to replace the sensor unless I truly have to.

powersmoked 11-14-2009 02:03 PM

imho. i think it is always best to fix the issue before it does more damage. if the o2 sensor is before the cat, which i think it is in your case the truck will not run properly. the truck will run either lean or rich this in turn can do damge to your cat. if you lived in my state it would not pass the yearly inspection and would then have to be fixed. spray the thing a few times over a couple of days with liuquid wrench. it should pop right off

powersmoked 11-14-2009 02:08 PM

I just looked yours up on the website that i bought from. a direct fit o2 sensor for your truck is $35...........

eigenvector 11-14-2009 02:50 PM

Well the cost isn't the issue for me, it's the replacement of unnecessary parts.
Frankly I don't know how many things could trip this fault - bad thermostat, clogged injector, etc.. So again my hope is that it's something other than this. Although I guess the code will clear itself if the problem goes away on its own - so there's no need for me to clear it.

powersmoked 11-14-2009 03:16 PM

thrown some techron in there and maybe you will luck out. inho I dont think it is those things you mentioned but lets us no when you do get it figured out. i don't know how to do but you can check an o2 with a mm

powersmoked 11-14-2009 03:18 PM

one more thing if you know the history of the truck and the o2 sensor has never been changed it is passed it estimated life any ways, maintenance, baby, maintenance that is the key

powersmoked 11-14-2009 03:21 PM

one more thought why would you hope it is something other than a $35 and 15 minute fix. do you know what replacing injectors cost and entails. even a mc t-stat is $18 and you would probably have had other symptoms..........

powersmoked 11-14-2009 03:56 PM

drive it for a while and if the other bank o2 comes on then it could be the maf you could check the connection on the first o2 and spray it with some elctrical cleaner. see if that works or you could bring it to the stealership for $90 and have them take a quess for you.

pawpaw 11-15-2009 07:52 AM

The P0133 code is for the bank one (passenger side), before cat O2 sensor being lazy & not switching fast enough, or as expected.

This could be caused by a number of things, like old O2 sensors, they do get slow to respond with age, an exhaust leak, a whiff of coolant will make em sick, or put them to sleep, a wiring problem to the sensor, are some of the things that come to mind.

So since this will mess with fuel trim, you may notice some diveability problems, mpg, ping/spark knock, cat, or exhaust manafold running hot, ect problems.

Seeing as how your ride has over 100K miles, it wouldn't be surprising if the O2 sensors are just worn out.

Yes you can reset the code & move the vehicle, or drive it some to see if it'll turn on again & it probably will.

I agree with powersmoked, I wouldn't ignore this warning & drive it much, like on a long trip, or hard, until you get things checked out.

I had the same code & changed both before cat O2 sensors on my 94 3.8L Taurus that had about 100k miles on it last year & had no problem removing them, as the factory had applied a high temp nickel anti-sieze compound to their threads, so be sure to add that to your replacements, if they don't come with it already applied.

My new ones had some pn the threads, but not much, so I applied more, just be careful & don't get it on the sensor part.

Seeing as how my sensors had 100k on them & directly affect fuel trim, I decided to change Both sensors, so the computer would have a matched set to work with.

Be sure to pull the B- battery cable to wipe the computers memory, so it can begin to rebuild new fuel trim tables with the new O2 sensors input.

More thouhts for pondering.
Let us know how it goes.

eigenvector 11-15-2009 10:52 AM

I'll keep it in mind. I have an O2 sensor on hand already, been sitting in my garage in its plastic for 2 years now.
I hurt my back in April so I'm reluctant to get under the truck unless I have to - last time I tried getting down there to replace my hubs, bearings, and pads I was in pain for 3 weeks.

I did clear the sensor error, then went for a short trip this morning. Definitely running extra rich, so the path seems clear to me. I'll get a second O2 sensor and replace them as a set. If one's down it seems likely the other's about to go.

powersmoked 11-15-2009 11:24 AM

keep in mind that if codes for both precat o2 sensors come on there is a good chance it is the maf or an exhasust leak. sorry aout your back injuries suck ..