Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Right-hand drive instrument cluster (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/900482-right-hand-drive-instrument-cluster.html)

Justin's Green Truck 11-08-2009 08:15 AM

Right-hand drive instrument cluster

Hi, i had originally asked this in an older thread but figured i'd get more response by creating a new thread. The instrument cluster in this picture is from a brochure of a right-hand drive f250. Does anyone know if this would work on a left-hand drive 77 f150 custom? If so, where would you ever find one. I like the looks of those round gauges over the square ones mine uses. I saw some information that leads me to believe that cluster was from the ford cortina? Thanks in advance for the replies.
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ure312crop.jpg

73FordF100 11-08-2009 08:23 AM

I don't know about the guages but the dash bezel looks like one I have seen in a Ford Econoline van. In the Ford Econoline, I think they used this bezel but the same square guages from the 73-79 Ford F-Series. I will try to find a picture of it.

Justin's Green Truck 11-08-2009 08:28 AM

Well, i suppose that might help. The cluster that those round gauges are sitting in looks similar to the one that the left-hand drive f-series use so thats why i was wondering if it would swap over. Im sure there'd be some modifications though.

NumberDummy 11-08-2009 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Justin's Green Truck (Post 8120096)
Hi, i had originally asked this in an older thread but figured i'd get more response by creating a new thread. The instrument cluster in this picture is from a brochure of a right-hand drive f250. Does anyone know if this would work on a left-hand drive 77 f150 custom? If so, where would you ever find one. I like the looks of those round gauges over the square ones mine uses.

I saw some information that leads me to believe that cluster was from the ford cortina? :-huh

The English Ford Cortina is a passenger car, did not use this instrument cluster...though the round gauges do look kinda familiar.

I have a Cortina parts catalog around here somewhere, will take look-see if you're interested.

Ford brought the Cortina to the US in the mid 1960's, mechanics hated it.

Cortina is seven letter word, so is s**tbox, what they refered to it as.

Justin's Green Truck 11-08-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8120162)
The English Ford Cortina is a passenger car, did not use this instrument cluster.

Ford brought the Cortina to the US in the mid 1960's, mechanics hated it.

Cortina is seven letter word, so is s**tbox, what they refered to it as.

Ok. So was this cluster specific to the right hand drive f-series then?

NumberDummy 11-08-2009 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Justin's Green Truck (Post 8120167)
Ok. So was this cluster specific to the right hand drive f-series then?

I haven't a clue, I've never seen a RHD truck of this vintage.

The 1975/91 Econoline bezel is actually three separate pieces. This pic of the RHD truck seems to show the instrument cluster bezel as a one piece assembly.

I have no truck parts catalogs for these RHD trucks...which were sold in Australia/NewZealand/South Africa...where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Justin's Green Truck 11-08-2009 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8120188)
I haven't a clue, I've never seen a RHD truck of this vintage.

I have no truck parts catalogs for RHD trucks which were sold in Australia/NewZealand/South Africa...where they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Haha, yea I have no interest in having a right-hand drive truck. Id just like to see if someone has put that instrument cluster in one like mine. Or how to even get that instrument cluster.

NumberDummy 11-08-2009 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Justin's Green Truck (Post 8120206)
Haha, yea I have no interest in having a right-hand drive truck. Id just like to see if someone has put that instrument cluster in one like mine. Or how to even get that instrument cluster.

FTE has an International Chapter.

FTE Administrator IB Adrian is the chapter leader, is formerly from Australia (now lives here in LA LA Land). And...he formerly worked for Ford of Australia as an engineer.

I suggest you contact Adrian, or visit the chapter forum and ask your questions there.

Justin's Green Truck 11-08-2009 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8120233)
FTE has an International Chapter.

FTE Administrator IB Adrian is the chapter leader, is formerly from Australia (now lives here in LA LA Land). And, he once worked for Ford of Australia as an engineer.

I suggest you contact Adrian, or visit the chapter forum and ask your questions there.

alright i'll do that. Thanks for the info.

loudfords 11-10-2009 11:36 AM

Let us know what you find out, Justin. Looks like an interesting alternative to the factory gauges! Been looking in the other Aussie truck threads, looks like they added a RH bezel to the dash, and used a modified bezel in the LH side? Radio is in the same location as it is on left hand drive, not mirrored like you'd think. Also interesting to see the key on the column in the Aussie trucks...

Blown 331 11-10-2009 11:45 AM

Maybe check out using a dash from a 70s F-600? I have not researched this but if I remember correctly they have round gauges and I think the rest of the dash is very similar so it might swap.

Justin's Green Truck 11-10-2009 01:21 PM

Ok well I did some researching on the F600. Apparently the 70's F600 had a dash that was more similar to the 67-72 trucks than ours. A search in the bumpsides forum brought up a picture of one and it doesnt look like it'd work on a 73-79. And also there is some differences from what I understand from the 67's and the ones on up to 72. But that doesnt pertain to this.
I'll keep looking. Id just like to know what that instrument cluster is in the picture I posted and then go from there.
surely someone knows?

Blown 331 11-10-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Justin's Green Truck (Post 8128129)
Ok well I did some researching on the F600. Apparently the 70's F600 had a dash that was more similar to the 67-72 trucks than ours. A search in the bumpsides forum brought up a picture of one and it doesnt look like it'd work on a 73-79. And also there is some differences from what I understand from the 67's and the ones on up to 72. But that doesnt pertain to this.
I'll keep looking. Id just like to know what that instrument cluster is in the picture I posted and then go from there.
surely someone knows?

Will the whole dash (not just the cluster) from say a 1979 F-600 swap over? The reason I ask is because my uncle has a 1974 F-600 and now that you say that, the dash does look a bit more like a 67-72 dash, like as far as the ash tray. But the rest of the truck looks like my 1977. Such as the doors are the same, door panels are the same, etc. Just a thought. I think going this way is gonna be easier than that right had drive instrument panel. I tried installing a cluster from a 1975 into my 1977 to get the 100mph speedo and just that little difference wouldnt work, the wiring was different, hi beam indicator in different spot etc, I cant imagine a right hand cluster being any easier. I probably wouldn't try to pioneer the F-600 swap but I'd research to see if its been done thats for sure.

1977f150xlt 11-10-2009 03:02 PM

first off i would guess that right hand drive cluster is specially made for those right hand drive trucks, or it came out of a '75 and newer Econoline, not sure if they had Econoline vans in those right hand drive countries, but maybe they had a speical cluster that they shared with the F-series, as the '75-'91 Econoline vans share a very similar gauge cluster as the '73-'79 F-series trucks, just a thought,

also F100Racing (i think that's his user name) has a bright yellow dentside and he lives down under in Australia, so maybe he would know? and maybe he can hook you up with a cluster, and figure out if it will even tie into your wire harness, as these trucks have clusters that match the wiring harness (via the plug)

but i am interested, as the round gauges are kinda neat, and different,

-Brent

1977f150xlt 11-10-2009 03:08 PM

also that steering wheel almost looks like one out of a 1971 Ford Torino

1971 Ford Torino Front Dash Photo

now compare to the brochure,

http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/e...ure312crop.jpg

-Brent