Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   EcoBoost (all engine sizes) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum262/)
-   -   Good article on Ecoboost in F-150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/896072-good-article-on-ecoboost-in-f-150-a.html)

johndeerefarmer 10-24-2009 04:57 PM

Good article on Ecoboost in F-150

Farm Industry News has a report on the Ecoboost. Says 25% better fuel mileage than present. Hope that this hasn't been posted here already.
Ford's EcoBoost engine technology | A boost up

Tylus 10-24-2009 06:21 PM

nothing really in that article.

just states that the Taurus and MKV had the Ecoboost motor and that the F-150 is getting one eventually

Would be nice to see one in real life and read the specs on them

tseekins 10-25-2009 06:02 AM

Since the F-150 doesn't currently offer a V-6 power plant, will the Ecoboost provide 25% better economy than the 5.4L or the 4.6L 3v or the old 4.6L workhorse.

So, well take the worst case scenario and use the FX4 with the 5.4L and 3.73 axle rated at 14 city and 18 hwy.

By thier numbers, that becomes 17.5 city and 22.5 hwy.

Or if you use a 4x2 with the 3.15 axle rated at 21 hwy, you should jump to 26.25.

The Taurus and Flex aren't even rated to achieve these numbers, how will a 5000 lb 4x2 truck do it?

I think the 5.0L is going to be the way to go.

Tim

Ryan50hrl 10-27-2009 12:27 AM

read it over......17-18 mpg city and 20+ on the highway...... with an estimated torque at around 400......sounds good to me

tseekins 10-27-2009 05:38 AM

If that's the way you want to go then good luck with that. Historically, Ford's turbo gas burners haven't exactly answered the call of durability. This one may be different. I'm not willing to find out. It's speculated and posted here that the naturally aspirated 5.0L will produce very similar power numbers to the Ecoboost with MPG's very similar to the 2009 5.4L equipped trucks. I'm good with that.

I'm not trusting the new 6.7L or the ecoboost until time has proven that they are what Ford says they will be.

Tim

Power Kid 10-27-2009 08:06 AM

Yes but 5.0Lis more high strung, 4 valver.

EB will have much better low end tq. Big flat tq curve.

Not sure I agree with turbo comment. All those turbo coupes went a long time as long as they had good oil.

powerstroke72 10-27-2009 09:27 AM

+1 on the Ford turbos. I had an '88 T-bird Turbo Coupe that had 198,000 on it when i sold it to my sister. Oil changed every 5000 and ran only Mobil 1 synthetic from day one. The only engine problem I ever had was an intake hose that blew a clamp and came off. Quick 5 minute fix with a new clamp. And, it routinely got almost 30 MPG on my daily 140 mile commute.

tseekins 10-27-2009 07:36 PM

Gentlemen, I'm simply trying to figure out which existing F-150 drivetrain that the ECOBOOST will surpass by 25% in MPG's.

The T-bird Turbo Coupe was a smaller and lighter car than the Flex and Taurus and the engine was a four banger. John, I'm impressed with the endurance of yours. I knew a few people that had not so good luck with theirs.

I want Ford to succeed with all of thier ventures, I'm just not willing to stick my toe in the water first.

Tim

powerstroke72 10-27-2009 07:44 PM

I know what you mean Tim. My T-bird was a fantastic car. I think a lot of that can be attributed to my maintenance routine on it. Not all, but most vehicles are like that. If you are rigorous with the maintenance and drive responsibly, they usually repay you with longevity.

The EcoBoost is an outstanding engine. However, I don't think it's quite living up to some of the hype about its fuel mileage. That said, you have to pay to play. I personally don't see it getting the projected / estimated mileage in the F-150 that some are saying it will get. And, I think it will see a significant drop off in MPGs when towing or hauling heavy. Beyond that though, from the looks of the current torque curve of the 3.5 EcoBoost, if it stays the same in the trucks or improves slightly, it's going to be one hell of a pulling engine. If they reach that projected goal of 400 lbs./ft. of torque with the flat torque curve it currently has, watch out.

tseekins 10-27-2009 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 8079994)
I know what you mean Tim. My T-bird was a fantastic car. I think a lot of that can be attributed to my maintenance routine on it. Not all, but most vehicles are like that. If you are rigorous with the maintenance and drive responsibly, they usually repay you with longevity.

The EcoBoost is an outstanding engine. However, I don't think it's quite living up to some of the hype about its fuel mileage. That said, you have to pay to play. I personally don't see it getting the projected / estimated mileage in the F-150 that some are saying it will get. And, I think it will see a significant drop off in MPGs when towing or hauling heavy. Beyond that though, from the looks of the current torque curve of the 3.5 EcoBoost, if it stays the same in the trucks or improves slightly, it's going to be one hell of a pulling engine. If they reach that projected goal of 400 lbs./ft. of torque with the flat torque curve it currently has, watch out.

You sir are correct about the maintanence. Your post is definately inspiring and the future should prove to be interesting.

Reading the article, it would appear that the 3.5L EB is only vaguely similar to the conventional 3.5L. It seems that the EB was built with different alloys and the motor basically re-engineered to handle the heat and TQ output.

Tim

powerstroke72 10-27-2009 08:57 PM

I guess all we can do is wait and see Tim. I'm cautiously optomistic that it'll be a great engine. Ford seems to be on a roll as of late with their ongoing engineering and quality improvements. I hope that it continues as they now are on par with and ahead of some of the more respected names in the auto business in terms of quality. Hopefully, they'll have it right straight out of the box with this and the new diesel in the Super Duty.

Right now, I'm torn between trading trucks or keeping mine and buying a new Taurus. I'm going to have to do a little pondering.:-X04

Ryan50hrl 10-27-2009 09:02 PM

Again...read over the article and it says 17-18 mpg with 20+ on the highway.....who cares which one thats 25% better with.....i'd take 17-18 city any day.....i'd even give up a bit of power to get it....

heathk2003 10-27-2009 10:59 PM

No way it will get 17-18 in town in the f150. The ecoboost in the flex (which is 800-1000lbs lighter and more aerodynamic) is epa rated 16 in town. Even the ecoboost mercury car is only rated for epa 17 city.

B's FX4 10-27-2009 11:45 PM

i got to ride in a sho this weekend, and i noticed how loud the engine sounded? like a bunch of ticking going on! anyone else hear this or is it just me?

tseekins 10-28-2009 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by powerstroke72 (Post 8080357)
I guess all we can do is wait and see Tim. I'm cautiously optomistic that it'll be a great engine. Ford seems to be on a roll as of late with their ongoing engineering and quality improvements. I hope that it continues as they now are on par with and ahead of some of the more respected names in the auto business in terms of quality. Hopefully, they'll have it right straight out of the box with this and the new diesel in the Super Duty.

Right now, I'm torn between trading trucks or keeping mine and buying a new Taurus. I'm going to have to do a little pondering.:-X04

MEEEEEEEEEEE too John. I was just telling my bride last night that I've nearly abandooned the idea of getting a new truck as it's simply not a wise move right now. My '88 is running like a Mack truck and I can't justify letting it go.

I've become increasingly intrigued by the new Taurus and Fusion. And, I've become quite spooked by the future of fuel prices.

Tim