Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   88 F250 Wiper Motor Removal Question (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/894246-88-f250-wiper-motor-removal-question.html)

3BadBirds 10-18-2009 05:41 PM

88 F250 Wiper Motor Removal Question

After many years of groaning, I think my wiper motor has finally bit the dust. Now when I turn it on (at any speed) I just hear the breaker in the wiper switch clicking away. I know when I have replaced motors on other trucks and cars, I was often able to just unbolt the motor to get enough clearance to uncouple the transmission linkage. Has anyone tried this before on their 88 F250, and can you tell me if it’s a nut or a clip I should be looking for? I’m hoping to avoid having to remove the cowl to gain access.
<O:p</O:p
Thanks

Blue Rebel 10-18-2009 06:20 PM

its a clip, good luck doing it without taking the cowl off.

BTW, why dont you want to remove the cowl? Its only like 10 screws and it comes right off...

BearFootCustom 10-18-2009 06:41 PM

Take the cowel off and you can replace the motor in seconds. Or you can fight with it for a couple hours and not take it off.

3BadBirds 10-18-2009 07:22 PM

I’m a little apprehensive about messing with the cowl because my truck was repainted before I got it (not the best of jobs) and I’m not sure how well this piece will “separate” from the rest of the body without damaging the paint. Also, don’t you have to remove the windshield trim to get to some of the screws? I’ve never had this trim off before but it looks like someone had used some sealant around a lot of it. I figured that might be another can or worms.

Its not that I’m really against removing the cowl. I just figured that if I can disconnect the motor without messing with it, why not. That’s why I figured I checked in with the group first.

Thanks!

Blue Rebel 10-18-2009 07:46 PM

Nope, the only screws holding the cowl down are the ones you see from up top, and on the lip by the hood. the cowl slides under the windshield trim, nothing holds it down from under there.

MrRogers 10-18-2009 08:54 PM

if you are afraid about the paint, just take a utility knife and score it. If it's gonna flake, that should contain it. Then touch up paint is your best friend when you reinstall. Done this multiple times and always had great luck.

3BadBirds 10-19-2009 06:46 AM

Thanks for the info! Not having to remove the trim is certainly good news.

I'll take a look and report back!

Thanks again for the help!

3BadBirds 10-20-2009 04:52 PM

You guys were right. It would have been a nitemare trying to get that motor / clip out without first removing the cowl.

Now that I have it out and all the arms disconnected, is there any particular procedure for reinstalling everything? I didn’t know if they should be a particular position before I connect them to the motor and don’t want a jam. I was just going to fasten them and then put the arms back on after the motor parks.

Thanks again for the help

Volvo92906 10-20-2009 07:30 PM

If the wiper motor is in the same position for the arms to work properly, all you need to do is bolt on the new one and plug everything up. Its not anything to worry about. Dont overthink it.

3BadBirds 10-20-2009 08:11 PM

I had to remove the bracket and arm that was attached to the old motor to use on the new. The shaft on the motor is sloted so the arm can be mounted in two different directions and I don't remember how it came off. Guess it doesn't matter....

Cheers!

Volvo92906 10-21-2009 05:10 AM

Turn the new motor on and park it. Then hook up the wiper arms in the parked position. No problem.