Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   How to fix wiper "bounce"? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/893819-how-to-fix-wiper-bounce.html)

DBGrif91 10-17-2009 06:58 AM

How to fix wiper "bounce"?

A search didn't produce any results for this particular problem.

Anyway, my wipers work just fine as far as settings go, but every time I use them they "bounce" across the windshield rather than wipe smoothly. It's done this for as long as I've owned the truck and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with condition of the wiper blades. I've replaced them twice since owning it [a little over 2 years now] and they still do it.

Just don't know what to do about it. The only thing I can think of is if there's some way to tighten the springs inside the arms, but I don't know for sure.

Thoughts/Suggestions? :confused:

Thanks.

jplinville 10-17-2009 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by DBGrif91 (Post 8043865)
A search didn't produce any results for this particular problem.

Anyway, my wipers work just fine as far as settings go, but every time I use them they "bounce" across the windshield rather than wipe smoothly. It's done this for as long as I've owned the truck and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with condition of the wiper blades. I've replaced them twice since owning it [a little over 2 years now] and they still do it.

Just don't know what to do about it. The only thing I can think of is if there's some way to tighten the springs inside the arms, but I don't know for sure.

Thoughts/Suggestions? :confused:

Thanks.

My 91 F-150 used to do this. I went to the local pick-n-pull and snagged another set of arms and removed the springs. I was able to, due to my job, locate another set of springs that were the same wire size, but 2 coils shorter and re-install the springs. It worked much better.

You may be able to remove the springs and bend the loops to make them shorter, but I didn't want to take the time to do that when I had other's available for my use.

DBGrif91 10-17-2009 07:06 AM

I guess I should have mentioned that mine is a 91 F150 as well. I will pull the arms off and see what I might be able to do.

Thanks for the suggestion.

muscletruck7379 10-17-2009 10:28 AM

you might also want to try cleaning your blades with some rubbing alcohol, and cleaning your windshield really good with some ammonia.

ArdWrknTrk 10-17-2009 02:01 PM

I replaced my arms...
If that fails realize that the linkage from the motor to those wipers is probably as worn as mine.
I don't know if there are bushings available to take the slop out, but I'm subscribing to find an answer.

Adamjr 10-17-2009 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by muscletruck7379 (Post 8044227)
you might also want to try cleaning your blades with some rubbing alcohol, and cleaning your windshield really good with some ammonia.

I agree with using a really good window cleaner on the windshield. There are some spray foam ones (can't remember the brand, sorry) available in the car wash and cleaning section of most big auto supply stores.

As far as alcohol, never use it on rubber. What it does for you in the short term in removing dirt it is the worst possible thing to use on rubber. It will cause your blades to dry up in really short order. I speak from 15 years experience where I clean rubber parts all day every day.

Now for the best way you will probably laugh but it works when I have rubber with grip issues. First clean the blades really well with a non-ammonia and non-alcohol window cleaner. Then take some Lubriderm hand lotion (yes, I did intentionally type Lubriderm) and sparingly apply it to a lint free paper towel so it just wets the surface of the towel. Rub the blades with the moistened towel in full length strokes about 5 times each.

I came up with the Lubriderm fix about 12 years ago working on a piece of equipment for a very pretty woman with a real cheap boss that didn't want to replace parts that needed replacing. I dug through my bag and figured what the heck. The fix lasted 5 years until a board went and they replaced the machine.

jade79 10-17-2009 07:00 PM

The ones on my 95 do this as well. I can replace the blades and they go back to doing it again very soon after. Yet I never have trouble with the ones on my 79 and I get both blades from the same parts store. When I lift the blades away from the windshield it seems the rubber has deformed (bent down) from the constant downward pressure of the arm springs. I've seen some cars that have a little plastic "ramp or spacer" where the arms park and slightly lift off the windshield so there's no pressure on the rubber blades. I've always wanted to fabricate something like this for the 95 in hopes it would solve the problem. Trouble is, it's just way down on my "to do" list and I haven't done it yet.

jplinville 10-17-2009 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk (Post 8044646)
I replaced my arms...
If that fails realize that the linkage from the motor to those wipers is probably as worn as mine.
I don't know if there are bushings available to take the slop out, but I'm subscribing to find an answer.

If you know someone with a lathe available for use, then bushings are readily available ;)

87 XLT 10-18-2009 01:11 AM

On my wifes 95 Taurus the driver side wiper would bounce in one direction only.

The problem was a twist in the wiper arm which pushed the blade in one direction (bounce) and pulled it in the other direction (no bounce)

A simple twist of the arm with 2 crescent wrenches corrected it.

TexasGuy001 10-18-2009 07:53 AM

I think the bushings are available in the "HELP" section.

The wiper linkage on my truck was worn out, so I got new linkage parts from NPD or LMC.

DBGrif91 10-18-2009 10:24 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions/advice guys. I'm hoping to get the arms pulled off this afternoon to have a look at things and see what I want to do with them.

87XLT- as far as twisting my wiper arms goes... there's currently no [obvious] twist already in them, so I don't think that's an issue. But I'll see how things go and then maybe I'll end up trying that anyway.

gladesteen 10-18-2009 04:59 PM

My 93 is doing the exact same thing. I've tried everything inluding, yesterday, changing out the arms. It still goes back to its crazy hopping madness......it MUST be the linkage.
I've heard that its a royal PITA to get to the backside of the motor to see what's going on, but i dont think i have a choice.

-Glade

rikard 10-18-2009 05:57 PM

On my 94 the bounce was caused by a bad electrical connection at the module under the pass side dash.
regards
rikard

9.ford.5 10-18-2009 09:39 PM

look at the wiper blades against the windshield, they should come up perpendicular to the glass, if they are too far out the blade pushes ahead of the arm causing the chattering, when it should switch and drag behind the arm so there is no chatter...look like this _|_ youre golden, look like this _\_ or this _/_ and you gotta bend the arms to correct as mentioned above, this is also why your blades would be bent in one direction

my 91 the wipers jolt across the glass but its not the wipers themselves it got to be something with the linkage or motors, it only happens once in a while, like the motor is spinning out then catching again