Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Michigan Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum85/)
-   -   Introduction for MI group (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/892535-introduction-for-mi-group.html)

Bourbonlvr 10-12-2009 11:02 PM

Introduction for MI group

I will soon be the new owner of a 2010 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 in Blue Flame. I have a few months left on a Silverado lease so I ordered the new Blue from the factory with all the stuff I want on it. Hopefully I will have the new Ford before the snow flies but in MI that could be tomorrow.

drubber 10-13-2009 09:20 AM

:-jammin congrats on the new purchase!

Talyn 10-13-2009 09:58 AM

Grats!!!!!

Getting rid of that chebby is a good idea!

Bourbonlvr 10-22-2009 11:10 PM

Curiousity

My new F-150 is coming with the 4.6l 3v engine in a 4x4. I have been going back and forth on whether or not I should have gone for the 5.4l instead. I do not tow anything generally. I once towed a wood chipper. The new truck will have the tow package on it but not the max tow, in the event I break down and buy a snowmobile or jet ski. Would you say the 4.6 is a good engine?

:-X25

300 Buster 10-22-2009 11:45 PM

Congratulations on the new Ford! I would think that if you tow a snowmobile or jet ski on one of those light trailers,you probably won't hardly know it's back there.That is really pretty light towing,but I'll give you a little advise on the trailer you may get,go with large wheels.The tiny wheels are running about a 140mph when your running 70mph,hence they go through wheel bearings and tires.I live in Hudson (10 miles north of OH.)and run 365 miles to my house in Paradise in the U.P. and see at least one trailer with tire or wheel bearing along the highway each trip.:-X22

Talyn 10-23-2009 01:37 AM

haha. yea. i have problem with one of my trailers. it acting weird with weight on it.

300 Buster 10-23-2009 09:00 AM

You may want to check your tires and bearings.They are one of those "out of sight,out of mind" things.They usually don't get much use,there for,not much attention.Boat trailers are real bad,because the seals get bad,then when they go under water at the lake launch,they pick up water,then rust,then bye bye bearings.There may be something else causing your problem,but I would check them first.I drilled my hubs right between the bearings and put in grease fittings so I can give it a shot now and then,this after I spent over $100 for bearings for 2 wheels (took special heavy duty bearings),so I want to take good care of them.

Talyn 10-23-2009 09:57 AM

I put all new bearings in it and the problem didn't go away.

No idea what causing it.
only does it with the 4wheeler on it, but it worked fine for years with the same 4wheeler.

The old bearings were all burnt but one. So I know why it was swaying then, but now I cannot figure out what the deal is.

300 Buster 10-23-2009 06:38 PM

By 4 wheeler,you mean ATV? Anything change on it?Every time I've had a problem with sway,it's been related to tongue weight,but that's always been on the highway,get her going at 75mph and it will put you right up on the wheel.How about tire pressure on the rear of the 4 wheeler? or weight taken off the front?You will find it,something is different.Good luck with it.

Talyn 10-23-2009 08:04 PM

nothing changed over the years on the 4wheeler.
(yes atv)

Just started swaying one day, and stoped when i slowed down, didn't do it for the next 300 miles.
Then did it the whole 450 mile trip home.
Checked bearings, they were burnt bad.
Everything else was good. put in new bearings, and it still sways.

Capital Customs 10-24-2009 06:52 AM

William, you need to slow down your always rolling at 100. relax stay cool
the place you are going will be there when you get there.:-X24

Talyn 10-24-2009 10:00 AM

laf. rolling at 100.

Yea, had to drive back 45 mile per hour that trip. was really LONG trip
trailer still swayed and bucked most of the trip.

300 Buster 10-24-2009 01:20 PM

Hey William,can you post a couple shots of that trailer,maybe one from the front underside and just a regular good picture of it? This has got me going now.I'm taking for granted that you are using proper tongue weight,if that thing is running light on the tongue,nothing will stop it until it's loaded properly.But there has to be something causing it,trailers are just not that hard to make right.

Talyn 10-24-2009 03:05 PM

Like i said. I think something is tweaked in it.

No reason for the same load to change after 4 years of using it.
get what i'm saying?
No problems for 4 years, then it not work right?
I know why the trailer was swaying before. bad bearings.
but with the new bearings, i duno what the deal is.

I thought it was the tongue before. but I pinched that together so it cannot sway. I'ma have to check if it is centered.

My whole honest opinion is that the 4wheeler is to heavy for the trailer. Its not a big trailer. but it should be able to haul the 4wheeler.
I welded 2 1/2 ton rotors on the front of it to add about 30-40 lbs whatever those things weigh to make more tongue weight, still did it.
I've loaded 100 lbs of corn on the front, no difference.
Just has to be over weighted, or the axle is tweaked.
It works fine with a light load, or so my father says.
I duno, its his trailer.
I personally dont like it, but i was not around to help him make the purchase.

68, 60 Effie 11-04-2009 01:29 PM

Welcome to FTE. You will find a lot of good info on this site.
What is your favorite Bourbon? I am partial to Woodford Reserve. I also like Bookers. Well, I guess just about any Bourbon will do....