Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tennessee Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum95/)
-   -   What I've been up to lately....... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891504-what-ive-been-up-to-lately.html)

KDPate 10-09-2009 02:59 PM

What I've been up to lately.......

Haven't forgotten about you guys or this place. Just been playing with some of my old toys that I pulled out of storage this summer.......

1946 Simplicity "D". Was a wreck when I bought it in 1997.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_0608.jpg

1950 Sear David Bradley. Belonged to my grandfather. Restored it in 1996.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_0607.jpg

1935 International Harvester "LA" engine. 2hp. Finally got it running right after restoring/moving it arund the garage the past 9 yrs.....
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...e/100_0663.jpg

Took a vacation from vehicles this summer and played with these. Went to a few shows and had some fun hanging out. Just needto get some other projects that I've had in crates for the past 8 yrs back on track.

Good part is I use my F-150 to haul all of the around.....:D

maples01 10-09-2009 07:08 PM

I need to get a carb and ignition and start on my Maytag engine, saw the washing machine for it but couldn't afford it.

torkum 10-09-2009 08:04 PM

Kevin I luv the sound of those 2 cyl like your '35 IH. Nice collection.

lariat97 10-10-2009 06:38 AM

I've got to get my old 56 John Deere Model 70 cleaned up & running good. I'll post a pic of it soon.

lariat97 10-10-2009 07:33 AM

I guess I'll have to take some new pics of my old tractor. I don't have one on my puter. Torkum you would love the sound of it if you like the sound of a 2 cylinder motor. Its a old popping Johnnie.

torkum 10-10-2009 08:01 AM

Yea Howard, I do like that pop pop pop sound. Its always the first sound I hear at the Wilson Co. Fair. They use it to make corn meal at the fair :9

maples01 10-10-2009 08:29 AM

The youtube videos of the Maytag engine I have is like that, pop pop, as it hits then the dead stroke, it's a 90 I believe.

KDPate 10-10-2009 08:50 AM

Maples01,

I have a Maytag engine as well (Model 92 single cylinder). I need to get a new carb gasket and new plugs for mine instead of it being a workbench queen...:-X18 Best place to find Maytag parts is Bob's Small engine repair up north. Also check smokstak.com and look in the small engine section. Lots of good info and some great tips. Since you live in Murfreesboro I can help ya out with it:-X0A6

Tim, the IH is actually a one cylinder engine. Hard to beleive that a single cylinder 2hp engine could weigh 260 lbs!!!!!!! Gotta love technology moving forward. I'd actually like to find the small power unit that used the same engine from the "H" John Deere tractor but all I can find is the "D" size power unit and it is HHHHEEEEEAAAAAAVVVVVYYYYY. Would need a dedicated trailer for it.

Gotta few other future projects that I need to photograph as well.....and get my butt in gear working on...

maples01 10-10-2009 09:15 AM

Mine is in east TN, I could bring it here if I had help with it, ebay has a guy selling reconditioned carbs, will buy non working ones, so I'm thinking about selling him mine after buying one. The piston is stuck in it right now, I unbolted the head to find this out. It was from my great grandmothers house, my uncle used it to pump water from the creek, turning the engine into a pump, I think that's why it's frozen.

KDPate 10-10-2009 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by maples01 (Post 8019986)
Mine is in east TN, I could bring it here if I had help with it, ebay has a guy selling reconditioned carbs, will buy non working ones, so I'm thinking about selling him mine after buying one. The piston is stuck in it right now, I unbolted the head to find this out. It was from my great grandmothers house, my uncle used it to pump water from the creek, turning the engine into a pump, I think that's why it's frozen.

A guy in the Maytag section of Smokstak named Mark Shulaw will rebuild your carb for you; all you have to do is ship it. The carbs are very simple and there isn't much to go wrong in them; only the check ball for the fuel feed tube and the air valve are the only two areas of any issue. The best way to unstick the piston from the "jug" is to let them soak in diesel fuel for a few weeks. Just be careful cause the piston is aluminum and the rod is silicon bronze or brass; both are soft.

When you get it up here gimme a shout and I'll help ya get it back in running shape..:-jammin

Customcab 10-10-2009 10:26 AM

Great summer time fun you done Kevin; especially being able to restore your Bradley from your grandfather collection. looks cool as heck!!!!!

Mitch

lariat97 10-10-2009 10:28 AM

I had a Model A before I got the 70. It wasn't as big as the 70. It was a 1948 model.

maples01 10-10-2009 11:41 AM

Pistons are cast iron, that's what mine looks like and a replacement I've seen.
The carb has corroded like aluminum will with age, I'm sure it's a mess, the guy sells it for $50, not sure what I can get from mine, it's worth not having to deal with it. I read an air filter is needed to cause enough restriction to cause it to suck fuel up into it, plug is easy, it's the same one used in the Model T, but plug wire may be a problem.

KDPate 10-11-2009 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by maples01 (Post 8020329)
Pistons are cast iron, that's what mine looks like and a replacement I've seen.
The carb has corroded like aluminum will with age, I'm sure it's a mess, the guy sells it for $50, not sure what I can get from mine, it's worth not having to deal with it. I read an air filter is needed to cause enough restriction to cause it to suck fuel up into it, plug is easy, it's the same one used in the Model T, but plug wire may be a problem.

Went out and double checked mine and it was aluminum (magnet didn't stick). Thinking there was an engineering change or someone put in a replacement back down the road.:-X21 How bad is the corrosion? Has it pitted the metal bad? I've run mine w/o an air filter succesfully before I shelved it but have seen them run both ways at shows with no ill effects. Spark Plug wire is easy to come by. Just get a foot of generic plug wire (sold in the tractor section @ TSC or by leepedresen.com for the designer wire) and make to length. I put a fork connector on the plug end that way I can just pull it off to change plugs along with allowing the ground strap to touch the plug to stop it running.

KDPate 10-11-2009 04:19 PM

Edit: The piston in the Maytag IS cast iron. Found the magnet missing on the end of my telescoping magnet. Darn cats getting in my tool box again....:rolleyes: