Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transit Connect (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum228/)
-   -   Somewhat disappointed (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891431-somewhat-disappointed.html)

KhanTyranitar 10-09-2009 09:52 AM

Somewhat disappointed

Must say, It is functional at what it does, but what a disappointment. I like that Ford is building a smaller more fuel efficient little fleet van. But this thing is to me disappointingly small. I drive an Aerostar and was hoping a Transit could be a good future replacement, but it is just too small. The Transit is about the same size as the old shorty Aerostar. I was hopping for something that can haul larger stuff, while still being smaller and more fuel efficient than a half ton van. I'm just going to stick with the Aerostar for a while.

whatstar1117 10-14-2009 05:16 PM

I agree. For use as a work van, I'd need another 2' of usable length. Still couldn't close the doors on 8' sheet stock but for occasional hauling of plywood/drywall I could work around that issue as I have have with my Aero shorty.

tseekins 10-23-2009 06:04 AM

My local dealer has a few of them so I took a gander. Not real impressed with it's size nor it's engine choice.

One also has to remember that the van was designed for the European market.

I think Chrysler hit a homer with the Dodge Sprinter. This van can be had as a shorty, a dually, a diesel, a gasser, work van or a camper.

Tim

NumberDummy 10-23-2009 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 8064630)
I think Chrysler :-huh hit a homer with the Dodge Sprinter.

In the US/Canada it's a Dodge, but...in name only.

The Sprinter is made by Daimler AG, formerly Daimler/Chrysler, formerly Daimler-Benz aka Mercedes-Benz.

In Festung Europa and other locales, the grille has the traditional Mercedes-Benz 3 pointed star on it.

tseekins 10-23-2009 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 8064668)
In the US/Canada it's a Dodge, but...in name only.

The Sprinter is made by Daimler AG, formerly Daimler/Chrysler, formerly Daimler-Benz aka Mercedes-Benz.

In Festung Europa and other locales, the grille has the traditional Mercedes-Benz 3 pointed star on it.

You seem a little turned off by my post about the Sprinter. Ford truely missed the boat in the mini van segment and now the Euro van as well. The auto industry is opportunistic. Companies like Chrysler have many opportunities to improve quality and Ford has numerous opportunities to improve on design / style and function, IMHO.

Tim

NumberDummy 10-23-2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by tseekins (Post 8064944)
You seem a little turned off by my post about the Sprinter. Ford truely missed the boat in the mini van segment and now the Euro van as well. The auto industry is opportunistic. Companies like Chrysler have many opportunities to improve quality and Ford has numerous opportunities to improve on design / style and function, IMHO.

Tim

I totally agree with you on the failure of FoMoCo's mini-van program.

The Aerostar, Windstar and Freestar were dis-appointments, fraught with overheating, electrical and transmission problems and in addition, the Aerostar...with structural problems.

Ppl with Aerostars prolly don't know that Ford delayed the introduction of the Aerostar because the rear floor pan cracked.

Even after the Aerostars were introduced, the problem still existed. Ford came out with a 'fix' that consisted of different lengths of angle iron that had to be welded to the floor pan.

Ford hyped the Aerostar when it was introduced, telling dealers that within three years, Ford would "take command" of the mini-van market (from ChryCo). It never happened.

Have you ever been to Europe? The Transit Connect in very popular in Europe and other environs where the ancient streets are narrow, and parking is at an absolete premium.

As in Europe, not everyone here in the US needs a behemoth sized vehicle to move goods.

rustyoldford 10-25-2009 06:38 AM

Soliciting for Pictures - Page 75 - Sprinter-Forum

Because I can't seem to just bring the pic over here, what is that big white van sporting the blue oval????? They called it a transit. That sucker is way to big for the transits here in the states. Theres another pic on page 77 about 7 posts down. At least I think thats the big one

tlk50 10-25-2009 08:04 PM

I was really considering buying the new Transit Connect Cargo for my service vehicle. But, after reading the consumer reports for new vans I think I'll wait a year are two. The roominess was OK as well as the handling. I could even live with the minimal hauling space and the Plain Jane interior. What changed my mind was the dog of an engine they put in it. It would suffice I suppose if you never got it out of the city street mode but if your doing a lot of highway driving it doesn't cut the Mustard! If a Vespa past you, you couldn't catch it. I'll stick to my AWD Astro for a few more years and look at it again. Yes Astro, I sold my Aerostar after it stranded me a few times with electrical problems then the tranny went, it had 87k on it. I've own a couple of full size E series van in the past and they are great except for the gas prices now and they are really to large for what I need.
Anyhow, that's my 2 cents.
Tim

BrockwayMT 10-29-2009 06:41 PM

They should offer it in diesel manual like they do in Europe. In fact I think it is only offered in diesel manual there.

96_4wdr 10-30-2009 03:27 AM

the Transit does have a niche here in the US
small delivery van in crowded cities. all the small shops such as florists are dying from delivery fuel costs and lack of parking spaces on delivery
Aerostar was very popular in this roll because it was so reliable.
Owning a Chry. Corp minivan was like owing "The Thing from Hell"

Ford will be very lucky if it catches on with the young singles crowd, too butt ugly and not generation XY unique such at the Scion Xb or that Honda thing.

see lots of Mercedes Sprinters with the big CircleX on the hood here now since Dodge and Freightliner are no longer handling the line
service companies love them, powerful and will carry a monstrous load.
drive like a dream but the stock seats can kill in 1 hour.

seen a number of the Mercedes as Class C motorhomes; generator, roof sat dish and all

Ford is losing the E series van market it totally owned for years.