Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L) (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum48/)
-   -   2005 4.6 2 valve in a 68 F100 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/891370-2005-4-6-2-valve-in-a-68-f100.html)

Shoestring 10-08-2009 11:28 PM

2005 4.6 2 valve in a 68 F100

Hello all I am new to this forum of the Modular Ford V8s. I am trying a project of putting a newer motor in an older truck. I have all wiring harnesses inside the engine compartment including the stock computer. I am however new to making a computer driven motor fire up. I know I could buy an after market computer and wiring harness but would like to save that money for other things on this project. I have a wiring diagram on order for this motor but would like to know what sensors does this motor need to have to opperate properly and what can I omit? Also any other tips you guys might have on how to make this baby fire up would be helpfull.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i1...r/100_1203.jpg

SS

LxMan1 10-09-2009 05:24 PM

Well, these require pretty much all of the sensors to run properly. The PCM uses inputs from all of them. You do have the instrument cluster too don't you? I'm pretty sure it is required to release the PATS system and allow the PCM to let the engine run.

Shoestring 10-09-2009 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by LxMan1 (Post 8017953)
Well, these require pretty much all od the sensors to run properly. The PCM uses inputs from all of them. You do have the instrument cluster too don't you? I'm pretty sure it is required to release the PATS system and allow the PCM to let the engine run.

Hmm I have access to the cluster but I did not pull the system from the car. What is the PATS system?

Johnny Langton 10-10-2009 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Shoestring (Post 8018368)
Hmm I have access to the cluster but I did not pull the system from the car. What is the PATS system?

PATS
Passive
Anti
Theft
System

It marries the cluster, key, and the PCM to each other. If all three do not match, then the PCM will not allow the engine to start. Aftermarket tuning can disable this "feature", allowing startup without the original cluster or key being present.
JL

Shoestring 10-10-2009 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Langton (Post 8020376)
PATS
Passive
Anti
Theft
System

It marries the cluster, key, and the PCM to each other. If all three do not match, then the PCM will not allow the engine to start. Aftermarket tuning can disable this "feature", allowing startup without the original cluster or key being present.
JL

Had not thought about the need for a tuning device prior to being able to start the motor. What tuners work best with these motors or does it matter? Are these chips or a programmer that you have to purchase?

Shoestring 10-10-2009 05:55 PM

double post

Johnny Langton 10-10-2009 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Shoestring (Post 8021269)
Had not thought about the need for a tuning device prior to being able to start the motor. What tuners work best with these motors or does it matter? Are these chips or a programmer that you have to purchase?

I'd suggest finding a vendor that can make a custom program for what you're doing. Are you using the trans from the donor vehicle? There are many things that'll need to be accounted for in this application,and there are many vendors that can get you lined out on the proper methods of powertrain control in this type of application.
I see you're in Texas by your profile-whereabouts are you at?
JL

Shoestring 10-10-2009 07:58 PM

I am in Amarillo. So visiting a custom programmer could fix what problems I might run into? Yes I am using or plan on using the donor vehicle transmission. It is supposed to be a good one.

Johnny Langton 10-10-2009 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Shoestring (Post 8021734)
I am in Amarillo. So visiting a custom programmer could fix what problems I might run into? Yes I am using or plan on using the donor vehicle transmission. It is supposed to be a good one.

A custom program will fix most of the issues in the PCM,but you'll still need to do some wiring,etc....I'll see who I know of that's reliable and close to your location if you'd like,and get you their contact info.
JL

Shoestring 10-11-2009 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny Langton (Post 8022573)
A custom program will fix most of the issues in the PCM,but you'll still need to do some wiring,etc....I'll see who I know of that's reliable and close to your location if you'd like,and get you their contact info.
JL

If you could that would be helpfull. Wiring will not be bad if I have a good wiring diagram to follow. I have one in the mail so I should be good to go when I get it.

Rusty 63 11-06-2009 06:50 PM

I'm new here & I'm right behind you! I was about to buy a wrecked cruiser at auction today, but let it go because after spending hours searching the net for info on getting the 4.6 2v to run in the truck, I was left thinking it was going to cost over $1200 bucks - and I still had to pull the entire harness out & send it to them (doesn't sound like much fun in a twisted wreck!). I should've checked here first! Have you had any luck yet?

Shoestring 11-09-2009 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Rusty 63 (Post 8115167)
I'm new here & I'm right behind you! I was about to buy a wrecked cruiser at auction today, but let it go because after spending hours searching the net for info on getting the 4.6 2v to run in the truck, I was left thinking it was going to cost over $1200 bucks - and I still had to pull the entire harness out & send it to them (doesn't sound like much fun in a twisted wreck!). I should've checked here first! Have you had any luck yet?

All is good as you can see so far except lots of body work. The thing that is holding me back right now is the fuel delivery system. I am trying to figure out how or what I need to do to get fuel to the engine. Since I am using a stock computer I dont know if I can use after market fuel pumps and such. I have the fuel pump module that tells the fuel pump how much pressure to put on the line but I dont know if I have to use the original pump or go with an after market external pump.

SS

Shoestring 11-09-2009 05:36 PM

Have you guys and gals seen this truck being built and posted by Classic Trucks Magazine? A link to it is here. It is pretty close to what I am doing except they are using after market harness and computer with tuner. I am wondering how they did the fuel system and if there is a link to that part of the build. I have looked and have not found it. They are pretty good on other parts of the story but have left the fuel delivery part out.

SS

Red2003XLT 12-14-2009 08:45 PM

Edelbrock makes a carb conversion intake. Ford Power Parts, I think. A couple of others too.

Ignition systems; Edelbrock, MSD, and Painless - I think.

I've got a 71 F-100, I've been watching these threads getting ideas..

Rusty 63 12-15-2009 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Shoestring (Post 8125056)
Have you guys and gals seen this truck being built and posted by Classic Trucks Magazine? A link to it is here. It is pretty close to what I am doing except they are using after market harness and computer with tuner. I am wondering how they did the fuel system and if there is a link to that part of the build. I have looked and have not found it. They are pretty good on other parts of the story but have left the fuel delivery part out.

SS

Found it - June '08 issue (oddly the month you joined FTE) pg 60-69 of CT has the details - Grant used a custom tank from Rick's and an Aeromotive pump & stuff. the Title of the article is "Building an EFI Fuel System".

I actually subscribed to CT when I happened to grab a newsstand copy & saw they were going to be building a truck close enough to mine (my rusty '63) to inspire me to get back into the garage. So in a really round-about kinda way, it's their fault I'm here! Thanks!