Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Garage & Workshop (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum20/)
-   -   Home made jib crane (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/890906-home-made-jib-crane.html)

59INA40 10-07-2009 01:05 PM

Home made jib crane

I'm torn between an electric hoist or a chain hoist for my new home built jib crane. I already have the electric hoist that I use for lifting bales up and down from the hay loft and it works great for that but I like the idea of a chain hoist due to the fact that they give you an infinite amount of adjustment when it comes to getting an engine in place. The electric hoist has a tendency to bounce with a load when you start or stop. You also have to tap the controller repeatedly to get it where you want it. I know that it sounds like I've already made up my mind but wanted to run it past you guys with hoist experience. thanks, Steve

Action4478 10-07-2009 06:44 PM

I think it comes down to how much you want to work at it .(& maybe time )

I might suffer with the bouncing ...

mason55 10-07-2009 07:44 PM

Would go with chain hoist, just for the fact that you have so many adjustments as much as one "click" adjustments that just would be a PITA with an electrical switch. My vote: "chain hoist"!

tbear853 10-07-2009 08:22 PM

Chain hoist, infinate adjustment and works even when the lights won't.

Chaosracing 10-07-2009 09:45 PM

Chain hoist. Use one for pulling and installing engines. Great with the small adjustment ability. And the bouncing could get a little dangerous if someone is helping you out and happens to hit the wrong button.

59INA40 10-08-2009 03:54 PM

That's 5 out of 5 for the chain hoist. I found a 1 ton hoist at Harbor Freight for $49. for as often as I'm going to use it, that should be good. I'll pick it up tomorrow. Thanks for your input. Steve

fixnair 10-08-2009 11:19 PM

I prefer an air powered hoist. Infinite control and no electricity on the hoist frame. Kind of pricy but if you have the bucks you will never use an electric hoist again.

MBDiagMan 10-09-2009 09:37 AM

For home or occasional use a chain hoist is pretty tough to beat and they're cheap these days too.

I worked in a Fork Truck shop where we had a five ton gantry crane over about a 30' X 200' area. You punched the buttons and it went anywhere and picked up almost anything we had under it. We used it a LOT and it would be difficult to imagine our work without it.

In a home shop OTOH, a chain hoist is reliable, you have plenty of control and it can be easily thrown up over a beam or something to get it out of the way.

A chain hoist would be really tough to beat for your needs unless you're using it on a full time basis.

My $0.02,

Ford_Six 10-09-2009 01:40 PM

The shop I'm working at now has an overhead trolley crane with a chainfall. It's fairly easy to use, and while it does involve more physical effort than pushing a button, it's tough and reliable.
Skip the HF one though. Find a good used Budgit or Coffin spur gear hoist, and you'll be miles ahead.