Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   55 rear window install (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/887775-55-rear-window-install.html)

jaye 09-26-2009 10:24 AM

55 rear window install

I've had this sliding rear window for a coiple years now and think I'll finally install it today or tomorrow, does anyone know the diameter of the rope I should use to go around the rubber, also do I need window sealer MF catalog mentioned butyl I guess I'll check Advance for some. Any tips from those who have conquered this task??????

Julies Cool F1 09-26-2009 10:53 AM

I'm not quite sure "Rope" would be as good as a strong piece of heavy string. I would venture to say something no larger in diameter than a piece of parachute chord!

I used waxed string.

One suggestion is this is definately a two person job. Use dish soap around the cab surface and after the rope/string has been pulled through, go around and "pop" that seal on the inside withthe butt of your hand to help finalize it in the right place (be sure to rinse off the soap too).

Have fun!

edzakory 09-26-2009 11:04 AM

It's been about 15 years ago since I did it, but I remember it was an easy job. I don't remember the diameter of the rope but I believe it was 3/16";enough to be able to pull the rubber gasket over the inner flange of the cab window frame. I placed the new window/frame in he gasket and installed as a unit. I did not use the window sealer. :)

Here is a picture of my "old"/sold '56 in VA:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/a...arwindow-1.jpg

jaye 09-26-2009 11:16 AM

edzakory,
Do you remember of the seal fit loose or tight around the metal frame, mine is loose I have some masking tape on it so it will kinda form to the window frame later today or tomorrow I'll take a stab at it. Thanks Julies I have lots of parachute cord.

edzakory 09-26-2009 11:45 AM

If you are using a new gasket, it will be loose. If you use the old gasket, it will be a lot tighter. I recently installed a tinted Big Back window and had a difficult time using a new gasket due to its looseness; I don't remember which gasket I used on the small back window. As Julie said, use a lot of soapy water to keep the gasket supple when installing. I was able to do the small window myself; don't ask about the big back window.:-arrgh

sdetweil 09-26-2009 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by jaye (Post 7972354)
I've had this sliding rear window for a coiple years now and think I'll finally install it today or tomorrow, does anyone know the diameter of the rope I should use to go around the rubber, also do I need window sealer MF catalog mentioned butyl I guess I'll check Advance for some. Any tips from those who have conquered this task??????

1/8in rope should do it..

I didn't do any butyl outside, only inside where the glass meets the rubber.

Sam

peecubed 09-26-2009 10:58 PM

I used general purpose cord/clothesline from the hardware store. Probably 1/8" dia. It worked fine. I used the sealer between both the window and rubber and the rubber and the body flange. It took two of us to do it - one person to hold the window and push and the other to pull the cord. Its not too hard. I've since installed the windshield as well as the windshield on a mustang this way - all have gone fine. The butyl gets everywhere though and is a pain to clean off. I'd mask the glass and surrounding areas well.

sdetweil 09-27-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by peecubed (Post 7974333)
I used general purpose cord/clothesline from the hardware store. Probably 1/8" dia. It worked fine. I used the sealer between both the window and rubber and the rubber and the body flange. It took two of us to do it - one person to hold the window and push and the other to pull the cord. Its not too hard. I've since installed the windshield as well as the windshield on a mustang this way - all have gone fine. The butyl gets everywhere though and is a pain to clean off. I'd mask the glass and surrounding areas well.

I agee with the masking.. I used painters tape (blue) and saranwrap on the body to catch the uck.. and wear rubber gloves..

Sam

jaye 09-27-2009 08:55 AM

Well I almost got it on last night I used the old gasket since it was on still good I used sealant on the seal and window, let that cure then I install it in the truck all went well until I had about a foot left o the top which the cord appeared to be stuck, then I realized I didn't soap the frame (real bomber) I ripped the seal. I'm glad I didn't use the new seal so I'll get it tomorrow.

t900enforcer 09-30-2009 12:26 AM

I've used both Butyl and a silicon based sealer. The Butyl is easier to clean off than the silicon based sealer.

T900:-drink