Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   @^*#@ Headliner (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/887667-headliner.html)

52 Merc 04-04-2010 07:02 PM

So Marty, how did your new headliner turn out? I guess I would have expected better from a respected company like Lebarron Bonney, than to have such ill-fitting pieces. I would have thought they'd come pre-formed or steam bent, or something. Any other words of wisdom for folks wanting the stock look?

HD74 04-04-2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by 52 Merc (Post 8727318)
So Marty, how did your new headliner turn out? I guess I would have expected better from a respected company like Lebarron Bonney, than to have such ill-fitting pieces. I would have thought they'd come pre-formed or steam bent, or something. Any other words of wisdom for folks wanting the stock look?

Wayne, because of the weather I haven't installed it yet, just waiting for warmer day ahead.

cwpowell 04-04-2010 10:15 PM

[QUOTE=BlueOvalRage;8726903]Can you even still get ABS? It seems to me that I tQUOTE]

Rod Doors are still in business,I talked with them Friday morning concerning a question with my headliner.

epp 04-05-2010 11:34 AM

web site says they are out of business?

Old F1 04-05-2010 12:44 PM

Rod Doors are still in business,I talked with them Friday morning concerning a question with my headliner.

Originally Posted by epp (Post 8730437)
web site says they are out of business?

Big confusion here. When I asked Classic Haulers about this they wouldn’t say much other then someone had taken over part of the operation and they could still get the ABS stuff.

So cwpowell, what is the phone number that you have, and does anyone have a web site for the new guy or know more info?

I need to know as well, CH shipping to Canada is brutal, atrocious, vicious, evil, and cruel.:rolleyes:

Jag Red 54 04-05-2010 12:54 PM

Wow, they ARE out of business. I just checked their site and saw this notice:

thank you for your loyal support over the years. we just could not hold on long enough to get thru this rough stretch of road. We are out of business effective 11/04/2009. someone will purchase some of the molds and continue to produce a few of the many products that we use to make. Who that is and when they will be available is unknown even to us at this time.

:eek:

I hope somebody starts it back up when the economy gets better.
These were great guys and a great product. Jag

simonzelotes 04-05-2010 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Jag Red 54 (Post 8002221)
I've done the old 3-piece abs headliner from RodDoors. RodDoors was very serious about making sure the middle unit was absolutely in the middle before putting on the two side pieces.

For the final piece I made myself a tool to pull the middle piece as far in the opposite direction as possible. This gave me the max amount of room to get that third piece in. It was a piece of thin gauge metal bent to form over the edge of the middle piece. I attached a 12" loop of baling wire to it and a piece of round stock in the other end of the loop. I pulled it tight as the third piece was wedged into position. Once it was installed, I cut off the wire and stuffed the remainder into the seam. :9 Jag https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...oid=37917&.jpg

Jag, does your headliner tuck in under the rear window gasket?...

Jag Red 54 04-05-2010 06:06 PM

Yes, the rubber seal around the rear window should be lifted up so that the edge of the abs can be hidden underneth. Because the edge is hidden, it is important that the fabric NOT be wrapped around the back edge of the abs as this will make it too thick and rubber will pooch out. This is the way to do any of the abs panels that tuck in behind the rubber seals. :-X0A6 Jag

PS, this goes for the roof panels also if you are using the older style three piece unit.

simonzelotes 04-05-2010 07:05 PM

Thanks, Jag...The gasket on my back window must be original---it is rock hard and I don't see any way to get anything of minimal thickness behind it...I'm assuming all '54 and such trucks had headliners, so there wouldn't be a rear window gasket for a truck with and one for no headliner?...

Jag Red 54 04-06-2010 09:14 AM

You are right. There is just the one, and the rubber is thin. The good news is that the rubber is readily available and doesn't cost too much. It's even fairly easy to install. The only problem is that you'll have to decide whether to replace your rear window with a new limo-black tinted version.;) Jag

epp 04-06-2010 03:56 PM

Ordered some parts from rod doors i sent thim a email and he replied back "
I have some parts left over please call M-F 10-4 PM PST 530-828-9426
Blaine "

So he might have something you need

cwpowell 04-06-2010 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Old F1 (Post 8730714)
Big confusion here. When I asked Classic Haulers about this they wouldn’t say much other then someone had taken over part of the operation and they could still get the ABS stuff.

So cwpowell, what is the phone number that you have, and does anyone have a web site for the new guy or know more info?

I need to know as well, CH shipping to Canada is brutal, atrocious, vicious, evil, and cruel.:rolleyes:

Sorry for the delay in getting the number of Rod Doors for you, I have been out of pocket for a couple of days, someone else just posted the number and name.Blaine is the guy that I spoke with at 530-828-9426. He told me that he was still making parts for Rod Doors. His email address is bar@roddoors.com

Thanks, Charlie

HD74 04-06-2010 10:05 PM

I see Classic Haulers also sells ABS panels.

fifty-two_f1 03-16-2012 07:02 AM

Does anyone have some good pictures of the Classic Haulers abs panels??

dawolverine 03-16-2012 09:04 AM

I just made my own headliner - in 2 pieces meeting in the centre where the support bar/domelight mount is. Then I made a trim piece covering the join from front to back. I didn't spend a whole lot of time doing it but its fine, was easy to install and looks ok.