Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   @^*#@ Headliner (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/887667-headliner.html)

HD74 09-25-2009 08:36 PM

@^*#@ Headliner

Holy cow what a nightmare, put the headliner in today and I'm going to have to do it over. How in the heck did the guys do this on a moving assembly line??

Anyone one with any tips?

Stephen67 09-25-2009 09:59 PM

I hate doing head liners, espcially in the garage when its 95 in there so 120 inside the car.

I haven't done it on my truck yet, so my experience is just with my '67 Mustang. On those you usually have the glass out in the front and back and stretch it side to side. It's a PITA. The next time I do it I'm making a custom one because I learned long ago if I make it look like I intended to make it look that way when I fix something its all good, lol

ALBUQ F-1 09-25-2009 10:44 PM

HD, are you using a stock piece (or one built the same), or an ABS molded one? The stock type should be a breeze, it's got flaps that are hinged.

HD74 09-26-2009 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 7971523)
HD, are you using a stock piece (or one built the same), or an ABS molded one? The stock type should be a breeze, it's got flaps that are hinged.

I'm using the stock type from LeBarron Bonney. It's one piece with two side pieces. Made of fiber board.

WALFORD'S 56 09-26-2009 08:10 AM

THE ABS headliners are much easier to install......I like the stock look,but when it is me installing....I do the ABS....Bill

HD74 09-26-2009 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 (Post 7972050)
THE ABS headliners are much easier to install......I like the stock look,but when it is me installing....I do the ABS....Bill

Bill ya got picture you could share?

Marty

peecubed 09-26-2009 11:35 PM

I did the ABS style from Rod Doors. From the way it was talked about, I figured it would be a piece of cake. It was not. As expected, it didn't fit perfect and required triming and a few added pieces to some of the corners. Of course this required putting it in 5-6 times before I was happy with it. In the course of this, I broke 2 of the tabs off of it, but was able to repair them. When I finally went to put it in after it was uphostered, I trimmed a bunch of the tabs so it would be easier to go in, but I still broke one when I installed it. I cut my losses and just left it since the speaker grille was going to be mounted over that area anyways.

I've installed the stock style in a mustang, and though it was tedious, I did not find it particularly hard. I'm not sure what the stock style for these trucks are though.

I had initially began to make my own out of ABS, but ran out of time/energy and bought the rod doors ABS one. Looking at all the options, I think I would still get the rod doors ABS one, since it looks very nice and could easily be reupholstered if I ever wanted to, but don't think it'll be easy to install.

I'll post some pics later this week if you're interested.

cbass139 09-27-2009 08:22 AM

Would love to see the pics, myself.

retro48/52 09-27-2009 09:30 AM

Pics would be great. I am about 1 year away from doing the same thing and am very interested in what others are doing. I heard it was not easy. Did you put any sound bearier or anything in the roof before you were installing?

HD74 09-27-2009 10:47 AM

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...214392.520.390

Originally Posted by retro48/52 (Post 7974985)
Pics would be great. I am about 1 year away from doing the same thing and am very interested in what others are doing. I heard it was not easy. Did you put any sound bearier or anything in the roof before you were installing?

Yep. Check this out. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...8&goto=newpost

retro48/52 09-27-2009 11:34 AM

Excellent, nice job. Hope I can do as well.

mechmagcn 09-27-2009 09:55 PM

Interesting post, I am at this point also. Got a box full of interior parts from Rod Doors this week, enough sound deadening material to do the entire cab and the bubble insulation from HD. Looks like it's time to get to work. Hope the carpet kit from MF gets here this week.

sdetweil 09-28-2009 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by HD74 (Post 7975196)

very nice!!.. I used the dynomat clone RattleTrap.. got that blue lettering all over everything..!!

are you doing the floor under the seat? It made a big difference on mine..

Sam

HD74 09-28-2009 08:41 AM

I did the floor from the seat to the firewall and I'm finishing the area under the seat from under the cab. A little simple green and as sticky as this Dynamate is it should hold up pretty good.

sdetweil 09-28-2009 08:52 AM

I just discovered the stuff hanging loose inside the passenger door on my 55.
the Window wouldn't go up, so I pulled the door panel to find this mess!..

the door inner was cleaned & primed before deadener install..

but it might have been heat related, as it was sitting in the sun (100 degrees outside) for a few hours, then driven.

Sam