Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Turn Signal Switch Replacement 89 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/886994-turn-signal-switch-replacement-89-a.html)

gravydude 09-23-2009 08:03 AM

Turn Signal Switch Replacement 89

How hard is it to replace a turn signal switch on a 89 F-150? I have to manually hold the lever down if I want to turn on the left blinker. It's kinda a pain since I have a stick shift as well as turn the wheel while holding the signal down. This truck has tilt steering and cruise controll. On a scale of 1 to 12 beers, how bad is it?

Is it worth holding down the lever or actually attempting the project?

Thanks in advance!

nstueve 09-23-2009 10:44 AM

Well I havn't replaced it on my 88 before but did on my 92 and it was eazy like 3 beers i'd say. I am about to change the column on my 88 to a tilt column with cruise. I think I am going to replace some stuff in the column because I hear there is something in there that is common to break... I'll check on the turn signal and let you know... How many Bush Lights it takes me!

gravydude 09-23-2009 11:13 AM

haha, thanks

bren_tx 09-23-2009 09:49 PM

id give it 4 beers!
or 10 if you have to give your buddy a six pack to borrow his steering wheel puller.:-drink

half a beer to pull the wheel off, take off the connector and remove the switch. finish the beer while drawing a pic of how all the wires go on the new connector before you take it off. 2 beers to feed the wires down the steering column and connecting all of the wires together :-banghead and then you can finish the rest while putting the wheel back on.

ive done it 2 or 3 times, its really not that big of a deal. just be gentle, that switch is expensive. wish i had added some grease last time, my wheel squeals like a mouse when i turn the wheel.

gravydude 09-24-2009 09:15 AM

haha. Very nice!
Thanks. I'll have to attempt this once I buy it. They want $50 for this! Maybe a junk yard can help me out. Save money for beer. Possibly I can do this task with better beer than the cheap stuff!

bren_tx 09-24-2009 11:11 PM

$50? thats a steal, i think i paid atleast 80 from oreillys

jconner 01-08-2014 07:12 AM

hmm, $50...$60 from o'reilly, I recently saw from $10 @ o'reilly competition, to $60 on up. I know you get what you pay for....is one switch that much better quality than the other??

tjc transport 01-08-2014 07:59 AM

i cheat when putting the switch in. i cut the wires off the old switch leaving them in the column. then i remove the plug off the new switch, tape the new wire to the old wires, and pull them down the column. once down bottom, i just reconnect them to the plug.

460jared96 01-08-2014 01:51 PM

I have the exact same problem as you, except its when I turn right ahahha. I went to a junkyard and pulled it from a truck and they told me it was 20$, even though I took one little plastic piece and not the entire system. Long story short, I ended giving him $3 for it:-jammin