Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   lowest parking garage height (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/885139-lowest-parking-garage-height.html)

Move over I'm coming 02-02-2010 08:49 AM

Remember, those headache bars are for the lowest point of the parking ramp. It may be in a corner parking spot or a water pipe at the exit stand. You will never know till it is too late.

Nosedive1 02-02-2010 10:35 AM

I work buildling high rise buildings that all have parking garages. Grant it I am speaking for new installations and not ones that have been tampered with over time, but usually whenever the designers are setting the height of the height warning bar they ride the whole garage and note the lowest hanging obstruction in the main drives of the garage. Then they take 1" off of that which is the height that the bar is hung at. Then the height that is written on the bar is actually 1" lower than that (I.E. 7'-0" lowest obstruction, Bar is hung at 6'-11" and figure written on the bar is 6'-10"), but like others have said I would call the Hotel and ask them what kinds of vehicles park in their garage.

71-4R3SONS 02-02-2010 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by katiesdad7 (Post 7938797)
If worse comes to worse, put a bunch of fat people in the Ex to keep it down.

:-X24

Classic!!!

Brahms 02-03-2010 05:21 PM

My '00 Limited 4x4 PSD with Michelin LTX 265/75-16s measures a little over six feet six (to roof bow hardware) unladened, and with full tank. I recently successfully parked in the World Exchange Plaza in Ottawa. Clearance was marked as six feet six inches. Radio antenna is about two inches higher. Antenna but not bows clanked on the clearance sign. Great trepidation followed, and then I discovered that those wonderful people had set aside the main floor of the deck for FULL SIZE TRUCKS AND VANS. Littler stuff was subject to towing. No problems parking or leaving. Wide spaces, long enough for my Excursion, no fans, pumps, or other surprises mounted on the walls. Thanks, WEP!

JumpinJoe 02-03-2010 06:21 PM

Auto Car Wash hieght hijack

Sorry for the hijack, but it is very related. Especially with the salt ladden roads soiling our Ex's. I find it very hard to get a decent automatic car wash. I finally found a touchless with a 6' 8" sign and she just fits. Of course I have to fold the mirrors in. It seems like the designers (especially the newer car washes) have ignored our Kings. :confused:

whjco 02-03-2010 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by shorebird (Post 7937634)
BEWARE of the height of the ceiling where the ramp starts to rise. You may have clearance while on the flat but when the front end of the vehicle climbs the ramp the roof raises and may catch on the ceiling.

Boy, did I ever find this out the hard way. I went real slow on the first ramp and the Ex fit okay so I made it fine all the way to the 4th floor of the parking garage where I finally found a parking place.

However, coming down was a different story. Thankfully, I got out and checked at the first ramp and found that there was no way the Ex would clear at that angle. I ended up having to back all the way out of the parking garage. I won't make that mistake again!

zaphon 08-04-2017 06:20 PM

I have a 17' F250 with 6" lift + 37's and park on the fifth floor of a garage with 8 foot clearance. If my math is right my truck stands at 7'6" give or take an inch.

StreamOn 08-04-2017 08:40 PM

i lost a roof rack and damaged the rails in a garage that claimed to be 7'11''. The beam I lost my rack on was 7'3'' (my Ex has 4 inch lift). The garage was new so you would think they measured every beam correctly. I fought the property owner and they ended up paying for the damages. Now the entrance to the garage says 7' even. I don't trust the claimed height now if it's close, and especially wouldn't trust it in an old garage that has a lot going on with pipes, etc. on the ceiling (I'm thinking of D.C. and Baltimore garages).

zaphon 08-04-2017 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by StreamOn (Post 17375675)
i lost a roof rack and damaged the rails in a garage that claimed to be 7'11''. The beam I lost my rack on was 7'3'' (my Ex has 4 inch lift). The garage was new so you would think they measured every beam correctly. I fought the property owner and they ended up paying for the damages. I don't trust the claimed height now if it's close, and especially wouldn't trust it in an old garage that has a lot going on with pipes, etc. on the ceiling (I'm thinking of D.C. and Baltimore garages).

Agreed, my antenna is about 6" above my truck, so if it hits, I slow down to a crawl and pay attention. There is 1 spot at the very top where the garage is clearly not 8' (more like 7'9" on one side, and lower on the other), where I stay to one side to avoid scraping (it's at the top before it opens up). And it's very clearly labeled 8' all the way up.

Country_Mouse 08-04-2017 10:59 PM

I almost had a panic attack in a parking garage recently. Antenna was bumping beams and it was crowded, people lined up behind me, yikes! This was in L.A. and my Ex is stock height! First level height going in advertised as 8'2. No prob but then going to level 2 it apparently drops to 7'! Yeah, that was scary. You know how you duck when driving even when you're inside vehicle? :-missingt