Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   4.9L oil pan gasket replacement help... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/883984-4-9l-oil-pan-gasket-replacement-help.html)

jesterdog 09-11-2009 12:20 PM

4.9L oil pan gasket replacement help...

I have a 1994 F-150 4.9L and I need to replace the oil pan gasket.

Has anyone done it?

What is involved? How hard is the job?

Got any pics?

Thanks!!!

andym 09-11-2009 12:35 PM

No pics, but it's pretty easy. Unbolt the pan, remove the old gasket, buy a felpro one-piece gasket (not the four-piece cork/rubber one) and put it in.

You don't have to raise the engine as some will claim.

cabloom300 09-11-2009 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by andym (Post 7923492)
No pics, but it's pretty easy. Unbolt the pan, remove the old gasket, buy a felpro one-piece gasket (not the four-piece cork/rubber one) and put it in.

Heck i might put mine in the, i bought a gasket and found out how much work it would be and people i talked to said it wouldnt be worth it cause the pan hits the cross member so u have to pick the motor up a bit. this isnt the case?

nstueve 09-11-2009 01:22 PM

I will say that I have done it both ways... On my F-150 it was way easier to lift the engine... I was also removing the pan to replace the oil pump and screen. It is a tight fit to not lift the engine but you can do it. I agree with andym get the one piece felpro it will contain 4 small pins in the case.

If you want to pull the engine up...
1.) Take the 2 motor mount bolts out. one on either side at the bottom of the engine compartment.
2.) hook engine hoist to front engine hook and pull the entire engine and drive train up. I am sure you can detach more but this will get you a couple extra inches.
3.) drain the oil
4.) remove all the oil pan bolts and metal bars underneath them.
5.) drop pan and remove old seal.
6.) put new seal into place (remember you have to wrap this under your oil screen and pump inside the pan to get it all the way around and into place)
7.) use the screw in pins to hold the gasket and pan into place
8.) start your bolts back in all the holes but the 4 that have the pins in them.
9.) remove the pins, put last 4 bolts in and tighten evenly all the way around.
10.) bolt the engine back down and fill with oil... you're done!

The first time I did mine was on a 2wd 1992 and it was a pain in the ass to not lift the engine! You can get by without doing it but I believe it is way easier to lift the motor on a F-150 2wd. I could do it on my F-250 4x4 without doing the engine hoist. You can get it done without lifting on either its just kinda a pain because it's a tight space to work in. lifting the engine just makes it easier. Also you might want to consider replacing your pump/screen if you are going to go to all the trouble of changing out the gasket. It's not that hard to do yourself it is just time consuming working around the cross members under the truck. If you are mechanically inclined I can't imagine that it would take much more than 2hrs... Kinda depends on how much you want to do... If you change the pump and screen, if you lift the engine, if you take the pan out to clean it... After doing 7 of them (4 on the 300 I6's)... I could probably get it all done in 1.5-2 hrs...

jesterdog 09-11-2009 03:29 PM

Thanks, guys. You've been very helpful as usual!!!

andym 09-11-2009 03:31 PM

If you are just replacing the gasket you do not need to lift the engine. I have done it on both 2wd and 4wd trucks and it's not that hard. Last time I did it, I think it took an hour and a half.

If you need to replace the pump and pickup screen, then you will have to lift the motor. But since there is so much more work involved it's silly to replace those parts if they are working fine.

quicklook2 09-11-2009 03:33 PM

if taking out the pan he left out:

drive truck up on ramps

remove negative cable

remove shroud bolts and set it on fan

the trans mount needs to be unbolted and tran.s jacked up

drop screen and pump in pan

Whoudini74 09-12-2009 05:38 AM

Great info guys, I just found out that my oil pan gasket has a crack in it, not dropping too much oil, maybe a drop or two after I've shut the truck down, but this saves me from asking the same question about replacing the gasket.

Volvo92906 09-12-2009 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by andym (Post 7923492)

Andym, so if you do not remove the pan does that mean you need to unbolt it and "drop" it and run the gasket through and under/around the pickup tube to get it on all four sides of the pan and then raise it back up?

Mine doesnt need replacing now but its not looking too good and I didnt want to have to mess with what Haynes says....

quicklook2 09-12-2009 10:54 AM

to do only the gasket, that is correct.

plus cleaning off the old gasket without getting crap in the pan.

mrblonde108 10-01-2009 05:48 PM

i don't know

I have a 93 with 4x4 300ci and speed manual i tried to get the pan out without jacking engine up and i couldn't.

mrblonde108 10-01-2009 05:56 PM

one more thing

i didn't get pan out yet i need to pick up my jacks but is it ok to lift engine up by jacking on crankshaft pully??

Volvo92906 10-01-2009 06:22 PM

NO!!!! I believe you get a piece of wood and put it under the engine, jack it up, then stick some wood blocks between the engine mounts and the frame to keep the engine supported on.

mrblonde108 10-01-2009 06:33 PM

i was going to use a piece of wood under the crankshaft but yeah good idea i'll jack it up under the oil pan and then use wood like u said. damn oil pan rusted out.

mrblonde108 10-10-2009 04:16 PM

Hey just an undate. finally got the pan down pain inn the ass.Transmission bolt havd to be removed and tranny jacked up but hope i didn't break anything. Slave cylinder is up against body. Engine has to be jacked up. But the biggest pain in the ass is the damn windshield wiper motor the whole cowl has to come off to get that out. Motor has to be removed to get engine high enough or egr valve hits it. I bent the thing a little to get at the bolts. Still a pain. Now i have to get the gasket a put it back in. This is a 93 with a 300 six and 5 speed manual.

Thanks Everyone
Peace