Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   1962 ford f100 fuel gauge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/882003-1962-ford-f100-fuel-gauge.html)

daddy hadday 09-04-2009 07:53 AM

1962 ford f100 fuel gauge

HELP HELP,
My father in law just purchased a 62 f100 and the gas gauge doesn't work. We've tested it by grounding out the unit to see if the guage goes to full in which it does. My father in law replace the float as well with a new one and it still isn't working. When he puts the unit back into the tank the float will not float and it stays towards the bottom thus giving us a false reading. Any more suggestions on how to remedy this fix would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

murrmeister 09-04-2009 11:34 AM

I wish i had a solution for you, but i have a similar problem/request for help. I have a 65f100 with a fuel gauge that always reads about 1/4 tank low. it works reliably, but when 100% filled-up still reads 3/4 tank. can i just bend the float down a little to compensate for this? any ideas? thanks. murr

NumberDummy 09-05-2009 07:52 AM

What float did you use?

The original is made from two pieces of copper soldered together. Solder breaks down. gas seeps in...float slowly settles to the bottom of the tank.

If the float...won't float and it's the correct FoMoCo type for the sending unit, this is the reason...it's full of gas.

The same float fits ALL the 1957/79 cars and trucks sending units and is still available from Ford.

COAZ9202B .. Fuel Sending Unit Float

MSRP: $7.41 / FTE sponsor: Y2KFORD PARTS.COM price: $5.34.
--------------------------------------------------------------
D7TZ9275G .. In-Cab Fuel Tank Sending Unit / Includes float and gasket / Obsolete

Fits all 1961/77 F Series Trucks w/in-cab fuel tanks. D7TZ-9275-G replaced C1TZ-9275-K.

COTTAM WALKER FORD in Taos NM has ONE.

NELSON FORD in Martinsville VA has ONE.

MILLER OBSOLETE PARTS in Binghamton NY has ONE: 800-546-7278.

GREEN SALES CO. in Cincinnati OH has FOUR: 800-543-4959

thabble 09-14-2009 01:02 AM

i have a 4 foot pool que behind my seat and just check it before i leave!

miky g 03-03-2011 02:13 PM

66 f100 fuel tank

hi im new to the boards and i got a 66 ford f100 8ft box custom cab edition with the same floater problem. Now my father resently just ran the truck dry and some junk at the bottom of the tank got in the carberator :'(, so my question is should i just drop the tank and replace the whole system or clean it and try to fix it?

airharley 03-03-2011 02:56 PM

You're referring to the tank in the cab or do you have an aux tank under the bed as well? I pulled my tank out of the cab and coated it with a gas tank sealer. Of course I followed the directions with the kit. As long as your tank doesn't have a split weld you should be able to fixt it with no issues. Even pin holes can be sealed.

All the varnish and rust flakes will come out during the cleaning process. I added a different pickup tube so I was able to install a filter on the end to reduce pulling junk out of the tank if I should find myself at a crap gas filling station.

The float arm can be adjusted to read correctly. I also found that farnish had collected on the rheostat windings inside the sending unit. I was able to clean mine with 15 psi of compressed air and glass media.

Customcab 03-03-2011 07:36 PM

Daddy Hadday;
Have you check the gauge on the speedo bezel to see if power is there as well? Recently help a friend with same type problem; we ended up taking a bezel fuel gauge from a spare bezel and replace his! He had new tank , sending unit and excellent ground, and wire from unit to bezel had excellent power.
Last option was the bezel gauge.
Just some though to help ya trouble shoot your problem!

BeerKnurd 08-12-2011 12:32 PM

Great info everyone. I'm having the same issue, will check the power. When you say ground the sending unit, how does one do that?

Thx