Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/880785-first-look-fords-all-new-6-7-liter-v-8-power-stroke-diesel-engine.html)

Power Kid 08-30-2009 11:43 PM

First Look: Ford's All-New 6.7-Liter V-8 Power Stroke Diesel Engine

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08/first-look-fords-new-6-7-liter-v-8-scorpion-power-stroke-diesel-engine.html

Monsta 08-31-2009 12:02 AM

Made in Mexico????

KelVarnson 08-31-2009 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Monsta (Post 7885293)
Made in Mexico????

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Also, I was wondering about the exhaust coming out of the top of the engine. Seems like it's going to get pretty hot up there. I would think that in a conventional V8, air circulating up from below would keep things from getting too hot. But with all of the exhaust and the turbo on the top, covered by the hood above, and blocked by the cylinder banks on the sides, I wonder how they will keep the underhood temperatures reasonable.

I am not an automotive engineer or anything, this is just a gut reaction.

Monsta 08-31-2009 02:58 AM

I'm sure the two cooling systems come into play with that. :) The hood looks to be taller as well. I'm sure to help dissipate heat.

03 SVT VERT 08-31-2009 04:02 AM

No more manual transmission, no sale.

Looks like I'll be buying Dodges from now on.:(

MikeMcCasland 08-31-2009 04:14 AM

From this article it seems as thought they are doing everything they can to make this as reliable as possible to avoid all the headaches of the later generation International diesel engines. I suspect though, that it will come at a high cost.

senix 08-31-2009 05:07 AM

This is the same design as the dirtymax. I think it will be more efficent use of the exhaust but I too have reservations about the heat.

browntown3 08-31-2009 06:15 AM

geez, can you imagine having to work on that thing ?

ruschejj 08-31-2009 06:49 AM

Peak HP at 2600RPM? Torque at 1600 is good though. If it's gonna be a high RPM motor it may be tough to sell. A big reason to have a diesel powertrain is not having to make the transmission shift for every little hill or change in speed.

My 6.4 revs high enough for me. Listening to a diesel motor at 3000RPM's is not a comfortable feeling. I'll probably buy into it one day, I like my 6.4 so I guess my mind is open enough for what the future holds.

dkf 08-31-2009 08:31 AM

I see they are using CPG blocks, should save a bit of weight up front.

Dealers get ready for the warrenty work.:-innocent

senix 08-31-2009 09:00 AM

some pretty good info this morning on pickuptrucks.com about the motor. It actually looks pretty good.

Deluxe05 08-31-2009 09:58 AM

Well, that all looks fine & dandy, and I have a fair bit of confidence that Ford is doing everything that they can think of to put the motor through its paces. But, the real test is going to be once that motor hits the streets in its production form. I will not say that it will make or break Ford, but it could be pretty damaging if its debut is marred.

Pinky Demon 08-31-2009 10:10 AM

I'm scared.

T8R 08-31-2009 10:17 AM

It sounds like they've done enough testing to know they've got a good engine. I'm excited to see how it works out, and more than a little intrigued. Can't wait to see how the new turbo performs. (Although, part of me is secretly wondering how much room they'll have left for tuners to squeeze more power out of it without breaking parts. I'd be sad to not have the engine to play with - but I suppose there could be something to be said for not needing to mess with it....)

03 SVT VERT 08-31-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by browntown3 (Post 7885555)
geez, can you imagine having to work on that thing ?

Apparently, it's supposed to be pretty easy to work on for a modern diesel. Unlike the 6.4L you won't have to lift the cab to work on the engines top end.

Originally Posted by T8R (Post 7886079)
Although, part of me is secretly wondering how much room they'll have left for tuners to squeeze more power out of it without breaking parts.

If I had to guess, I would say this engine will definitely have more left in it than it's initial numbers will show. Two things give me this impression.

First, the emissions equipment on these new engines is numerous and very choking in nature. Once the after-market finds a way to get rid of some of it, we'll really get to see this engine open up to its full potential.

Secondly, the previous 6.4L was made to run on 40psi from the factory. This engine is supposed to be just as strong or stronger, and it's only running on 30psi from the factory. Me thinks Ford left themselves a little bit of breathing room, just in case the future Duramax and Cummins engines decide to step up their game.