Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   Drag link tube / spring install ? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/880378-drag-link-tube-spring-install.html)

19fifty4 08-29-2009 04:05 PM

Drag link tube / spring install ?

What's the secret to compressing the spring in the drag link tube? I've tried numerous things but none have worked. I got the drag link end kit and am working on the end that you insert the pittman arm. Can't get the spring compressed enough to start the end screw. Any suggestions?

Old F1 08-29-2009 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing in there that should not be, huh? Is this what you have? If so, and it has been awhile, I think the two cups go around the ball on the pitman arm then the spring on outside and then the button head against the nut with the small part inside the spring.

drag kink kit.jpg

ALBUQ F-1 08-29-2009 08:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Like this....

19fifty4 08-29-2009 08:42 PM

Thanks for getting back to me. I've spent a couple more hours with it trying different methods, some quite creative to compress the spring far enough to get the nut started and all with no success. Upon reviewing the pics of what it looked like before I took it apart, I can't see any way that the spring in the kit is going to fit in the pittman arm end. You have to buy 2 kits to do both ends of the drag link and both kits are identical, same hardware in each. The drag link end that receives the spindle arm has a longer space between the hole that receives the spindle arm and the end of the link. Much more so than the pittman arm end but the springs are identical. That doesn't seem right. A good fit on the spindle arm end but no luck on the pittman arm end. Actually from my old pic it does not look like there is a spring even in the pittman arm end. Just the cup, nut and then the cotter pin. Can this be?

ALBUQ F-1 08-29-2009 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 19fifty4 (Post 7881896)
...Actually from my old pic it does not look like there is a spring even in the pittman arm end. Just the cup, nut and then the cotter pin.

Can this be?

Nope... Are you sure there's nothing left inside the tube?

mclaughlinrp 08-29-2009 08:54 PM

Ensure it looks like the picture(s) above. With the wheels on the ground, turn the steering wheel a little to compress the spring and start the screw. Raise the wheels back up to draw both sides in to correct depth.

Are the threads ok? If so, and it's still not going something is obstructing the "innards".

Ryan

19fifty4 08-29-2009 09:06 PM

Looks like the pittman ball is seated as far down as the slot will allow. Nothing extra between the ball and the nut. Unlike the diagram my kit only came with one button head but I think they must make them a tad longer these days so they can only get by with one. Just to clarify the drag link is on the workbench. I plan to insert the pittman arm, then attach drag link to the spindle arm, then attach the axle assembly to the leaf springs. Nothing but the frame and axle assembly laying in the floor.

ALBUQ F-1 08-29-2009 09:22 PM

There needs to be two female spherical pieces, one on each side of the ball. Think of it as a ball joint split down the middle.

It's been a long time since I did mine, but it could work without the button head between the spring and the plug on the end.

19fifty4 08-29-2009 09:29 PM

Yes, it has those 2 pieces. What fits and in this order: cup, ball, cup, nut, cotter pin. The spring and corresponding button head are omitted.

I'll see if I can post a pic.

19fifty4 08-29-2009 09:40 PM

This is what the old one looked like. Doesn't appear to have room enough for the current spring, - a smaller one - maybe. If I screw the nut down far enough to get the cotter pin in the hole there is not enough space remaining for the spring. I realize the spring goes in first but you couldn't crank the nut down tight enough to compress the spring and still get the cotter pin in the hole. This is what makes me think that the spring is not right. Thanks for your patience / I really appreciate the help.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=220502&.jpg

19fifty4 08-30-2009 06:17 PM

I was able to go back and find the original spring that came out when i tore the drag link down. As you can see it is definitely smaller. The cups are slightly thinner as well. Guess that's why I was having such trouble.

Used the older spring on the pittman arm end and the kit from DC on the spindle arm end. Everything is back together.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...id=220556&.jpg

ALBUQ F-1 08-30-2009 06:48 PM

That new spring is a monster!

5pointohh 12-11-2015 06:33 PM

I'm having the same issue with my drag link. I can't get the nut fully seated to put a cotter pin in. The drag link and hardware I'm using is from mid fiftys. The drag link is for a drop axle. I don't have my original spring. I wonder if I could just cut down the spring?

ALBUQ F-1 12-11-2015 07:06 PM

I'd get the right spring. The whole point of it is to have some "give" on sharp hits, to protect the steering gears.

5pointohh 12-13-2015 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 (Post 15858402)
I'd get the right spring. The whole point of it is to have some "give" on sharp hits, to protect the steering gears.

I don't have the original spring. Where could I find one?