Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Brake pad/Rotor Recommendations? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/880190-brake-pad-rotor-recommendations.html)

AIbandit 08-28-2009 07:09 PM

Brake pad/Rotor Recommendations?

I'm hauling a jeep from WA to Utah and wanted to redo my brakes. What pads do you guys recommend? Hawk? EBC? I'm also thinking about getting some slotted rotors.

Are E99 brake pads the same as the 99+ or do I have to worry about that too?
I can't use the later model rotors?

:-bigparty
(My woman insisted I put that on)

Izzy351 08-28-2009 07:27 PM

If you have an E99, you'll have issues finding what you need. I put Hawk LTS & Cryo'ed Power Slot rotors on mine up front. Nice upgrade...

AIbandit 08-28-2009 08:09 PM

What does a 99+ conversion entail?

Izzy351 08-28-2009 08:23 PM

No idea -- there was a thread about this very thing a while back. Maybe someone will chime in that can point you to it. I don't remember enough to search for it myself.

AIbandit 08-29-2009 01:01 PM

Ive been digging around and found several threads talking about this. From what I read all you need is the late model hubs and rotors. Has anyone done this themselves?

Izzy351 08-29-2009 02:08 PM

I was thinking there was a little more required, including calipers.

I don't have your answer, but here's another bump for ya'...

AIbandit 08-29-2009 02:33 PM

Are the pads universal? If I can just get new pads for now I'll worry about converting later.

shark1979 08-29-2009 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Izzy351 (Post 7878755)
If you have an E99, you'll have issues finding what you need. I put Hawk LTS & Cryo'ed Power Slot rotors on mine up front. Nice upgrade...

how do you like brakes you put on Joe. do you get much dust with them? i am tired of getting dust all over my wheels,plus you can see where there brake dust is stuck to my paint on the tailgate. i clean my truck once a week most of the time. Dont know how to stop it.

Izzy351 08-29-2009 04:40 PM

The Hawk LTS pads seem to be low dust. No issues so far -- I used get a pretty thick coat of that junk on my wheels too, but I haven't had them on long enough yet for a good feel.

snakyjake 08-31-2009 01:12 PM

I read from another posting of somehow who has experience from both that EDC is a better setup than Hawk. Don't know why though. Could be personal experience, or could be marketing.

Izzy351 08-31-2009 01:20 PM

Yep -- I remember that thread. But here's the thing. EDCs are more expensive than the Hawks, and I'm sure they're very good. BUT... The Hawks with Cryo'ed Power Slot rotors a such a big improvement over stock that I'm not sure the extra $$$ is money well spent. Diminishing returns and all. It might very well be, but so far, I'm very happy with my set up. I still have stock pads on the rears -- I checked 'em when I rotated the tires after doing the fronts, and they're still a lot of pad left all around. When they need replaced, I'll put Hawks back there too.

NCSUME 09-18-2009 12:48 PM

Has anyone used Power Stop slotted rotors instead of Power Slot Cyros? They are a lot cheaper and wonder if anyone has any opinion/experience with them on a F-250 SD with 7.3 PSD??

clintbonnie 09-18-2009 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by NCSUME (Post 7947061)
Has anyone used Power Stop slotted rotors instead of Power Slot Cyros? They are a lot cheaper and wonder if anyone has any opinion/experience with them on a F-250 SD with 7.3 PSD??

I have their slotted rotors and ceramic pads for about 1 and half now.. Have had no problems with them.. No dust.. and they stop alot better than stock.. see: www.powerstop.com for more info.. (free shipping when I bought them)

Mike Allen 09-18-2009 09:24 PM

AI,

I have been running a front set of ART (FTE Sponsor) rotors and Performance friction pads with a lot of success. I tow a 30' travel trailer and my car hauler with a 3000 lb racecar on a regular basis.

I also do alot of stop and go daily driving here in DC. I managed to get over 90K miles out of the rotors before a noticed a slight shimmy and have decided to replace both the front and rear with ART sets.

Pad knows his stuff and I am sure he can get you pointed in the right direction. Give him a call; he's good people.