Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   Cornfused and beffuddled (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/880097-cornfused-and-beffuddled.html)

SammichTheStout 08-28-2009 01:16 PM

Cornfused and beffuddled

:confused: I recently did a drum, shoe and spring replacement on my 95 f150 300L6 4WD 5spd to try and correct the following problem:

When I turn right, I hear a screetch-screetch-screetch-screetch that varies in frequency with wheel speed. When I straighten the wheel up, sometimes it goes away, sometimes not. When I turn left or step on the brake, it goes away. When I am on the brake, the pedal pulses in time with the wheel speed. This is what led me to believe that it was drums, if it were disks, then I would feel it in the wheel and I don't. The pedal seems softer than it did and it travels most of the way to the floor to get the truck to stop fast, that was the case even before I did the brake job.

I recently did a bearing job with new bearings up front and that didn't help either. when I had the front end in the air, I noted that the rubber shims in the calipers were present and there wasn't anything that jumped out at me as wrong or suspect. The truck steers fine and besides needing a rear main seal, an ignition system, an exhaust system and rear springs/shackles, it runs great. The screetching is there and driving me nuts. I'm stumped.:confused:

dustybumpers 08-28-2009 01:26 PM

you need to adjust the shoes. raisu the rear up, and put it on jack stands. pull the little rubber plug off the bottom of the backing plate. take a brake spoon [looks like a bent screw driver], and adjust the star wheel until you hear the shoes contact the drums, and put a slight drag on, while you turn the tire. do other side same way. put the plugs back in, should now have more pedal, and the schree, schree, schree will go away.

SammichTheStout 08-28-2009 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by dustybumpers (Post 7877613)
you need to adjust the shoes. raisu the rear up, and put it on jack stands. pull the little rubber plug off the bottom of the backing plate. take a brake spoon [looks like a bent screw driver], and adjust the star wheel until you hear the shoes contact the drums, and put a slight drag on, while you turn the tire. do other side same way. put the plugs back in, should now have more pedal, and the schree, schree, schree will go away.

Tried that once... But I'll try it again just to be sure.

I'd like to also mention that while I'm really good with engines from my experience building aircraft powerplants, this is my first American Vehicle and my first truck. I'm realizing how little I know about these trucks as I go along. I'm used to fixing my (and my father's) VWs, older Audis, Hondas, and BMWs. None of them were ever built like this truck... not even close.

dustybumpers 08-28-2009 01:55 PM

if you can do drum brakes on a front wheel drive vw, ford trucks are a piece of cake

SammichTheStout 08-28-2009 01:58 PM

They were all full floating disks, even the old Audi 5000s that my dad had were all disks. Believe me its a foriegn world to me under that truck.

SammichTheStout 08-28-2009 06:52 PM

Isolated the screetching to the front hubs. When I turn the wheel and get out of the truck to look at the wheels, the piece of the hub which is the tube that extends out from the centercover is contacting the screw-on center cover piece that the tube extends from. Thats the only thing I can see thats wrong with it.

dustybumpers 08-28-2009 07:02 PM

not catching what you are saying, howa bout shooting a picture, and posting it. should be no movement between the hub, and hub cap.

SammichTheStout 08-29-2009 08:41 AM

Thats probably it then.