Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum287/)
-   -   hitches (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/879988-hitches.html)

hanklin 08-27-2009 10:25 PM

hitches

Trying to find website that has universal hitch that attachs to back of rv/5th to double tow
I forgot :-banghead

hanklin 08-27-2009 10:36 PM

here it is www.ontheball.com/motorhome_hitch.htm

I typed in too many words,happens,sorry

BPofMD 08-28-2009 10:05 AM

I'd call them if I were you..... those are for full size "MOTOR HOMES", not 5th wheels. I would start by calling/contacting your RV manufacturer and check to make sure yours is built to tow anything!

bens99f350 08-28-2009 05:59 PM

Can you double tow in CA?

jake00 08-28-2009 11:22 PM

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/02...ouble-tow.html

wb6anp 08-28-2009 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by bens99f350 (Post 7878423)
Can you double tow in CA?

Yes with a non comercial class A with doubles edorsement, and the last trailer must be a boat.

bens99f350 08-29-2009 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by jake00 (Post 7879500)

good info, thanks!

hanklin 08-29-2009 06:28 PM

wb6anp....Why does last trailer have to be a boat? My pal tows jet-skiis behind his,watercraft yes but not a boat. I couldn`t find anything stating that. Heck I can`t read half the mumbo jumbo dmv puts out. I also heard that its ok to tow recreational trailers like this, no special lic.
I have a flatbed trailer and an enclosed one of which I would tow one behind 5er

Bud
I`ll double check but it appears fine, thanks for heads up

wb6anp 08-29-2009 11:21 PM

Ok I rechecked the dmv site it is ok to tow anything doubles but under 75 ft, also you must have a Commercial class "A" With doubles endorsement. Not a Non Commercial class A. But I'd ask the CHP to make sure.

hanklin 08-30-2009 08:27 AM

Funny thing is ,I did ask a cop and he didn`t know,co.sheriff..I think I`ll swing by the weigh station and ask there. But now if I`m not towing commercial then why a commercial lic? I was reading here that you can drive a semi-truck w/no spec lic if not comm,maybe ag? Ill see if I can find

hanklin 08-30-2009 09:56 AM

Ok heres the deal
Went out to get donuts for kids and ran into a cop friend ( he`s going dirt biking so end the jokes) and he just went to Sacramento on Friday for advanced training and this very question was raised. Apparently the chp differs from county to county in this area,even though vehicle code is statewide. Didn`t make any sense to the room full of officers either. Because I`m pulling recreational then I should be fine, although ideally I should have commercial A w/pulling doubles,however that is not necessary. They also don`t pull over peeps to check license anyway.

wb6anp 08-31-2009 03:47 PM

I just checked with the CHP according to them you need a commercial class A with doubles endoresment to tow doubles whether or not it is for recreation.

hanklin 08-31-2009 06:12 PM

I was told something entirely different by sacramento chp. I need a doubles endorsement but NOT a commercial class A. He wasn`t even sure if I needed a non-commercial A.He then directed me to dmv website of which I told him was pretty vague.So evidently all the different police agency`s vary from co. to co. and no one has a fukin clue,isn`t that great

Old Rusty Wrench 09-01-2009 10:07 AM

A few years back Costco sold a hitch that would expaned in and out to fit different frames. It was not a heavy duty by any means. The rear frame members of most 5ers are not made real strong unlike a truck. I have a hitch on my 5er that carries a bike rack or 2x5 ft carrier. I would never try to pull any type of trailer because of the 5er frame design, it does not have the strength to hold much of a load.

hanklin 09-12-2009 06:34 AM

I stopped by chp office in Hayward and was told I can double with a class c. I then proceeded to call weigh station and was told the very same thing, although I have to be under 26k . Here`s a link www.OnTheBall.com
This is what I`m lookin at
Motor Home Hitch Kit for frames up to 71" Overall Width

Universal Design built to adjust to various widths, from 46" to 71" wide...

Rated to tow up to ,3,500 lbs. Weight Carrying (W.C.) and up to 300 lbs. Tongue Weight (T.W.)
next I am calling 5er manufacturer (fleetwood) and check if frame can support trailer. I can`t see it being too heavy as it`s an aluminum 12` with two quads