Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Excursion - King of SUVs (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum29/)
-   -   Rear clunking sound (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/879017-rear-clunking-sound.html)

mrad 08-24-2009 12:44 PM

Rear clunking sound

I have a clunking sound coming from the rear of my X when I stop and take off. The sound does not happen until the vehicle has been driven for a few miles. After it has been driven, I will get one clunk when I stop. When I take off I will get one clunk as the vehicle starts to accelerate, and another clunk as I give it a little more gas. Any Ideas on what could be the cause of this?
I do not get the sound when I shift from park to drive, or drive to reverse.

UrbanXX 08-24-2009 12:59 PM

The problem is:
The Slip-Yoke the rear drive shaft bolts to on the rear-end needs greased..........

The fix:
Take rear drive shaft loose from rear-end, remove slip-yoke, grease spline with a good high-temp. grease.
Reinstall Slip-Yoke and drive shaft, your good to go for another 50,000 miles or so.

EXv10 08-24-2009 01:11 PM

Plus one on that.

mrad 08-24-2009 02:05 PM

Thanks guys. Is this something that should be fixed immediately to prevent damage?
Is it it possible to tap and add a grease zirt?

Monsta 08-24-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrad (Post 7862720)
Thanks guys. Is this something that should be fixed immediately to prevent damage?

No. It's really just an annoyance. Too little grease from the factory or inferior grease. Once you do it you shouldn't have to do it again.

Is it it possible to tap and add a grease zirt?
You can but it's not really with the effort and you could possibly run into balance problems...although I doubt it.

UrbanXX 08-24-2009 02:54 PM

The sooner you get it repaired the better, it won't get any better only worse. Every time it clunks it puts stress on the U-Joint and the splines of the Slip-Yoke.
It dosen't have to be fixed tomorrow, but as soon as soon as possiable. About 75.00 from a good shop is what I would guess.

EXv10 08-24-2009 03:51 PM

You could easily do it yourself in 20 minutes. I wouldn't bother with a zerk installation. You might never have the problem again as long as you have the truck. Mine had the problem when I bought mine (got me a better deal) but went away before I had a chance to fix it and that was 2 years ago. I would say it is a 1 time problem if that.

mrad 08-24-2009 05:50 PM

Just to make sure this is the slip yoke problem. Mine Does not clunk when I put it in gear. Only when I come to a stop (or near stop) and again when I take off. I hope it is the slip yoke since the fix appars to be quite easy. Thanks again for all the info.

EXv10 08-24-2009 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by mrad (Post 7863453)
Just to make sure this is the slip yoke problem. Mine Does not clunk when I put it in gear. Only when I come to a stop (or near stop) and again when I take off. I hope it is the slip yoke since the fix appars to be quite easy. Thanks again for all the info.

Probably got lucky this time.

EX40 11-26-2009 01:21 AM

Revisiting an old thread.

I plan on greasing the slip yoke on rear to get rid of that dreaded clunk on shifting into gear or taking off.

My question is this: Has anyone or is it typical to do the front as well? Reason I ask is I noticed the front u-joints when replacing my sway bar bushings. Seems like an easy task. I've read the article on doing the rear. Is the front the same?

stanfriedman 04-22-2012 07:44 PM

I have a 2002 F-250 extended cab with the exact same symptom. I've greased the splines twice and no permanent solution to the clunk (or two) on takeoff (or complete stop). Did greasing solve your problem?

timf150 04-22-2012 10:27 PM

Here is a forum that talks about greasing the yoke.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...my-2000-a.html

Tim M

The_Punisher 04-24-2012 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanXX (Post 7862553)
The problem is:
The Slip-Yoke the rear drive shaft bolts to on the rear-end needs greased..........

The fix:
Take rear drive shaft loose from rear-end, remove slip-yoke, grease spline with a good high-temp. grease.
Reinstall Slip-Yoke and drive shaft, your good to go for another 50,000 miles or so.

That fixed half my noise, the other noise was due to the bumpers on the slapper bars on rear springs were gone.
Not buying it new I did not know they had been there at one time

stanfriedman 04-24-2012 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by stanfriedman (Post 11744237)
I have a 2002 F-250 extended cab with the exact same symptom. I've greased the splines twice and no permanent solution to the clunk (or two) on takeoff (or complete stop). Did greasing solve your problem?

PS: Re-lubed slip yoke splines today and the clunking is gone! I know now for sure that a double clunk on takeoff and with gentle braking to a stop is due to drying out of Teflon lubricant. This time, however, I've noted the date so that I will be able to see how long this fix will last.
PPS: The splined end of the rear drive shaft in my f-250 is already factory-coated with blue Teflon, indicating that Ford has already tried to solve this recurrent problem.

wpnaes 04-24-2012 11:27 PM

A few more pic's if needed and a side job or two while in the neighborhood...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...nion-seal.html