Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   No more oiling problem with ole 272.... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/878865-no-more-oiling-problem-with-ole-272-a.html)

WALFORD'S 56 08-23-2009 07:27 PM

No more oiling problem with ole 272....

Well,all is well in WALFORD'S ford truck corral once again....LOL

I was told that my yblock in my 272 was going to be junk,by some guy ...and I am here to say.....WOW......it is just fine!!!!

My buddy and his 800 horsepower cobra was here for the weekend and he adjusted my valves and looked and tuned my yblock and it is running just great,now with this done I am going to install a alternator and an electronic distributor so it runs with no more discharge and points.

I was told that this engine was shot and I was going to be calling AAA:-X09 but they were wrong....and thank God!!

I am refinishing my 53 and just finished my 71....and refinished this 56F600:D,so I am so happy no engine problem.....Just hope that bad advice is not spread around :-liessignand have to always look and think before you listen to others that no it all......LOL
Thanks ........................Bill:-X06

Julies Cool F1 08-23-2009 07:58 PM

Hey that's super! I'll have a cold frosty adult beverage to celebrate your success!

PS. Your gonna love the Alternator and Dist!

WALFORD'S 56 08-23-2009 08:30 PM

Thanks Julie......and which dist,would you reccomend?
I am so glad the ticking went away,and have 65 psi oil pressure in this beast.
Now for some modern technology.....hope this stock56 can handle it....LOL

Thanks

gdgerland 08-23-2009 10:36 PM

Did I miss it or did you forget to say how you fixed your oiling problem? I was very interested as I have a '56 Fairlane Town Sedan with a Y-block and it has the external oilers on it. I know this is a common problem with the Y-blocks but hopefully there is a fix for it short of a complete rebuild as the engine runs great, just the oiling problem on the top end. Cam bearings????

Gil

JBravo 08-24-2009 07:26 AM

I have a 272 in one of my 56's... It has what appears to be brass lines running up under the valve covers... is that the external oilers you're speaking of? Is that factory or has someone added that on?

Bravo

WALFORD'S 56 08-24-2009 09:52 AM

Those external oiling kits were Ford's quick fix for yblock and even 6 cylinder top end oil starvation.

I started a thread asking for help,and 1 guy said call AAA and my engine was junk. It took me awhile,but kept asking questions and the ticking was the valve adjustment.

The external oil kit is just to add a little more oil up top. I was told cam bearing slipped and all sorts of dread.......but now this 56 F600 wants to purrrrrrrr.....haha!!!

Now anyone want to inform me on a mallory or pertronix dizzy? I also am going to pitch the genny and go alternator.......when you drive your trucks/cars.....nothing beats reliability.
Thanks

tlb 08-24-2009 10:57 AM

Bill,

I just replaced my points with a petronix module and coil in my 302. Probably the easiest thing i ever did to my truck. I bought the coil to match the module because you need a minimum resistance of 1.5 ohms. The coil has the resistor built in. I took my points, condenser and wire, put them in a plastic bag and put them in my glove box just in case something happens to the ignition module. I also put in the bag a match book cover to set the gap for the points if need be.

Terry

4tl8ford 08-24-2009 02:19 PM

I don't remember telling you that Y-Block was junk - I'm the only ex-pert that I know along the North Shore.:-dancing1:-X10:-hair:-jammin

2many56s 08-24-2009 02:25 PM

How does a valve adjustment fix a oiling problem? Did you remove the oiling kit or is it still on the motor?

ALBUQ F-1 08-24-2009 04:16 PM

As I recall, oiling problems back in the day were due to sludge build-up from non-detergent oils. Rather than pull the engine apart to clean out the passages, Ford came up with the external oilers.

F6Guy 08-24-2009 06:32 PM

Congrats on fixing your problem. I installed a pertronix module and coil on my truck two years ago. I was so impressed I installed one on my 56 Ford 600 series tractor that I just restored. Works great for that application too!

WALFORD'S 56 08-24-2009 07:56 PM

I had a ticking that sounded to all that heard it as an oiling issue. I was not sure....and was told that an external oiling kit would help and the noise would stop...but did not.

I thought it could be the heat riser in the exhaust....but it wasn't.
I figure it could be the valves needed adjusted.....and it was.
The ext.oiling kit is on but my buddy says I am getting sufficient oil up top but I am use to a lot of oil up top as my mopars would have.

Dick....you are an expert and more so than the guy who informed me about all this....and you know whom I speak....LOL
That is one cool engine test stand you showed me.....I built one years ago but not that nice......but I had a L88 427 TRIPOWER motor on it.....real cool!!!

TLB and F6GUY.....I hope to get my dizzy from summit and hope to get rid of the points and good ridence.
thanks guys

WALFORD'S 56 08-24-2009 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by 2many56s (Post 7862777)
How does a valve adjustment fix a oiling problem? Did you remove the oiling kit or is it still on the motor?

Todd,
The kit is still on and with a valve so just a trickle comes out.
No tick :-missingt........silence is golden....LOL
THANKS