Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum267/)
-   -   63 Unibody my new project (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/878494-63-unibody-my-new-project.html)

jwcnj45 08-22-2009 01:03 PM

63 Unibody my new project

After seaching for a 61-66 project truck I finally found a 63 Uni that was pretty solid. Most of trucks in this area are complete rust buckets do to the salt air,etc. It's basicly a rolling shell at this point because the PO started a resto but lost interest. I intend to make it my daily driver. This is my first new project since finishing my F1 about 5 years ago. I will have many questions no doubt to ask you guys in the future but I am really excited about doing this truck. I posted a few pics of it in Photo Albums.

gritsngumbo 08-22-2009 02:52 PM

Decent looking truck. Suggest you post the pics in your garage (on the right side of the banner, opposite the album link). Makes them a little easier to find for other interested members.

kjvforme 08-22-2009 03:26 PM

Looks like it's going to be a fun project. The front grill looks like a 62 front, the 63 had retangular sections in it I thought. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. Is the transmission in the bed a three speed with overdrive? How bad is the 292? Did they mention why it was apart?

gritsngumbo 08-22-2009 03:33 PM

kjv: You are correct. I didn't notice that. I put a 62 grill in my 63 Uni. Guess I thought it was supposed to look that way.

Customcab 08-22-2009 03:43 PM

Great looking project, you Uni's guys make me jealous. looking forward to seeing progress. It has a 62 grille, but it looks good to me.........

Mitch

kjvforme 08-22-2009 04:09 PM

I thought it looked like mine. Looking forward to seeing this one get back up and running.l

jwcnj45 08-22-2009 05:10 PM

Didn't know the grille was from a 62. I am not up on these trucks but I always liked the looks of them. The motor was apart to refresh or rebuild by the PO. I don't know which. It is a 292, he told me the heads were rebuilt. They are wrapped up in plastic bags but look as though they at least saw a valve job. The block doesn't show much wear and turns smoothly. I don't know how to ID the trans I only know it's a three speed. Since I do not know if all the engine parts are even there I will probably go with a 302 and maybe an overdrive trans in it. I want to use it daily and have to comute about 50 miles round trip a day. Gonna try to put the pics in the Garage area as suggested. I love these forums, You guys are already helping me. Hey, Grits and Gumbo, I just looked at your truck and the similarities are suprising. Especially the grilles. Yours is sweet compaired to mine though. If I could have found something as nice as that around here I would already ready be driving it!

gritsngumbo 08-22-2009 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jwcnj45 (Post 7857169)
Since I do not know if all the engine parts are even there I will probably go with a 302 and maybe an overdrive trans in it.

As a Y-block lover, I say "don't do it. Keep the Y-block" What you're missing you can locate fairly easily and there's nothing that sounds like a Y-block. Can't see much of the tranny, but with the long tail shaft you may very well have a "hard to find" 3 speed "overdrive" tranny.

Bill W 08-22-2009 06:54 PM

Nice project! good luck with it.

shanks63 09-02-2009 10:57 AM

looks to be a nice truck. I have a 63 myself and I drive it regularly. Fun trucks to work on but pretty rare as well which makes parts scarce. Good luck with the project and I cant wait to see the finished product.