Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Appearance & Dress-Up (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum71/)
-   -   Gear Shifting Knob (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87656-gear-shifting-knob.html)

SouthPCraz 06-03-2002 09:43 PM

Gear Shifting Knob

My names Rick and i came up with an idea of making a brass gear shifting knob on a metal lathe for the 78 F-150 4x4 I'm going to buy from my grandpa and restore hopefully. I want to turn a peice of round stock brass and cut it down on the metal lathe the same size and shape of the plastic ones that come on fords today. But after i cut it down, i want to drill a small hole in it, and put a light in it the size of a christmas light bulb, and then put a small round peice of flexo-glass on top. Then run the wire down the stick and to a switch and what not. Has anyone ever tried this or wanted to try this or have any tips or anything. It sounds like a really good and easy idea to me if you know how to use a lathe so i think im going to try it. Any feedback:) or critisism:-hair is aprecciated. Thanks

335clevo 06-06-2002 07:57 AM

Gear Shifting Knob

HEY!!!

That is 1 deadly idea mate!! You have inspired me, I'm going to try the same thing!!

335C!!

zukezake 06-07-2002 03:06 PM

Gear Shifting Knob

>My names Rick and i came up with an idea of making a brass
>gear shifting knob on a metal lathe for the 78 F-150 4x4 I'm
>going to buy from my grandpa and restore hopefully. I want
>to turn a peice of round stock brass and cut it down on the
>metal lathe the same size and shape of the plastic ones that
>come on fords today. But after i cut it down, i want to
>drill a small hole in it, and put a light in it the size of
>a christmas light bulb, and then put a small round peice of
>flexo-glass on top. Then run the wire down the stick and to
>a switch and what not. Has anyone ever tried this or wanted
>to try this or have any tips or anything. It sounds like a
>really good and easy idea to me if you know how to use a
>lathe so i think im going to try it. Any feedback:) or
>critisism:-hair is aprecciated. Thanks

Two negatives things that come to mind.

#1... lighting strike protection. Ok i've never seen a car hit by lightning my self.. but hey.

#2... could be brutaly cold in the winter.

#3... enhanced transmision of engery between the tranny and arm. This can be good, but it also can hurt too...

Otherwise damn spiffy, would probally consider doing it my self... brass, hardwood, plastic, whatever. And in theory a second owner if they felt it nessicary could use a ruberized coating to resolve the cold issue.

SouthPCraz 06-17-2002 12:00 PM

Gear Shifting Knob

>Otherwise damn spiffy, would probally consider doing it my
>self... brass, hardwood, plastic, whatever.

How hard do you think it would be to order a peice of 3inch round stock blued plastic(to match the truck) or a peice of brass that big also. Do you think you could order it at a hardware store like you can flexo-glass and glass? My shop teacher used to order yellow round stock plastic for our metal lathes and we would spin it and make screw driver handles for screw drivers we made alot.

1968F250LWB 06-19-2002 08:06 AM

Gear Shifting Knob