Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   E40D Transmission shudders? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/875727-e40d-transmission-shudders.html)

94shorty 08-12-2009 01:55 PM

E40D Transmission shudders?

Hi all,

Ford 'cherry' here. Just picked up a '94 reg. cab shortbox 2wd with the 4.9 and E40D from my father-in-law. It needs some work, but I have some updates planned soon.

Anyways, truck starts, idles and shifts fine, but at about 35-45mph, just barely on the gas to maintain that speed, the truck as best as I can describe shudders, like it is slipping in and out of overdrive quickly? If I give it more gas, it clears and accelerates normally. Manually turning off the overdrive helps a little, but doesn't seem to make too much of a difference. Once above that 55-60, no problems at all. Like I said, trans seems to work fine other than this issue. Any suggestions? Please tell me the tranny isn't about to go... :-X16

Anthony

Old93junk 08-12-2009 02:13 PM

You need a trans service with all the fluid including the torque converter changed, and the friction modifier added, that will end the shudders.

quicklook2 08-12-2009 02:26 PM

welcome ti fte.

this is a very common problem.

usually just a complete fluid and filter change does the trick.

shudder fixx is a good additive if you think you need one.

94shorty 08-20-2009 10:51 AM

I replaced the filter and fluid and the shudder is gone. Thanks!

But, there is another problem though with my I6. There is almost a steady miss at idle and intermittently while maintaining cruising speed(barely on the pedal). If I raise the idle in neutral, the miss is easily noticed as well. I've replaced the air filter, plugs(gapped correctly at .044), cap & rotor, but still have the wires yet to do and although it is running better there is still this miss. It feels ignition related, not fuel related as more throttle seems to clear it out.
I'm hoping a friend can put his code reader on it tonight as the CEL hasn't come on at all. Like everyone else, I hoping to avoid replacing good working part$ in attempts to trace the down the problem. What symptoms does a a bad TPS give? I can't e-test this truck until I get this miss cured! Help! :confused:

PS. I know the firing order, but does anyone have pics of how their plugs wires are routed?

quicklook2 08-20-2009 11:46 AM

what brand and type of plugs, rotor/cap?

wiring routing is not that big a deal on 4.9 as long as they are not touching each other.

probably not tps.

maybe ignition wires.

glad the shudder is gone.

94shorty 08-20-2009 12:57 PM

The truck is very new to me, so I'm not familiar with it's quirks yet. Just came back from a short ride at lunch and now that the overdrive shudder is gone:-dancing1, I can't really tell if the miss is what's making it stumble and buck(best way to describe it) at cruising speed(slightly on the throttle)
Trying to slowly rev it up to a higher RPM, the miss is noticeable, rev it up quick and it's not noticeable? Could the torque converter lockup or overdrive cause this? There are no clunks or noises and runs out alright, it's just an odd stumble pulling away from a stop but it is consistent when trying to maintain cruising speed between 30-40.

quicklook2 08-20-2009 01:19 PM

answer what i asked you.

BPofMD 08-20-2009 01:57 PM

Did you refill the tranny with MERCON 5? That's what takes the shudder away.

94shorty 08-20-2009 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by quicklook2 (Post 7849817)
what brand and type of plugs, rotor/cap?

wiring routing is not that big a deal on 4.9 as long as they are not touching each other.

probably not tps.

maybe ignition wires.

glad the shudder is gone.

Oh sorry, that' s what I intended to do in my previous post. economy brand cap and rotor, ac delco plugs. Wires are Motorcraft.

94shorty 08-20-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BPofMD (Post 7850213)
Did you refill the tranny with MERCON 5? That's what takes the shudder away.

No, I used Dex/Mercon as I was told 5 was for the new trucks.

quicklook2 08-20-2009 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by 94shorty (Post 7850321)
Oh sorry, that' s what I intended to do in my previous post. economy brand cap and rotor, ac delco plugs. Wires are Motorcraft.

you get what you pay for.

get motorcraft parts and motorcraft copper resistor plugs, not platinums.

are the ac's platinum? if so that is part of the problem.

are the wires new?

are you positive the firing order is correct? check again.

Milwaukee1979F150 08-20-2009 07:08 PM

Keep turn off overdrive if you at 45 mph but if you go 55 then turn on

Been do with Ford Van E350. Almost all road I use are 45 mph so it annoy when it keep shift so keep off to prevent burn transmission.

quicklook2 08-20-2009 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by 94shorty (Post 7822475)
Manually turning off the overdrive helps a little, but doesn't seem to make too much of a difference.
Anthony

he already said he tried that.

94shorty 08-21-2009 10:56 AM

Good news! Truck runs great now! Passed my e-test(smog) this morning too!:-dancing1
Sorry, I answered Motorcraft wires in my previous post by mistake, they were a premium 8mm set that WERE on there and I replaced them with a set of Motorcraft wires and that cured it! I also blasted a little combustion chamber cleaner down the throttle bodies too and she's purring like a kitten. Truck no longer bucks at cruising speed either.:-dancing1

Now, all that's left is to do is the safety check on Monday. This will determine what's left for my few planned upgrades.

Thanks for all your help & suggestions.:-X25

quicklook2 08-21-2009 11:23 AM

what did i win?

glad you got it figured out.

get rid of the other non motorcraft crap and you will be happier in the long run.