Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   94 F150 - fuel pump runs but truck won't start (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/875122-94-f150-fuel-pump-runs-but-truck-wont-start.html)

R202INT 08-10-2009 03:33 PM

94 F150 - fuel pump runs but truck won't start

Hello all,
94 F150, 4.9 5spd, 282,000 miles. Ran out of gas about 3 times in the last week. However, according to mileage calculations, I shouldn't have. (no, gas gauge doesn't work - not consistently, anyway). Anyway, I supposedly "ran out" yesterday afternoon, poured in 2.75 gallons, and had to turn the switch on and off about 7 or 8 times, before it would crank. Ran fine coming home, about 2 miles, but it did seem like it was trying to die out once, (for a few seconds), but continued running. Parked in the driveway, and went out this afternoon, but it will not start. Considered that it might have a hole in the tank, and had leaked out, but saw no evidence of this. Incidentally, my mileage has always been around 15.7 mpg, but after calculation, it showed it to be 9.02 mpg. This thing has really got me in a spot, as I am supposed to go back to work this Wednesday, after being out of work for about 3 months. Any help/suggestions would be ever, ever so much appreciated. (And no, I'm not interested in participating in "Cash for Clunkers" !!! I mean, Come On - it's a FORD! They don't run good till they get about 1/2 wore out!!)

Thanks

Popa Tim 08-10-2009 03:49 PM

Do you have dual tanks? One tank could be pumping into the other.

Have your fuel pressure tested. Be sure to check the FPR for leaks, and do the bleeddown test on the injectors.

Volvo92906 08-10-2009 04:13 PM

fuel filter?

SaikotikGunman 08-10-2009 04:31 PM

Ditto on fuel filter change. If you don't remember it being changed recently, it's always worthwhile.

But that's probably not your problem. Check fuel pressure and pull codes if applicable, then work from there.

R202INT 08-10-2009 08:44 PM

Volvo92906, you are quite likely correct about the fuel filter. Friend of mine who does roadside repair on tractor trailers, came by and put his diagnostic scanner on it, but it would not give any codes. Said it was "unable to read" or something to that effect. However, he pushed the stem in on the fuel line fitting, and only got a little rusty gas, which smelt like it had been sitting up for several years. This was with the pump running. It more or less just dribbled out. So, I conclude that the inside of the filter has finally disintegrated and quite likely all of the sediment, trash, etc. it has trapped over the last few years, is now into the injectors. Anyhow, I cannot get the fuel lines to disconnect from the filter. Yes, I have the tool, same one I used to disconnect the fuel lines when I replaced the fuel pump a year or so ago. You can hear the bonnet spring release, but it will not come off of the fuel filter outlet pipe. The only thing I know to do is to try to spray some PB Blaster in to the line to lubricate it and the spring. Any other ideas?????

Volvo92906 08-10-2009 09:00 PM

(I work on tractor trailers too)

Umm. I would spray some PB on it also. Thats all I can tell you. I have butterfly clips or whatever on my truck. But, my first idea would be to replace the filter just because its easy and cheap. Kind of like checking the battery first when you have no power.

Good luck!

SaikotikGunman 08-10-2009 09:47 PM

My filter was held into those aluminum bells on the fuel line by some kind of retainer that reminded me of the parking brake cable clips that hold it in the frame bracket and drum. I forced them, not knowing what to expect, and ruined what was left of the retainers(someone else had mangled them once before and just crammed what was left back in there).

Took some tiny hose clamps, cut the screw adjuster off of it, and coiled the band inside that aluminum bell, used needle nose pliers to open it up inside there enough for the rib on the filter end to get past it, and then slipped the filter in, making sure it locked in.

I'll probably never be able to get it apart again, but I'll cross that bridge some other day. It doesn't leak!