Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other; Brakes, Electrical, Hitches, Weight Distribution & CDL Discussion (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum290/)
-   -   toilet troubles (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/874929-toilet-troubles.html)

hanklin 08-09-2009 08:08 PM

toilet troubles

This is wierd
I empty tank after every use.We go to coast on Friday morn. and by Sat. when you use toilet you can see waste through hole. After 1 day.3 people,normal use.no foreign objects,tampons,rolls etc.I go to empty today and most empties but bowl won`t empty and is showing 2/3 full on levels meter. I tried plunger and putting pole inside thinking something is blocked at end.NOT fun stuff here.I put more anti-odor stuff but nothing works.Paper is correct stuff. Please help with ideas

Hanklin

87mh 08-09-2009 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by hanklin (Post 7812024)
This is wierd...Please help with ideas

Do an internet search on "RV Brown Mountain".

Basically, it is a solid build up that will not flow....nasty stuff.

It comes from not flushing enough water through the black tank.

Two ways to handle it -

One, fill black tank with water (while the dump hose is hooked up and the dump valve open) and try to work a snake down to the valve opening. Usually the agitation will work the "mountain" loose and with enough water flow will eventually flush everything out. Make sure you work from the toilet down and not from the valve up - tough to close a valve with crap coming at you and a snake across the valve - think Robin Williams in "RV" here.

Two, almost fill the black tank and drop in some "enzymes", usually these are available at a larger camping outlet. These enzyemes actually "eat" the solids and break the turds down to a point where everything will flow out of the valve. The "deoderant" you are using might be working against you, as some deoderants contain formaldehyde, which kills all bacteria. As an aside, most campground operators HATE anyone who uses a formaldehyde base odor suppresant - it kills all of the bacteria in their septic systems and oftentimes calls for a vacuum service to pull it out and start the system from scratch.

Some campers use products such as a "magic wand" to flush the tank either from the toilet or from an external hookup to the tank. I don't care for the idea of a piece of metal or plastic whipping around in my plastic tank - also there have been reports of these devices breaking off in the tank. Better to utilize a clear 90 or 45 fitting right at the valve, this gives a visual of how the tank is emptying.

Another thing I do is to "rock" fluid from my gray tank to the black tank to ensure the black tank is fully flushed. After fully emptying my black tank I close an auxiliary external valve downstream of the clear angle, then dump about half of the gray tank into the black tank, close the gray tank valve, then dump the black tank again. I was surprised at how inefficient the black tank dumping system was. If you leave any solids at all in the black tank with no fluid the solids will further solidify and exacerbate your "brown mountain" problems. Be careful to not allow any black tank fluid to back flow into the gray tank.

Try adding water and enzymes first and let the system sit for a week or two - take it for a drive, if you can, to help by agitating the system. This solution works best for me - I don't have to get close up and personal with the problem. I also try to always leave a few gallons of almost clean (fresh) water in the black tank (flush the toilet for a bit after dumping to add the proper amount of water). This allows any solids left in the system to not dry out (if there were any left in the tank), and also alows a liquor for the bacteria to grow in so they do not have to start from "scratch" on your next outing. The water left in the black tank has a further use - it will slosh around during your drive home and wash any paper or other solids hanging on the wall of the tank to the floor, allowing the above mentioned bugs to work on nasties and do their stuff.

hanklin 08-09-2009 09:15 PM

well I just went out and flushed bowl(water off) and 1/2 emptied. I `m thinkin another day to go then hopefully other 1/2 emptys then I can do ;fill with water and add enzymes. I`m using Oxy-kem from wally world which is formaldehyde free.can I over add enzymes?

hanklin 08-09-2009 10:49 PM

I forgot to mention

Thanks for help :-X22

Hanklin

senix 08-10-2009 05:17 AM

I had to literally get in there and un plug in this last week. Someone did not use enough water and with three girls I know they were using way to much TP and not enough water.

Not a fun task.

socalduner 08-10-2009 12:36 PM

One easy way to clear your tank is to put some water in it and add about 5 or 6 big bags of ice (depends on the size of your tank)and go for a drive and the ice sloshing around breaks down the solids and when it melts you just drain it out.:-X22

FordxFour 08-10-2009 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by socalduner (Post 7814179)
One easy way to clear your tank is to put some water in it and add about 5 or 6 big bags of ice (depends on the size of your tank)and go for a drive and the ice sloshing around breaks down the solids and when it melts you just drain it out.:-X22

This is what I have always done. Works like a charm...

bpounds 08-10-2009 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by hanklin (Post 7812024)
I empty tank after every use.

Don't do that. Leave your dump valves closed until the tank is at least half filled, or until you are ready to leave the campsite.

How to handle it now has been well covered by others.

mistakenID 08-10-2009 01:45 PM

One other thing that helps is after you have dumped, pour several 5 gallon buckets of water down the toilet, empty the bucket quickly. If you do this every time, you should never have a problem. I always mix a bit of water and chemical in the bucket and pour into the tank afterward and leave it in the tank.

Old Rusty Wrench 08-10-2009 02:15 PM

My rig stays put for several months (6 to 7) and have had blockage problems during the weekly drain. I use a lass-up of slider valves on the hose drain attact point to back flush the blockage. Works well.

WestxSRT10 08-10-2009 03:29 PM

You need a black tank flush..took me about 45min to install. http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40126-To.../dp/B000BUU5TU

Use about 4 oz of Dawn dish soap in the black and gray tank and your problems will be over.

bpounds 08-10-2009 04:01 PM

Also consider adding some bran to those kids diet.

:-X24

hanklin 08-10-2009 04:14 PM

Bill
those kids are havin bran for 3 meals..haha.
I`m still waiting for water in bowl to go down so I can take it to next level.

Hanklin

hanklin 08-10-2009 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by bpounds (Post 7814318)
Don't do that. Leave your dump valves closed until the tank is at least half filled, or until you are ready to leave the campsite.

How to handle it now has been well covered by others.

I meant to say,after every outing,whether it`s for week or w/end.It`s never been full that's why I couldn`t understand that why after 1 night I can see waste when I empty-id last time I came home

Old Rusty Wrench 08-10-2009 06:51 PM

Black tank flush will only add more water. The outlet port is blocked. A plunger will not work because of the vent. I do not know what would happen if one would use one of those expanding things you put on the end of a hose and put it down the vent pipe. The toilet may back fire and that would not be good. There are toilet wands sprayers that may work from inside the toilet down pipe if you can direct at the drain port.