Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2010 - 2014 Ford SVT F150 Raptor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum243/)
-   -   Interesting 2010 info......6.2 V8 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/873484-interesting-2010-info-6-2-v8.html)

powerstroke72 08-04-2009 12:09 PM

Interesting 2010 info......6.2 V8

Just found this online and it lists the 6.2 as available in the 2010 F-150:

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/08...ford-f150.html

Scorpion67 08-04-2009 12:43 PM

ahh i was excited there for a second. He also listed Raptor as one of the models. The 6.2 is confirmed for the Raptor, its even in the brochure. So it is fitting for Mike to list it as one of the engines. Not confirmed for anything else yet.

powerstroke72 08-04-2009 12:45 PM

Yeah but I'm hopeful.

Jefff H 08-04-2009 01:51 PM

That article is very misleading. These are trim packages that make it impossible to get all the options and colors you want in a truck because they are reserved for their respective trims. There are to many trim lines! For example: I want a Lariat, but I can't get the stone grey interior because it is reserved for the Platinum. I want a Platinum but can't get the red or blue exterior because it is reserved for the lower trims. This goes on and on! It's actually more restrictive than ever.

fordtruckman 08-04-2009 05:03 PM

I don't see why they wouldn't make it available to the XLT, FX4, Platinum, and Harley Davidson. Well maybe not the first 2.

How expensive of an option is the 6.2l? You'd think they would encourage people to select that option.

Aztrainer 08-04-2009 05:45 PM

OK, I have the stupid question about the 6.2.... Since they redesigned the 5.4 to a 3 valve to save gas and boost the EPA rating why did they not do the same thing for the 6.2? I would love to see a 6.2 with 3 Valves vs the 2 valves.

OK, I have the asbestos underwear on.....They ich.....

silver05fx4 08-04-2009 05:50 PM

well i hope they make the 6.2 the standard engine for the fx4

but what i wanted to know is whats the mpg going to be ...if i'm not mistakeing all truck have to be 25mpg by 2016 ...so i don't think they are going to take a step back by lossing mpg

Scorpion67 08-05-2009 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by fordtruckman (Post 7795211)
I don't see why they wouldn't make it available to the XLT, FX4, Platinum, and Harley Davidson. Well maybe not the first 2.

How expensive of an option is the 6.2l? You'd think they would encourage people to select that option.

It's a $3000 option on the Raptor. My guess is it will be available on more models for 2011, but Ford will ease it in to production during the second half of 2010, to gain a sense of demand, iron out any potential problems etc. If they cranked it out as an option for all F250, F150s on day 1, and under or over supplied, or needed a massive recall.. that could be a bad thing for Ford. But I am impatient and want it now! Right now!

krewat 08-05-2009 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by silver05fx4 (Post 7795402)
but what i wanted to know is whats the mpg going to be ...if i'm not mistakeing all truck have to be 25mpg by 2016 ...so i don't think they are going to take a step back by lossing mpg

I suspect it will be a VERY limited quantity in the 1/2 tons. Either it'll continue to be an expensive option so as to limit the people who buy it, or they will limit it to a certain version (Raptor) that's expensive, again to limit the people who buy it.

The 25mpg is, I believe, an average mileage, just like CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) for cars. They have to limit the 6.2's to keep the overall average up.

For the Superduty (F250 and up) line, there won't be mileage limits, I don't think.

tseekins 08-06-2009 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Krewat (Post 7798367)
I suspect it will be a VERY limited quantity in the 1/2 tons. Either it'll continue to be an expensive option so as to limit the people who buy it, or they will limit it to a certain version (Raptor) that's expensive, again to limit the people who buy it.

The 25mpg is, I believe, an average mileage, just like CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) for cars. They have to limit the 6.2's to keep the overall average up.

For the Superduty (F250 and up) line, there won't be mileage limits, I don't think.

I think you spot on sir and one will never find an EPA estimate on a 2500 series chassis or heavier anyway. You can't expect a vehicle thats intended for heavy use to achieve high mpg's.

It's been stated on previous discussions here that the 6.2L will be the engine for the raptor, base for the SD and optional on all other F-150's of certain trim levels.

Tim

YoGeorge 08-06-2009 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Aztrainer (Post 7795374)
OK, I have the stupid question about the 6.2.... Since they redesigned the 5.4 to a 3 valve to save gas and boost the EPA rating why did they not do the same thing for the 6.2? I would love to see a 6.2 with 3 Valves vs the 2 valves.

OK, I have the asbestos underwear on.....They ich.....

One reason for going to 3 valves in the 5.4 is that it's got the same small bore that the 4.6 has, and this small bore limits valve sizes. The 4.6 was designed with small bore centers so it could fit sideways in front wheel drive cars, and IMO is a stupid basis for a truck engine, but that's water under the bridge.

Using 2 intake valves allows the 3-valve engine to perform better AT HIGH RPM's. Multiple valves are used to more advantage in small engines that rev high.

The 6.2 is designed with a larger bore (4" I believe, with capacity for larger bore). This enables the starting valve sizes to be bigger, and if it is a properly designed truck engine, it's designed to make more power at lower RPM's.

There are a lot of great engines with 2 valves per cylinder--things like the old Chrysler hemi engine, the Chevy rat motor, etc...

George

krewat 08-06-2009 12:09 PM

Actually, the 3-valve configuration works well at low RPMs too, if you were to cut one intake runner at low RPMs. You'd get a lot more intake runner velocity at low end.

However, I don't think Ford does that ;)

YoGeorge 08-06-2009 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Krewat (Post 7801580)
Actually, the 3-valve configuration works well at low RPMs too, if you were to cut one intake runner at low RPMs. You'd get a lot more intake runner velocity at low end.

However, I don't think Ford does that ;)

Yup, Subaru, in their basic 4 valve engine, has variable lift on one of the two intake valves. At low RPM, one intake valve opens much wider than the other, promoting swirl of the mixture; at high RPM, both intakes open fully.

You can do a lot of tricks with variable valve lifts and stuff. I recall reading that Ford is setting up the 6.2 to be able to shut off cylinders for cruising mpg.

It all adds complexity and cost, though.

George

krewat 08-06-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by YoGeorge (Post 7801779)
I recall reading that Ford is setting up the 6.2 to be able to shut off cylinders for cruising mpg.

That's the first time I've ever heard Ford is considering that with the 6.2

It would be a good thing, I think, for MPGs. Might help the 6.2 get more exposure in the half-tons.

RISUPERCREWMAN 08-06-2009 03:57 PM

If Ford offered the 6.2 in the F-150 XLT & UP, they would Rule the Pickup Truck World with a Iron Fist! They are crazy of they don't!...