Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 to 2016 Super Duty (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum30/)
-   -   HELP!!!1999 F250 Super Duty 4x4 Popping Sound (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/873315-help-1999-f250-super-duty-4x4-popping-sound.html)

carysf250 08-03-2009 08:59 PM

HELP!!!1999 F250 Super Duty 4x4 Popping Sound

I have a 1999 F250 Super Duty 4x4 V10 that just turned 100k miles. It started making a popping noise from the drivers front wheel when I turn the wheels. It is worse when I turn right. I can also feel it in the steering wheel. I was thinking the u joints, because it sounds and feels like a CV joint going out on a front wheel drive car. However, I was told that this would only happen if the hubs are engaged? It does the same thing in or out of 4 wheel drive.
Any ideas? Help!
Thanks,
Dan

ReAX 08-03-2009 09:20 PM

The ujoints should only move when the hubs are locked. You might try lifting the front end up and spinning the tires, if the ujoints move you need to double check the hubs are in free. It's possible this is the beginning of a bearing failure, causing the stub shafts to spin and allowing the ujoints to impact the axle. either way, look at it soon and in the air.

carysf250 08-03-2009 09:50 PM

Thanks, I will get it up in the air and check it out. If it is the bearing, how big of a job is it? I am a decent mechanic, but never worked on a 4x4 front end.

ReAX 08-04-2009 07:50 AM

If there is slop in the needle bearings, you probably have to replace the hubs. There is another bearing package, but you should be able to hear/feel it rattle while you drive.

For the hubs it's pretty simple, check out guzzle's needle bearing greasing page to see the dis/re assembly procedure. http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/allube.html

The bearing assy behind it is a little more involved, but a good set of regular tools and an afternoon should be all you need.

carysf250 08-04-2009 12:21 PM

Ok,
I jacked it up and found that the only movement I could get seemed to be from the lower ball joint. If I grab the wheel and push in and out on the top and bottom. Could the popping sound be from the ball joint?

carysf250 08-04-2009 12:34 PM

I have to make a change to my last reply. When I jacked it up the u joint did spin when I spun the tire. It was not in 4 wheel drive, but I checked the manual hub and turned it counter clockwise a little.
Now the axle is not turning when not in 4 wheel and guess what? The popping sound when away! Am I back to it being the u joints that are bad?
When I look online at all of the stuff involved in replacing anything involved with the front axle, my head spins! Lots of stuff and lots of money!! Not sure if I want to tackle it myself.
If it is the u joints, I hardly ever put it in 4 wheel, can I just let it go for a while? Any danger in that?

mountaineer27 08-04-2009 12:43 PM

i would still replace the u joint but when you take the hub off check the wear on it. if it was riding right on the locked/unlock and was just contacting at certain points could have screwed up the the. put it in 4x4 and drive it down the road and see if it still pops first. might just have be clicking cuz it was right there on the line. thats my two cents anyway

carysf250 08-04-2009 12:51 PM

Thanks,
I just took it for a spin in 4 wheel drive, everything seemed fine. No popping or grinding, lots of grabbing of tires on the dry pavement. The only worry I have now is that bit of play I saw in the lower ball joint. I know I am going to need to replace that, what a pain in the butt that looks like. I might as well replace the hub and u joints while I am in that far, it all has to come out anyhow!! Crap!

mountaineer27 08-04-2009 12:59 PM

you should be able to pull it apart pretty quick. i had to tear one of a truck around that year for a lift kit that required a new steering drop knuckel. oly took me about 20-30 min to get it apart. an impact wrench will make life a lot easier.

1Aauto 08-04-2009 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by carysf250 (Post 7794292)
Thanks,
I just took it for a spin in 4 wheel drive, everything seemed fine. No popping or grinding, lots of grabbing of tires on the dry pavement. The only worry I have now is that bit of play I saw in the lower ball joint. I know I am going to need to replace that, what a pain in the butt that looks like. I might as well replace the hub and u joints while I am in that far, it all has to come out anyhow!! Crap!

We sell the hubs and ball joints.Here's a link to them on our site if you would like to check them out.

Ford Super Duty Hub Assemblies

Ford Super Duty Ball Joints