Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum170/)
-   -   I got AutoEnginuity...Now what??? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/871902-i-got-autoenginuity-now-what.html)

surfnturf 07-29-2009 10:39 PM

I got AutoEnginuity...Now what???

I can't figure out what I did, but my '97 7.3L F250 has had inconsistant but major problems (dying in intersections, crossing highways, etc.) ever since I cleaned out the fuel bowl and removed the corroded heater plate, and replaced the filter, etc. a month ago.

I have read so many positive things about AutoEnginuity's Scan Tool, that I bought the Ford Enhanced version, thinking this would help point me in the right direction.

I think it's installed correctly, I activated the Enhanced Ford upgrade, but I need some help.

Under Vehicle Selection, I have it set to:
Ford - 1997 - Powerstroke 7.3L - Enhanced Powertrain. (I think that's correct.)
When I go to retrive DTC's (diagnostic trouble codes), I'm not sure whether to try All, current system & OBD-II, or no systems. (I've tried all three options.)
The truck dies when It reaches a certain point in the scan (Is that normal?)

No matter what I do, Scantool does NOT return any DTC's. (Is that because our rigs are not OBD-II compliant, or am I doing something wrong?)

The only thing I see is Under Actuation, Command Name it reads "Coast Clutch Solenoid" and under Commanded it reads "Off".

aaron ford 07-29-2009 11:18 PM

http://www.itpdiesel.com/diagnostics.php
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%" align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD>

I stole this directly off of the ITP Powerstoke Diagnotic Tips. No Lie. Ripped it right off.

The website is located here.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/diagnostics.php

I take no credit for their work. Just found it on a search the other day and thought it was relevant to your situation.

7.3L and 6.0L AutoEnginuity Diagnostic Tips:
(more will be posted as we gather the information)
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>

Note: The information below is provided to assist in some of the very basic functions of the AE ScanTool.
One of our customers is working on a much more in depth FAQ that can be found HERE.

Important AutoEnginuity USB Hardware Note
Unlike devices connected via Serial cables, USB devices are "Powered" by the PC they are connected to. Connecting an AutoEnginuity USB ScanTool cable to a laptop computer that is being powered through the Cigarette Lighter/Power Port of the vehicle can cause ground loops through the laptop. At the very least this will lead to problems establishing communications with the vehicle, in some cases this can even damage the AutoEnginuity USB ScanTool hardware. This problem will occur whether using an inverter or powering directly off of 12v.
If you are using the AutoEnginuity USB ScanTool on a vehicle where the OBDII port and the Cigarette Lighter/Power Port share the same fused circuit (Ford Super Duty for example), do NOT power the laptop from the power ports.

AutoEnginuity Software Configuration
When you first launch the AutoEnginuity software there are some settings that need to be modified. The settings below are what we recommend to get the best results when connecting to Powerstroke Diesel vehicles. Connection to other vehicles may require changes to these settings. All of these settings are located in "Communications Configuration" on the "Vehicle" menu.
  • Computer Interface:
    • Select "Auto Detect Serial Port" ONLY if you are using a Serial version of the AutoEnginuity tool
    • Select "USB or Manually Set Serial Port" for USB versions of the AutoEnginuity tool
    • I prefer to turn off "Automatically Connect on Launch" so I can start the software without it trying to connect
  • Vehicle Interface (these settings are for the BEST connectivity support for FORD POWERSTROKE DIESEL TRUCKS ONLY):
    • "Vehicle Interface Type" should be "J1850PWM" for a 7.3L and "Auto-Detect" for a 6.0L
    • "Initialization Type" should be "Non-OBDII" when connecting to a 7.3L
      NOTE: The above settings will need to be changed to "Auto-Detect" and "OBDII Compliant" if connecting to a non-Powerstroke vehicle
    • "Use Fastmode CAN" and "Use Heartbeat" should not be selected when connecting to a Ford
  • The above settings are automatically saved. You won't need to adjust these unless you change them to connect to a different vehicle.
Cylinder Contribution Testing (7.3L)
AutoEnginuity can be used to execute Cylinder Contribution Tests (CCT) on 94-03 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel equipped vehicles (the 6.0L PCM doesn't have this functionalilty built-in). A common cause of failed CCTs is "EOT out of Range"...which means Engine Oil Temperature is out of range. The following approximate EOT values are required to execute a CCT:
  • 94-97 Powerstroke Diesel: 170°F+
  • 99-03 Powerstroke Diesel: 135°F+
Also, make sure that ALL accessories are turned off (A/C, etc.)
Note: on 94-97 Powerstroke Trucks, you may be able to audibly hear the test turning cylinders on and off (trucks with newer calibrations should complete 3 test cycles). The test will be terminated early if a cylinder is found to be very bad. Once that cylinder is repaired, the CCT will need to be run again to check the rest of the cylinders. You will not hear this on the 99-03 Powerstroke Trucks as the test is performed differently. There is also a potential problem with the CCT if it detects an issue with either the #6 or #8 cylinder. Due to the fact that cylinders #6 and #8 fire in sequence and are physically adjacent to each other in the engine, it is not uncommon for a CCT to mis-report a problem with one cylinder that actually exists in the other.
For 99-03 7.3L, another way to use AutoEnginuity to see if there are problems with a particular cylinder is to monitor the "Cylinder x Change Rotational Vel" or "Percentage of Crank Deceleration" PID (also commonly called PERDEL). This PID exists for all 8 cylinders and is a representation of crankshaft velocity change (decrease) at the time the cylinder is firing. Ideally, these should all read 0%. Any cylinder consistently reading more than 3-5% change in rotational velocity is suspect and should be further examined. Note: Engine should be fully warmed up before checking PERDEL data.
7.3L Injector "Buzz" Test
The Injector "Buzz" Test can be used to look for a faulty fuel injector. It is best to run this test on a totally cold engine, one that has sat overnight and has not been started.
Initiate the "Buzz" test and then listen carefully to the injectors as the test is completed. First, all 8 injectors will "Buzz" at the same time. Then, the IDM will "Buzz" the injectors in numerical order (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8). Remember that cylinders 1-3-5-7 are on the passenger side and 2-4-6-8 are on the drivers side, with cylinders 1 & 2 being at the front of the engine. You should hear a strong "Buzz" bouncing from side to side for all 8 injectors. If one of the injectors doesn't "Buzz", you've found a problem cylinder. It is important to note that when an injector fails to "Buzz" properly, you will still hear the other 7 injectors make a faint buzz...this is a designed function to protect the IDM.
Note: Because the IDM will "buzz" the other 7 injectors faintly during individual cylinder tests, it is possible for the "Buzz" test to report no problems detected. If the "Buzz" test reports no failures, but you don't hear a particular cylinder "Buzz"...more than likely there is a problem with that injector.
It should also be noted that an injector failing a "Buzz" test can have many causes. The injector can be in a failed state (loose armature plate screw, bad solenoid, etc.), the UCV (under valve cover) gasket or harness could be damaged or disconnected, the main engine harness could be damaged or the IDM could be damaged. Further inspection will be necessary to determine the actual problem...but at least you now have a place to start.
Quick KOEO Sensor Checks:
There are a few sensors that can be easily checked with a scantool. Starting with a "Dead Cold" engine (let it sit overnight, don't start), connect to the truck with the ScanTool. Check the following:
  1. Oil Temp should closely match the current Ambient Temp.
  2. Readings for Exhaust Backpressure, Manifold Absolute Pressure and Barometric Pressure should all be within 1/2 psi of each other (this should be true with the engine either warm or cold).
    (Note: with the engine running, MAP and EBP values are "Pressure + Baro". For example, if Baro is 14.7 and there is 2psi of boost, MAP will read 16.7. Also, there is a calculated PID called "Manifold Gauge Pressure" that doesn't have the Baro pressure added in).
KOER (Key On Engine Running) On-Demand Test:
On the 7.3L, the primary purpose of this test is to check the functionalilty of the High Pressure Oil System and the Exhaust Back Pressure Solenoid. On the 6.0L this test may return Misfire, VGT or Glowplug codes.
Requirements to Start (7.3L and 6.0L)
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>
7.3L Powerstroke Starting Req.:

</TD><TD colSpan=2>
6.0L Powerstroke Starting Req.:

</TD></TR><TR><TD>
Vehicle Power :
</TD><TD>
10.5v
</TD><TD>
Vehicle Power :
</TD><TD>
10.5v
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">
RPM Signal :
</TD><TD width="25%">
100rpm
</TD><TD width="25%">
RPM Signal :
</TD><TD width="25%">
100rpm
</TD></TR><TR><TD width="25%">
Inj. Cntrl Press. (ICP) :
</TD><TD width="25%">
0.85v (about 500psi)
</TD><TD width="25%">
Inj. Cntrl Press. (ICP) :
</TD><TD width="25%">
0.85v (about 500psi)
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
Fuel Pulse Width :
</TD><TD>
1 to 6 milliseconds
</TD><TD>
Fuel Pulse Width :
</TD><TD>
0.5 to 2 milliseconds
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD><TD></TD><TD colSpan=2>
FICM SYNC and SYNC Achieved

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Note: the above starting requirements for both 7.3L and 6.0L Powerstroke Diesels assume the following:
  • Sufficient Base Engine Oil Level and Pressure
  • Acceptable Quality Fuel
  • Sufficient Fuel Pressure
  • Sufficient Air Supply
  • Proper Glow Plug Operation
  • Proper Injection Timing (PCM Controlled)
P1298 - "IDM Failure" (7.3L)
This code can be set by a low battery. Connect a battery charger, clear codes and re-run KOEO tests. If this code doesn't return, check charging system and batteries and repair as necessary. If the code returns, IDM is suspect.
P1316 - "IDM Codes Detected" (7.3L)
IDM Codes are stored in memory in the IDM itself. The P1316 DTC is an indication that there are stored IDM Codes that need to be retrieved and/or cleared. Executing a "Clear Codes" will clear both PCM and IDM codes...DO NOT CLEAR CODES until you have retrieved and reviewed the codes stored in the IDM!
If you get a P1316 DTC, the following steps will allow you to view the stored codes in the IDM using AutoEnginuity:
  1. Execute a KOEO (Key On Engine Off) Test.
  2. Execute an Injector "Buzz" Test.
  3. The displayed results from these tests will include any stored IDM Codes.
Please keep in mind that IDM Codes are stored in memory. If you have a code indicating a fault, but there is no drivability problem, the fault may not currently exist. After taking note of the codes, execute a "Clear Codes". At this time you should be able to re-run the above tests with no IDM codes generated. If one or more IDM codes are still present after the "Clear Codes" command has been successfully executed and the above tests performed again, the fault still exists and further examination is necessary.
P1211 - "ICP Higher/Lower Than Desired" (7.3L)
We all know that this code is commonly caused by "Hot Chips" that are demanding more Injection Control Pressure (ICP) than the High Pressure Oil Pump can deliver. For what it's worth, these are the exact parameters that trigger this code:
  • ICP 410psi Higher Than Desired for 7 Seconds
  • ICP 280psi Lower Than Desired for 7 Seconds
This code can also be caused by legitimate High Pressure Oil System issues. Below is a list of some of the causes:
  • Failed or Sticking IPR (Injection Pressure Regulator)
  • Failed or Weak HPOP (High Pressure Oil Pump)
  • Any Leak in High Pressure Oil System (o-ring, stuck injector, etc.)
  • Low Fuel Pressure (Rare)
P1280 / P1281 / P1283 - (7.3L)
The above codes are related to ICP also. If the Service Engine Soon (SES) light is on and these codes are present, the ICP reading through any scantool will not be accurate as the PCM is using a "default" ICP value. These codes are all "electrical" in nature. Common causes are shorts between the Red and White IPR wires or between the Red IPR wire and ground. These can also sometimes indicate a PCM problem.
...more to come...

HTH

Aaron
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

kawa 07-29-2009 11:25 PM

I too have an AE scan tool. Have not got a lot of hours on it but just play with it. You sure as hell are not going to hurt it if you should push the wrong button. Get the manual, read the different test and just try them.

I think that you said that you removed the fuel heater plate, Right? I would still unplug the wire from the side of the fuel bowl. Have you checked the FPR screen? if it's plugged you will get similar problems.

What about the CPS? Have you got the recall?

Rog
}>

surfnturf 07-29-2009 11:46 PM

aaron ford - that's a lot of good info. Thanks, I'll be out there again tomorrow after work to try some of the ITP recommended settings.

kawa - thanks for the tip. I think you might be right on the FPR screen. I just found oout where that screen is! I was looking in the bottom of the bowl under the heater, I just discovered that it is at the top of the bowl! I'm on that right after work tomorrow.
I did the CPS a few years ago when my truck started dying on me (before the recall!) It's symptoms were slightly different than the problems I'm having now, but the new CPS immediately fixed the problem I had back then. I'm hoping you're right about the FPR screen. I had about a half inch of "Metallic Jello" in the bottom of my fuel bowl when I cleaned it out a month ago. It's possible that I clogged the screen while cleaning the bowl.

Thanks again, I'll let you know what I find.

pjwoolw 07-29-2009 11:59 PM

Clean the screen with a q-tip with the cotton end cut off. Drain the bowl, change the fuel filter and clean the screen frequently for a while. There is probably allot of junk in the fuel system. Mine was real dirty after only 2k. If your not running any fuel additives get yourself some Redline diesel RL-2. One bottle per tank for two or three fill ups. Then use it as directed on the bottle. Also when you change the filter fill the bowl about half way with the Redline product then install the filter.

F350-6 07-30-2009 08:13 PM

Hit the all or current button. Either one will bring up the engine DTC's that are stored in the computer. (at least it's supposed to if there are any there).

The truck dying during a scan is not normal. Does this happen when you're just waiting on the codes to appear, or are you running a KOEO or KOER test? (not supposed to have the truck running for the KOEO test)

73strokin 07-30-2009 08:28 PM

I tried scanning my truck via a KOER test a few times using an older AutoXray scan tool and I had the same issue with the truck shutting off part way through the test. All I can figure is that the tool wasn't up to date enough or it wasn't diesel compatible. Time to buy a Solus I guess! But if anyone has any insite on this occurance I too would be interested in your thoughts.

surfnturf 07-30-2009 10:39 PM

So I replaced the screen and O-rings on my FPR, the screen was coated with grime.
Started it up and ran great. I configured AE ScanTool and it reported no DTC's. Drove it for about 10 miles and the CEL came on, started to get sluggish.

Got home and plugged in the ScanTool and it reported this:
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower than Desired (Engine running.)

Then I ran KOEO Test and got:
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low

Both having to do with Injection Control Pressure. Not sure where to go from here. It's strange that all of these problems started after I cleaned the thick layer of crud from the bottom of my fuel bowl to search for a leak in the valley.

bud48fla 07-31-2009 03:32 PM

(Is that because our rigs are not OBD-II compliant). Yes that is correct, you have to set it on non-OBD-II compliant. I learned the hard way also. More info and easer to understand, than the info with the AutoInginuity.

surfnturf 08-04-2009 01:33 PM

Last night I unplugged & checked the ICP wiring & connection. It looked like corrosion was happening inside the connector on one of the pins, so I cleaned it up real good. Then I unplugged the IPR, inspected the wiring and connectors. Removed the IPR solenoid so I could check that part of the connector. Cleaned the connectors and put everything back together.
Now my truck won't start!
AE ScanTool shows: P0344 Camshaft Position A Circuit Intermittent

What could I have done to cause a CPS fault, and does this mean I need a new CPS? When my CPS went bad a few years ago, the truck would start, but would die at random times.

Brown Falcon 08-04-2009 02:46 PM

Sometimes the CPS's go out all at once. So it's possible the sensor just died.

surfnturf 08-04-2009 02:50 PM

I hope your right. I'll pick one up at the dealer (ouch) and put it in tonight.
I'm curious if my DTC's still exist:
P1211 Injector Control Pressure Higher/Lower than Desired ( Engine running.)
P1280 Injector Control Pressure Sensor Circuit Low

aaron ford 08-04-2009 03:20 PM

A 1211 is a bad IPR or a bad HPOP. With a good IPR, the truck would run until hot then die. With a bad IPR it will not start at all. If you so decide to replace the HPOP, I will ship you my core to avoid the core costs (IPR or HPOP). This way you can have your pump and theirs too.

I think the dieselsite has the cheapest HPOP at 469. Ebay IPRs go much cheaper.

My truck would die at stop lights, then not restart until the ICP was disconnected. Then it dies all together only to run when cold. When I resealed the IPR, it died completely. I put in a new IPR and it got back to running when cold. The HPOP fixed my issues. Runs great now.

Aaron

F350-6 08-04-2009 06:08 PM

Did you make sure you got the IPR plugged back in good? The tin nut on the back of the IPR didn't fall off did it?

Go to your live data page and select Engine RPM's, ICP psi, & ICP %. Watch those numbers and crank. If the RPM's stay at 0, you need a new CPS. If ICP % doesn't climb while cranking, you've got an IPR issue. ICP psi needs to reach 500 for the truck to start.

adamzelazowski 06-19-2010 02:59 PM

MY AE CAN COMINICATE WITH VEHICLE

I HAVE 6.0 2003 AND AFTER ONE YEAR I TRY CONECT MY AE AND I SHOULD ACTIVED ONE MORE TIME ?