Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2004 - 2008 F150 (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum24/)
-   -   2006 and Up Front Brake Job (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/871712-2006-and-up-front-brake-job.html)

Fordication 07-29-2009 12:08 PM

2006 and Up Front Brake Job

Well I got an education this morning. I took my truck to Just Brakes and asked them to do a brake job on the truck. They pulled the wheels off and came back and told me that I still had 10% pads on the front and 40% pads on the back and they could do my brake job for $970. I shat a brick. I asked them what the hell was going on. They told me that the new Ford trucks have a one time use front rotor and the replacement rotors are $320 a rotor and that the back rotors were too close to be turned and they were $150 a set. They also told me that cannot install aftermarket rotors other than the ones they have. Told me that the crush nut is $40 for each front wheel. I am completely shocked so now I am coming here and asking you guys whats up. How much of this is BS. I will not pay that much for a brake job and if I have to I will trade the truck in for a new one first. Is any of this true?

FTE Trigger 07-29-2009 12:58 PM

Is this 4wd or 2wd?

I've physically seen shops turn our rotors. They just have to be equipped to do so.

One shop used a turning mill that turned the rotor while it was still on the truck.

Another shop had a CNC turning center on-site. In that case all the measuring and machining activities were left to the machine. The operator/mechanic only had to plug in the vehicle values and the machine went to work.

The one time use nut seems awfully high too! I think RockAuto and a few other guys seem to have it ranging in the mid to low 20s ($).

I can understand a company trying to make a buck, but some of these prices are...

IMO, I'd seek other bids/quotes.

p.s.: My dealer quoted me 195.xx per a rotor at the counter. I have a 2wd (non-HD pkg.)

Fordication 07-29-2009 01:51 PM

I was just wondering if there are aftermarket rotors that anyone has tried. The brakes on this truck are awful and have always been subpar.

Ryan50hrl 07-29-2009 02:22 PM

Thats a bit too high if you ask me.....however....

I'm assuming that you have a 2wd since you mention the one time use nut....

From napa...premium rotors for the front 134 each

rear premium rotors 55 each

front pads 22 for the basic, 48 for one step up (akebono pads from rock auto 60)

rear pads 26, 42, or 60

1 time use nuts.... 11 bucks each from rock auto....

If you went with the akebono pads....and 4 rotors with 2 new nuts....

You'd be looking at 520 in parts.....

Now 400 in labor probably doesn't seem ALL that far off for a chain shop.....and of course they'll charge you an upcharge for all the parts too...

That said...brakes on our trucks aren't all that difficult, so i'd try and find either an independent shop or get a service manual and pull it apart yourself...brakes are pretty darn easy to do....

As for the rotors being 1 time use.....they can be turned, IF they're within specs....however i've had lousy luck turning rotors...i did mine and 1000 miles later they were warped.....

Ryan50hrl 07-29-2009 02:23 PM

PS...if you think 900 bucks is pricey... A bmw m3 car has a 2800 dollar brake job....just to make you feel better

BatteriesNotINCL 07-29-2009 02:48 PM

remember that there are no laws to limit the amount of upcharge for parts....Id do what everybody else is recommending....most independent shops let you take your own parts. What you could do is buy all the parts and go back to Just Brakes "where they really care to rip you off" and say that you got all the parts from the dealer...they have no way of knowing...just take all parts out of the boxes..

Ryan50hrl 07-29-2009 02:56 PM

Most chain places won't let you bring in parts...and alot of private ones won't either....your best bet is finding a friend who knows how to fix stuff....

bridge 07-29-2009 04:47 PM

What the what! One time use rotor? Since when does a brake job cost the equivalent of a middle-class weekly salary? Did they say the rotors were warped and had to be replaced? Did they mention that they could be turned, but that they'd rather put the screws to you than mention that they don't have the proper equipment to service the number one selling vehicle in America?

Amazing. Find and other place to get them done. I went to that place ONCE. They told me I had to consent to them doing whatever work is required PRIOR to them giving me an estimate. Basically, they wanted a blank check. I asked why they couldn't give me an estimate prior to starting work and it turned into an argument. I walked out, hopped on-line and started frequentling these forums to learn how to do the work myself. I figured I'd rather spend a couple hundred on a good tool set then pay those national chains to rip me off. Haven't looked back since...

Geez...that's like going in for an oil change and they guy saying you need a new motor because the engine is "one time use only".

Fordication 07-29-2009 05:22 PM

Guys, I can do the work myself. Thats not the problem. I am having no problem with the brakes other than I have 70k miles on the truck and its getting close to time to change them. They had a good deal until I found out that the rotors are at the lower limit for turning. Now that I know what you guys just told me I am going to have them turned and put a pair of ceramic pads on the front. The rear brakes will last another 50K at least. I was hoping that I could put some higher quality rotors on the front so that the truck will stop better. I will go ahead and do the brake job myself. Guys I rebuild and restore cars and trucks as a hobby. Look at my sig, I rebuilt all of those and a several other cars that I am not allowed to talk about here. I just wanted to hear that Ford was not stupid enough to make a one time rotor. After all, the spark plugs took me over a week to get out. THat was stupid.

GLoiselle 07-29-2009 06:15 PM

F.Y.I. ASE tech books say you can put pads on without turning rotors if no pulsation is present, just use quality pads. If you get a squeal then turn rotors. I work for bfrc and hate Just Brakes. initials stand for-JERK And Bite /u in a$$.If doing rotors we usually get 220 each for them and 79.99 for pads front,and 155 each for rear rotors and 79.99 for rear pads,and 25 for nuts.89.99 for ceramics pads others are semi metalic

Fordication 07-30-2009 08:11 AM

I will let you guys know how it goes but I do not see any problems after buying the pads.

hcbph 07-30-2009 01:14 PM

Brake Jobs

I love these kind of threads, been there, done that. I had CarX tell me they couldn't turn the rotors on my 97 because it has ABS. Went to another shop, they did it. I had Ford want around $150 a rotor at the time while Checker Auto Parts could get me rotors for about $60 a rotor. Had another place tell me they wouldn't do a job without new rotors even though the ones that were on checked out fine with a dial indicator and no grooves, there was plenty of thickness in the event they had to be turned (which they didn't).

I have a mechanic I trust now, and if he doesn't have time, I can do them myself. If you have an O'Riley Autoparts in your area, they will turn a rotor for about $10 each. I did the last front brakes on a vehicle, turning 2 rotors, pads, seals etc: under $50 for both axels.

I've run OEM rotors and run some from an autoparts store, I can't tell a difference between them, other than in my checkbook.

At almost $1000 for a brake job, if you like that I have some land south of Pensacola, Fla I'll sell you, great for fish farming.:-X24

Paul

1Aauto 07-30-2009 02:01 PM

Ed, if you have a basic knowledge of automotive.Brakes aren't that bad to do. Price the parts out and do it yourself if you feel ok doing it. If your afraid of not knowing how they go back together do one side of the truck at a time so that you can go over to the side that is put together and see how everything bolts into place.

There's a whole pile of guys out here too if you get stuck.

We also sell the Haynes Repair Manuals that will help you do basic repairs on your truck.Here's a link to them on our site.

Ford Truck Haynes Manual

Fordication 07-30-2009 08:22 PM

No, I was just hoping there were some advanced front rotors out there aftermarket that some of you guys were using. Thanks

Ryan50hrl 07-30-2009 09:32 PM

I've had good luck with powerstop drilled rotors, but i'm thinking of trying some royalty cryo treated drilled rotors next...