Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Oil & Lubrication (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum70/)
-   -   I think I made a petron plus rep cry... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/87164-i-think-i-made-a-petron-plus-rep-cry.html)

Ratsmoker 09-07-2002 06:38 PM

I think I made a petron plus rep cry...

This guy came into the lube rack where I work and wanted to show us his "ball bearing" test with his product. We sell this product already and I knew he was comming so I was prepared. Petron has the same consistency about as 80W90 even though he swears it is the same viscosity as 10W30. He set everything up and poured 10W30 valvoline on the bearing and threw on the torque wrench. It stopped the motor at about 40 ft/lbs. He told me to throw anything at it I wanted. I had 75W90 synthetic gear oil, 85W140 synthetic gear lube and a little brew of my own:-X10 . The 75/90 made about 80 ft/lbs, the 85w140 made about 110ft/lbs. He asked for anything else I wanted to try so I went and got my little brew. He asked what it was (looked like old milk) and I told him I would tell him after the test. I bottomed the wrench out with 150+ ft/lbs and it was still turning like a champ. He stopped me before I bent the shaft on the motor. I think it kind of surprised him to say the least. I told him what the product was which is 1/2 75W90 synthetic and 1/2 clorox bleach. He said that the petron would not do any better than that so there was no point testing it. HE did go on to say that duralube, prolong and the others use chlorine in their product which of course only a fool would put in their engine. I then explained to him that I wasn't trying to test the validity of the petron product. I was trying to test the validity of the test. I have no idea if the product really works or not. I then asked him if he had any dyno test results and he said yes and that he would fax them to me. I have not seen them yet!
I would try it on the track but it costs $18.00 a bottle and I don't want to contaminate my mobil1 15W50 which I think is about the best protection I am going to get. I'm not the believer when it comes to miracle additives.

numocystic_10 09-07-2002 08:14 PM

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 07-Sep-02 AT 09:19 PM (EST)]I`m afraid I was one of those "fools" that put chlorine in their engine,Ratsmoker.At the time I didnt know it was chlorinated but should have suspected since it claimed to contain no PTFE,moly,graphite or other solids.Actually I heard it otherwise is a good product if they could replace the chlorine with another compound.The product is SFR 100,maybe youve heard of it? Anyway,I`m of the opinion now that additives are not only potentially harmful but also unnecessary and also upset the balance of additives already in the oil.So now I just use straight mobil 1 and a mobil 1 oil filter and that gives me more peace of mind than any pour-in additive.Incidentally,have you heard of Militec-1 Ratsmoker? They claim to contain no "chlorinated paraffins",whats your response to that? Is Militec just like all the others?:-X20

Ratsmoker 09-07-2002 09:06 PM

This guy claims that petron has no graphite, moly, silicon (PFTE) or chlorine. Then again neither does gear lube. I swear this stuff is gear oil. I have never heard of miltec. No chlorinated parraphins huh? Thats a fancy way to say that their is no bleach in his oil.

numocystic_10 09-08-2002 02:40 PM

I couldnt find any info on Petron snake oil,except a link to a Petron that makes industrial lubricants and cutting fluids,probably not the same Petron.Oo.

numocystic_10 09-08-2002 02:58 PM

Okay,I did find Petron,forgot to include the word "plus",it claims to contain no chlorinated paraffins just like Militec but does it work? Who knows.Some of these additives actually sound plausible but I`m not gonna be sucked in again,I`ll just stick with synthetic.:-rip

numocystic_10 09-09-2002 12:59 AM

side oiler 06-14-2007 09:11 PM

snake oil

Originally Posted by numocystic_10
I couldnt find any info on Petron snake oil,except a link to a Petron that makes industrial lubricants and cutting fluids,probably not the same Petron.Oo.

let me tell you about my experience with petron plus. about 15 + years ago i went to a muscle car auction, there was a man there set up with a ford straight six engine running without a oil pan on it at 1500 rpm. his display said
would you try this with your engine? he asked me what i thought of engine without oil.i said well its not under any real load, and had a radiator hooked up to it.then some guy yelled over the engine noise "SNAKE OIL"!! the man with the display said sir i will make you a challenge, what do you drive? he said he had a old 59 chevy with a straight six with a 3 speed why? similar engines, sir if you will drain your oil out of your engine. i have a case of 30 kendell in my trailer to refill it after you run your motor up to 1500 rpm as this one, better yet he increased it to 2500 rpm we will see if its "snake oil" i will give you $3000 cash if your engine runs 5 minutes.loud mouth who didnt know
anything about the product walked away. that ford motor ran 15 minutes at 2500 rpm. then he put it back down to 1500 rpm and sold about 15 cases in 15 minutes. one of them to me. i use petron products in everything i own that needs lubrication.petron treats the metal not the oil all i can say it works for me.

horsepuller 06-16-2007 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by side oiler
then some guy yelled over the engine noise "SNAKE OIL"!! the man with the display said sir i will make you a challenge, what do you drive? he said he had a old 59 chevy with a straight six with a 3 speed why? similar engines, sir if you will drain your oil out of your engine. i have a case of 30 kendell in my trailer to refill it after you run your motor up to 1500 rpm as this one, better yet he increased it to 2500 rpm we will see if its "snake oil" i will give you $3000 cash if your engine runs 5 minutes.loud mouth who didnt know anything about the product walked away.

The "loud mouth" is a shill. Part of the snake oil show. BTW, the PTFE vendors used the same parlor trick to demonstrate their product. :rolleyes:

Welcome to FTE. Glad you decided to join us in the Oil and Lubrication forum. ;)

ford390gashog 06-17-2007 02:27 AM

The man in the crowd was part of the show and it works very well when selling products. But this thread is 5 years old time to put this horse out to pasture.

side oiler 06-17-2007 09:29 AM

loud mouth is a shill

Originally Posted by horsepuller
The "loud mouth" is a shill. Part of the snake oil show. BTW, the PTFE vendors used the same parlor trick to demonstrate their product. :rolleyes:

Welcome to FTE. Glad you decided to join us in the Oil and Lubrication forum. ;)

you guys are amazing you wasn't there and you have all the answers.i was there,i saw the test with bearing machine,the engine running.i use the products and they work! pull your head out of the sand and look at something with a open mind. you might surprise yourself, rather then bad mouth
something you know nothing about.as for guy who yelled "snake oil" i saw him
later in day buying parts, when he saw me with my case of petron in my wagon.
he said i still believe its snake oil,but you drive a "ford" it figures! a "shill" i don't
think so.. just another guy with his head stuck in the sand! side oiler

rusty70f100 06-17-2007 10:58 AM

If it worked, the oil companies and auto manufacturers would already know about it.

Probably any motor could have done that. What they dont show you is the extreme wear that will have occured in the motor after running without oil. Just because the rods didn't break does not make it a valid test.

Who knows? They could have set up that motor for the test. Grind the crank .010" under, leave standard bearings in it so it doesn't lock up. Same for all the other clearances. Bore the cylinder oversize a bit, leave standard pistons. Valve guides, same deal.

It was a setup, and you got took.

side oiler 06-17-2007 12:55 PM

some people believe we haven't been to the moon either

people like you, cant be helped you know everything about everything. but know no squat about petron plus.my 88 van has almost 400,000 miles. other then a couple of water pumps "i did put a timing chain in it on 2nd one" and change fluids in engine,trans. and rear when called for,brakes tires,batterys,starter,and alternator thats it.i use petron products in everything.would jump in and go cross country right now. dont knock something till you try it.bet you didnt eat any vegetables when you where a kid either.. ha,ha, just kidding.i wont blow my horn again about this believe what you want. "side oiler"

hotroddsl 07-18-2007 10:28 PM

amazing how if the product is so good all the manufactures dont specify it for warranty requirements! oh wait i forgot abought "big oil" suppressing it & forcing them to use substandard conventional oils to allow them to have expensive warranty claims! or their heads must still be in the sand. hmm could it be that the stuff is crap & wont meet even the loosest api specs? perhapse thats why they sell it at county fairs, swap meets, & with gimmicks like torque trick! as far as the no oil engine run I have personally been involved in organized events at "bug-o-rama's" where you guess how long the VW motor will run without oil the winner gets a set of .041 heads or a set of dellorto carbs. or whatever the sponsor is selling, I never won as I allways guessed way too low at 66 minutes (my lucky number) I never saw 1 go less than 90 mins. I saw 1 go 3 1/2 hours!! & they wire open the throttle (allways a single port so not much air or rpm) so by that I guess we all have our head in the sand & we have been duped into useing expensive oil when all we reall needed to do was fill the crankcase with air! I'm not sure the shill will get his cut of the sales on that. Side oiler its ok to belive in a product but to insult an entire forum because they did'nt buy the "snake-oil" is not really the best way to introduce yourself, as we have seen your kind come & go too often to even pay attention, it might be advisable to sit back & read a little (or in your case, a lot) before you make ignorant comments abought some of the best informed nicest ford lovers on the planet, we have a combined knowledge of any ford products & you may need our knowledge someday!

projectSHO89 07-19-2007 07:47 AM

...you can't argue with a fanatic who is a "true believer", whether it be about oil, additives, politics, religion, or whatever.

Best to just ignore them.

Ed 07-19-2007 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by horsepuller

---------------------------
SCOTT, every once in a while these old threads catch my eye, and I remember something, based on your reply above.

One time in the early 80s, I was looking at cars on a GM dealership used car lot. I was interested in buying my first pickup truck which I spotted, a very clean 1978 Chevy 1/2 ton (please no belittling comments guys. I was young and still learning the ropes of the real world!)

Anyway, I took the truck for a test drive. Really liked it, but not sold as in sitting down to do the paperwork. Suddenly, out of the blue, another person became very interested in THAT truck! Saying how it's just what he's looking for, perfect for towing his boat, bla bla bla. I started to panic inside... man I wanted that truck!!! Long story short I left, told my Dad about the truck.

He said, "after dinner, I'll pick you up, we'll go look at it". So around 7PM we arrive on the lot, seperated, as another truck had caugh my eye, so I was a few rows back, after pointing to and describing the Chevy truck I liked. My Dad is now looking at the truck. Same salesman -- guess what? My Dad is looking at the truck, suddenly that same "customer" walks over is very interested in the truck!!!!!!!

Long story short, it's all a scam and a sham. The "buyer" is a friend of the salesman -- they set people up to buy on impulse thinking a car or truck they like will be sold out from under them. On the ride home, I told my Dad what happened to me, he laughed so loud, I started laughing /// I then realized I'd been had with the oldest trick in the book on selling cars! I learned alot that day, and from then on, I was so thankful I didn't buy on impulse, and possibly regret it later.

Ed

PS: Hence, it doesn't surprise me about "set up" people in demonstration products / exhibits, ect.