Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   painting parts and assembly (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/870049-painting-parts-and-assembly.html)

WALFORD'S 56 07-23-2009 09:27 AM

painting parts and assembly

Hi all,and I tore down the 56 F100 and hve all the parts blasted and primed.
Do the air deflectors that mount on the sides of radiator get color or black?
I also am going by AXRACERS assembly procedure when installing the doghouse this coming week.
I only need to start the yblock and then the wiring to do....and I will hire that done.
I also wonder if I should clear each panel before assembly or spray the base and clear after all is done?
Thanks

p.s.---where is FRANK HACKNEY....and KEVIN SMITH203? :confused: no action lately and hope they reply.
My buddy has his 51 f5dumptruck and it is awesome and I are going to summit for the show this year.....I will pull him ,but he wants to pull me...LOL:confused:
WE WILL SEE and finally have a buddy fixing my yblock.....Bill:-dancing1:-X25

BACAGrizz 07-23-2009 10:57 AM

They are typically black but, look at Sam's (sdetweil). They look good painted green also.

bigwin56f100 07-23-2009 12:38 PM

Rumor in the mill has it that truckfest at summit has been canceled. I have not seen anything as of yet to verify this info.

WALFORD'S 56 07-23-2009 01:51 PM

Thanks guys....I am thinking green for now,could change....darn rain is messing with paint procedure....so humid!!

ANYONE HEARD FROM FRANK OR KSMITH?

CharlieLed 07-23-2009 02:13 PM

If you are using a basecoat/clearcoat system then do clearcoat every panel before reassembly. Additionally, color sand and buff all panels if possible before assembly.

56panelford 07-23-2009 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 (Post 7750128)
I also am going by AXRACERS assembly procedure when installing the doghouse this coming week.
I only need to start the yblock and then the wiring to do....and I will hire that done.
I also wonder if I should clear each panel before assembly or spray the base and clear after all is done?
Thanks

p.s.---where is FRANK HACKNEY....and KEVIN SMITH203? :confused: no action lately and hope they reply.
My buddy has his 51 f5dumptruck and it is awesome and I are going to summit for the show this year.....I will pull him ,but he wants to pull me...LOL:confused:

:-innocentSo ..Bill, where's the pictures, you forget to insert them,lol

WALFORD'S 56 07-23-2009 06:54 PM

Hey 56panel......I still cannot post pics...and have not tried in a while....wife has to do it,and that is always a wait......I have the big56 all painted but sprayed the roof colonial white...which it was not originally......oh my .....maybe I am a dark or shade sider....LOL
Been busy,and cannot wait to post in my gallery.....I want to redo the gallery and install all my new trucks........thanks Bill

Charlie--I think if I spray the clear now....it will be a mess if it gets scratched up.....and I thought to spray the truck again and clear then.....Bill

CharlieLed 07-23-2009 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 (Post 7751960)
Charlie--I think if I spray the clear now....it will be a mess if it gets scratched up.....and I thought to spray the truck again and clear then.....Bill

Clear is far more durable than the basecoat and a scratch in the clear is much easier to repair than a scratch in the basecoat. Not to mention the fact that basecoat was never meant to act as a final finish and thus is not suited to protect the areas where panels would be bolted together and would not receive a clear coat after assembly. I can see no reason why you would not want to clear coat first, but it's your call....

raerjim 07-24-2009 06:57 AM

I followed AX's instuctions that you are referring to and It's true, Chuck is THE MAN, only thing I would do differently, and speaking with him, he agreed, is go ahead and bolt the hood to the mounted hinges after you get the radiator support mounted, plumb, square to the cab and mount the latch panel. Don't take it off. Adjust hinges for even cowl and fender clearances from there. Got that pearl of wisdom from Chalieled, THE OTHER MAN.

WALFORD'S 56 07-24-2009 09:31 AM

I always mount the hood as you mentioned raerjim.....and it is on mine now....Charlie...you are right and I forgot the fact that base has no hardener in it,and clear does....so thanks and I have been painting for 30 years and can still learn things....wife must never hear that....LOL
Thanks

CharlieLed 07-24-2009 10:58 AM

Bill, I grew up in Cincinnati and learned bodywork/paint at Haskins Body Shop in the late 60's. How times have changed...California (not all, but many counties) has passed legislation requiring the use of a catalyst even in the basecoats. Kinda ironic, that manufacturers can't put all the components needed into the paint when they put it in the can at the factory but you can add them when you mix it before spraying. Gotta love it when politicians get involved...

sdetweil 07-24-2009 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 (Post 7750128)
Thanks

I originally planned to make the deflectors black, to emphasize the grill, look a little more menacing. My son and the painter both said that body color would look better over the long haul..

I like it..

As for the clear, you need the underlying paint to be still sticky to get the clear to adhere. usually the flash time window on the paint is less than 2-4 hours between coats for adhesion..

so, IF you wait, then you would have to rough the entire surface (every place u miss u lose adhesion) prior to the clear spray..

so. we did all 10 coats for each part in each shoot (3 base, 4 candy, 3 clear), with 20 minutes between coats. (3 hours waiting on each shoot, time 9 shoots!)..fun..

Sam

abe 07-24-2009 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56 (Post 7750994)
Thanks guys....I am thinking green for now,could change....darn rain is messing with paint procedure....so humid!!

ANYONE HEARD FROM FRANK OR KSMITH?

I think black air deflectors look best. They do make the grille stand out, sorta makes it float.

WALFORD'S 56 07-24-2009 07:14 PM

Thanks guys....I have base in one gun and clear in another and the epoxy in my old binks model 7.
I have about 10 paint guns and until now.....only needed a primer and topcoat gun.
Now with my new sata hvlp ...it sprays like magic!!!
I have decided to spray the deflectors meadowgreen as the color.
I have sprayed every known paint imaginable....and still amazed at basecoat and it's drying ability.
I loved lacquers....but them days are done...at least for me.
I am actually painting 2 trucks at once.....so imagine all the panels and all the prep.

Tomorrow is a big day and my COBRA buddy is coming up and should help me on my big56.....tHanks....

WALFORD'S 56 07-24-2009 07:16 PM

Abe.....1 truck will have them black and the other meadow green.