Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Delaware Chapter (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum191/)
-   -   Fire,EMS,Police responders (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/868137-fire-ems-police-responders.html)

dlr71 07-15-2009 11:20 PM

Fire,EMS,Police responders

This past monday night one of our members of Blades Volunteer Fire Company was admitted to the hospital with serious injuries the result of his truck with emergency lights being hit by a drunken driver. Our member who is a Fire Policeman just got out of his truck to set up traffic detour from the auto accident just ahead of him when he was hit.

Delaware has several new laws that are in effect. move over law, increased fines for dui, assault on emergency workers etc. There are increasingly close calls with drivers not slowing down, moving over, running fire signal lights. The driver spent the night in jail only to get out on minimal bail, our member will spend several days in the hospital and several months recovering. This was not that drivers first offense, the news reported other times, no license, no insurance.

PLEASE PASS THE WORD about this, please slow down, move over, give the right of way to emergency vehicles.

FTE has ability to spread the word very quickly, Thanks for taking the time to read......

dlr71

DAFBFD58 07-16-2009 05:34 AM

Amen..... I know this first hand. I have had a few close calls myself.

jr32560 07-16-2009 05:41 AM

hey guys I'm pretty sure Maryland has the same laws-but it seems to be a waste of time
I think about 3/4 of the drivers on the road need to go in for psychic evaluation-not a refresher driving course-but an actual check up from the neck up-hope he is gonna be okay

glruff 07-16-2009 07:21 AM

Having been in the fire service for many years(now retired), serving as a Fire Police, Ambulance Captain, and many other positions, I can tell you it is frightening to stand directing traffic on a dark rural road or even worse a heavy foggy morning day.

Wayne is a good friend and our prayers go out to him!

SCRWDRVR 07-16-2009 03:46 PM

I know what you's mean, I dont do emergency stuff but working in constuction is just as bad. I'm a certified flagger and I'll tell ya them people cant drive worth a lick!!!!!!

fire240 07-16-2009 05:07 PM

David, it hurts to hear about stuff like that when it happens to anyone in public safety. As a police disptcher I know what you are talking about. I have always been a bigf believer in those types of laws because they can save lives. Best wishes for his speedy recovery.

dlr71 07-20-2009 11:00 PM

Our Fire Policeman made it home over the weekend, some members went to visit him, the doctor came in and ask if he wanted to go home, so the members took him home, as far as the guy who hit him, still drinking and driving, apparently no remorse, the DA upped the charges against him to first degree offenses. Thanks for your thoughts!

dlr71

glruff 07-21-2009 07:10 AM

That's great to see David.

tiny1 07-21-2009 07:26 AM

Glad to hear that Wayne made it home and all of us that are in the emergency services are one big family and my prayers go out to him for a speedy recovery.

I also am a certified/sworn in peace officer aka fire police so this really hits close to home and as being chief, this kind of stuff just makes me sick as I am responsible for everyone that is on a scene.

In my county we have had two fire police struck in the last 3 years, one of them was very severe in which the driver hit him and fleed the scene. No witnesses as he was the only one at that intersection at the time.

fire240 07-21-2009 03:06 PM

Thats good to hear Dave.

Arlene 07-21-2009 03:19 PM

As the daughter of a man who has dedicated his entire life to the Fire/Emergency Service, we absolutely respect the new laws (and are excited that they've actually been passed!).

fire240 07-21-2009 03:26 PM

I wish MD would have laws like that.

Snowbunny 07-29-2009 10:49 PM

We have very similar laws here, thank goodness!!

Sure glad to hear he's getting better!

fire240 08-01-2009 03:07 PM

DE just strengthened the law about things like this. Here is the link to the story.

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top-EMS-News/New-Delaware-Law-Honors-Fallen-Paramedic/1$10082

dlr71 08-03-2009 12:13 PM

Just read that another Fire policeman was struck by a drunk driver in New jersey...

dlr71