Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/)
-   -   My 64 F100 has a replacement motor (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/867190-my-64-f100-has-a-replacement-motor.html)

warpedhead64 07-12-2009 08:08 PM

My 64 F100 has a replacement motor

As a previously daily visitor to this wonderful forum, I have been able to read enough posts from each of you very knowlegable members to be able to determine that my 64 F100 (code B engine) originally came with a 262 c.i. engine but I find that the engine in it actually looks like Number Dummy's (Dummy--no way!!) numerous discriptions of a 223 c.i.--I bought the truck recently thinking that it had the original motor but upon closer inspection found that the engine was painted totally red with a metal- seal-tag stating "RUSH ENGINE 1871" hanging near the front mount. The engine is stuck and I have tried each of your recommendations on unsticking it but to no avail. I do intend to keep it original--if at all possible. The 262 is proving to be a mighty elusive engine and mighty hard to find.
My question--if I do have to opt for another engine, what would be the easiest, quickest and most fuel efficient engine for a replacement--I retire from teaching next year and hope to have this truck as my everyday driver to pull my boat, firewood trailer, old tractor and transport many grandcritters to the lake fishing (6000 miles/year-avg).

I enjoy reading this forum and am excited at the possibility of having responses from some of the guys that really do a good job on this forum. Thanks lots. Walt :-X21

flipklos 07-12-2009 09:28 PM

A 223 is reasonable on gas and will make a stout puller. Though not a speed demon it will serve you well and with reasonable parts availability. I am not 100% but I belive the engine mounts and bellhousing are identical on the 223 and 262 platforms.

As for unsticking it,
If it is stuck that bad you may as well rebuild it. Take a bunch of pics of it in the truck and yank her out. Disassemble it and pound the pistons out using a block of hardwood and a sledge.
You may have a burnt bearing and that could be your "freeze".

Glad you joined and keep coming back. FTE is kinda a fun AA for ford freaks.

warpedhead64 07-13-2009 12:30 PM

You may have hit the problem right on the nail-when I brought the truck home there was a loose cam shaft lying in the bed of the truck. I have heard of cam bearings freezing up an engine and now after thinking more on your comments--I think you are right--I have soaked the pistons/rings in enough chemicals to dissolve them by now.
I will take the pics and start the engine pull. In your experience, where is the best place for me to order the necessary rebuild parts? Also, any ideas of where to get an original type steering wheel and horn assembly?
Thanks for the information and any more you send my way.
Walt

camperspecial65 07-13-2009 03:12 PM

I would ask friends/family or those local you know to be well versed in engines and machine work...it wont be cheap...but in the end it will be worth it...btw...keep that rush engine tag...and take pics of the engine after its out...or as you undo things before pulling from the truck...Pics can be an invaluable tool in getting things back the way they were upon reassembly...

- cs65

flipklos 07-13-2009 06:28 PM

I go to my local auto parts store. You can get most parts trough them or a NAPA type big box store. The 223 is kinda a old and somwhat unpopular engine due to its small displacement. Most people would dump a 292 or a 302 in place of the old six. This can create some part availability issues. EVERYTHING IS AVAILABLE. You just may have to dig for it or ask us nuts to help you out. Number dummy is a godsend for many of us. I realy belive that the man deserves a christmas card from us FTE guys that get info via him.

As for the machine work,
CS 65 is 100%. Ask around. Look for a guy that does work on older engines or is just plain old. There are alot of slick talking machinists out there that will try to sell you a song. Ask for a "stock" rebuild. Have them bring everything up to spec. If this is a daily driver ask him to use his judgment. A good machinist can determine whether or not it is neccisary to grind rods and mains undersize, line bore the caps and such. Make sure you have hardend exhaust seats pressed in. Then you no longer need to add lead substitute.

Taking pics is a good idea if you have never pulled an engine before. It will ssave a lot of headaches.

Any questions hit us up. That is what we are here for. I dont own a 223 but I did find all the parts for a guy at work that has one in his 64. He was amazed as he had been loking for a year for pistons.

garbz2 07-13-2009 08:07 PM

Cam in bed, sounds like they tried a cam swap and placed the timing chain gears on wrong which is real easy to do on a 223 262 or 292 as the dots do not face each other. Sucked a valve and jammed it up. did you disassemble it?

262s can be found but you need to look in large trucks as they only were placed in F100s in 64 as an optional engine. The larger F800 and C series cab overs all used the 262 from 61 to 64 as the base six.

You can pep a 223 up with speed parts and a great add on with a Petronix ignition. Fenton offy and a few others offer speed goodies. the 223 is making a come back as a nostalgic engine as the carb is on the divers side AKA oldskool....

The only thing that will bolt to your 223 262 bell housing is the 223 or 262, The V8 292 is a different pattern.

Garbz

warpedhead64 07-13-2009 09:38 PM

I appreciate this info--sometimes I am somewhat indecisive and then the right info comes in and then I can see clearly--your comment on the nostalgic value of the old 223nailed it for me. I will rebuild this engine and learn to adjust to it as my everyday fine ride.
Thanks for your input--glad you are there.
Walt

warpedhead64 07-13-2009 09:58 PM

good advice----

Originally Posted by flipklos (Post 7714516)
I go to my local auto parts store. You can get most parts trough them or a NAPA type big box store. The 223 is kinda a old and somwhat unpopular engine due to its small displacement. Most people would dump a 292 or a 302 in place of the old six. This can create some part availability issues. EVERYTHING IS AVAILABLE. You just may have to dig for it or ask us nuts to help you out. Number dummy is a godsend for many of us. I realy belive that the man deserves a christmas card from us FTE guys that get info via him.

As for the machine work,
CS 65 is 100%. Ask around. Look for a guy that does work on older engines or is just plain old. There are alot of slick talking machinists out there that will try to sell you a song. Ask for a "stock" rebuild. Have them bring everything up to spec. If this is a daily driver ask him to use his judgment. A good machinist can determine whether or not it is neccisary to grind rods and mains undersize, line bore the caps and such. Make sure you have hardend exhaust seats pressed in. Then you no longer need to add lead substitute.

Taking pics is a good idea if you have never pulled an engine before. It will ssave a lot of headaches.

Any questions hit us up. That is what we are here for. I dont own a 223 but I did find all the parts for a guy at work that has one in his 64. He was amazed as he had been loking for a year for pistons.

glad to know that you already know someone with the same engine--the motor is so rare that I was hesitant to keep it but I think that it will just be that much more fun to rebuild and especially since all my goodies are on the drivers side of the engine. Looks real funnyl

warpedhead64 07-13-2009 10:06 PM

engine tag

Originally Posted by camperspecial65 (Post 7713818)
I would ask friends/family or those local you know to be well versed in engines and machine work...it wont be cheap...but in the end it will be worth it...btw...keep that rush engine tag...and take pics of the engine after its out...or as you undo things before pulling from the truck...Pics can be an invaluable tool in getting things back the way they were upon reassembly...

- cs65

I will keep the rush tag and will always wonder about it. You are right about not being a cheap rebuild--local piston and ring shop wants $1100 + to do the job. And not being able to peek inside the motor to see if they did indeed do what the tickets say they did, I am left with less than total trust in the proposition. I am intent on doing as much of it as I am capable of and then a little more. I learn quickly and love fooling with mechanicals so if I can just learn how to "see" better at my age, then it will be a real adventure.
Walt

flipklos 07-13-2009 10:15 PM

I dont have the 223.
I have the 292.
I wish I had the 223.
I love six cylinder engines.
Six in a row makes it go.

If you want to hop her up a bit try clifford inline performance. They still have headers, intakes, and cams.

I went to buy my truck with the understanding it had a 262. It was a 292. I am still very happy with my purchase. I can help you a bit as my other truck has the 300 six. Kinda a big block 6 cyl.
Realy, I am jealous.

garbz2 07-13-2009 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by flipklos (Post 7715591)
I dont have the 223.
I have the 292.
I wish I had the 223.

If you want to hop her up a bit try clifford inline performance. They still have headers, intakes, and cams.

I went to buy my truck with the understanding it had a 262. It was a 292. I am still very happy with my purchase. I can help you a bit as my other truck has the 300 six. Kinda a big block 6 cyl.
Realy, I am jealous.

Right on.... I once had a Vertex mag and a fenton 6 one barrell intake and cast hedders for a 223 squirreled away for a model A roadster but some cash came along and spoke to me.. There is lots of stuff out there for 223s...The engine they were to go on lives in a uni in Ohio where the owner wanted to replace a 302 and go back to stock.

A buddy has a fresh 223 in his 63 Short bed uni along with a T5 out of a 6cyl fox mustang using one of mumerts 223 kits and pulls over 20 a gallon and drives it everywhere. People were looking at us funny as Fred wizzed by at 80 on the freeway in in Kansas City in an antique......

They run good with corrected top end oiling and have plenty of torque.

Garbz

Ringo Fonebone 07-14-2009 08:50 AM

Hey Dave what did Fred do to "correct" the top end oiling on his?

and yes i can attest that Fred's 223 with a T5 is a sweet running unit. You would never guess from riding in it, that setup would be from a 47 year old machine

NumberDummy 07-14-2009 05:37 PM

I dont have the 223.
I have the 292.
I wish I had the 223.

The 223 and 262 I-6's were notorious for goin' clack clack clack because not enough oil could reach the valve train.

Every autoparts store once sold top oiler kits for these engines...which solved the problem...somewhat.

The 1965/66 240's were notorious for burning oil from day one.

The 300 is by far....the better engine.

warpedhead64 07-14-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by NumberDummy (Post 7718516)
The 223 and 262 I-6's were notorious for goin' clack clack clack because not enough oil could reach the valve train.

Every autoparts store once sold top oiler kits for these engines...which solved the problem...somewhat.

The 1965/66 240's were notorious for burning oil from day one.

The 300 is by far....the better engine.

Glad you joined in on this discussion Number Dummy--I feel honored, but am I hearing you and Garbz both say that I should include an after market oiler for the 223 when I have it redone? Are these "oilers" still available?
Thanks,
Walt

warpedhead64 07-14-2009 08:46 PM

I dont have the 223.
I have the 292.
I wish I had the 223.

Realy, I am jealous.

I was 2nd owner of a 65 with a 300--back in the 70s and 80s--worst thing I ever did was sell it but my company went belly up and the kids and wife like groceries better than my truck, so--sell it I did. I drove it trouble free for over 150G and had to put a accelerator cable on and that was it!! I tried later to find another like it but in 85 bought a 100% restored 353 in a 65--wife nearly peed when I took her for her first ride in it--wound up having to sell it because teen son found out he had nice part time income sneaking it out at night to meet the cameros, etc. I honestly thought the 64 was like the 65 but had not done my research and found out the big change was in 65--oh, well, if I get the 223 spiffed it will be just what I need. I have lots of respect for the 292s abilities--was very sought after motor when I was just a pup.
Walt