Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum174/)
-   -   Wacked out 07 expy (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/861602-wacked-out-07-expy.html)

n2umr 06-22-2009 07:31 AM

Wacked out 07 expy

So I came out to my truck this morning and found the headlight and taillights blinking, don't know why. tried to start and the battery was dead. So I connected my charger up to the battery and he truck went berserk. The info display was showing every message and symbol it could, lights were still on and the radio would turn on and off by itself, no key in the ignition. So disconnected the battery for a few minutes but no difference so I am going to leave it disconnected until I get home from work. Any ideas, could this be a result of a dead battery or something else, nothing I could see was left on overnight. WEIRD!

Mark

function12 06-22-2009 09:04 AM

Did someone try to steal it?

n2umr 06-22-2009 09:15 AM

Don't know, everything was in tact and nothing was missing. Keys were still in the center console when I opened it up because thats what I thought too. I did notice that the lock idiot light on the dash was blinking. Doors were unlocked and nothing was missing, sat radio, ham radio, CD's laptop all there. No panels removed or wire that I could see.

Tylus 06-22-2009 11:09 AM

it is your battery

these new Fords do that when the battery goes dead, or very nearly dead.

my 06 F-150 went ape**** on me one day just like you described. I took battery from my SUV and the craziness stopped. Original Battery in truck tested out bad at the store

get a new battery that is fully charged and it will go away...sorry it gave you such a scare. If you check the 04-08 F-150 area, you'll see alot of posts about this happening

n2umr 06-23-2009 08:13 AM

Well, it wasn't the battery. It did the same thing with a new battery. I called the dealer and they seem to think it is the anti theft system. Had it towed to the dealer last night, should have some results sometime this afternoon.

Mark

Gucci_130 06-23-2009 08:48 AM

Ive seen vehicles come into my dealer that have been struck by lightning with the same symptoms, also reversing the leads when you go to jump start the truck can unleash the devil into all the modules..

gddyup 06-23-2009 09:44 AM

I've seen some weird stuff like that and most often times, like Tylus mentioned, it's just a bad cell in the battery or a wiped battery that causes some crazy conditions.

I'm curious to see what it is. Let us know once you get an answer back from the dealer.

n2umr 06-23-2009 10:59 AM

The verdict is in. I got a call from the dealer concerning the issue, they said someone ran some wires on the passenger side through the rubber door grommet, where the wires run for the speakers and power windows, into the kick panel. Water is running down those wires and into a fuse box, plus my floor was soaking wet they said. I told them I may know who ran those wires! boy do I feel like an ass. The wires were for my amateur radio, antenna and power. I never sealed the hole I made, this might cost me, although they said they are going to try and get it covered under warranty, good luck I said.

Definitely a lesson learned! Thanks for everyone's help!

Mark

Tylus 06-23-2009 11:24 AM

ouch...too bad it wasn't the battery

berry1234 06-23-2009 12:26 PM

Amateur installers! JK, hope it all works out.

function12 06-23-2009 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by n2umr (Post 7639186)
although they said they are going to try and get it covered under warranty, good luck I said.

That is the dealer's way of saying we are going to fix it now and when you come in, tell you how hard they are going to break off in you.

berry1234 06-24-2009 10:41 AM

Yeah, did they fix it for free?

n2umr 06-24-2009 01:37 PM

They did fix it under warranty so no cost to me, YEAH! However, the service manager did notice that I haven't had any service performed at the dealer, hint hint. Guess I better schedule something and make up for the "favor" the did for me. Thanks for everyone who tried to help me with this situation.

Mark

berry1234 06-24-2009 01:44 PM

Yeah, they are like that. That was nice though as they were not obligated to fix it. Now time for the $45 oil change......

bamp 06-24-2009 06:19 PM

Actually around here, central Arkansas, the dealer is as cheap or cheaper than most service places. I prefer to get mine done @ the dealer for warranty purposes.