Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Power Steering not working... (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/860409-power-steering-not-working.html)

SeattleWills 06-17-2009 01:50 PM

Power Steering not working...

I have changed the pump and still it is like turning a tank.... could it be the control valve or something else?

74 f100 4x4 390 Auto

Thanks,
Shawn

zak8tac 06-17-2009 02:06 PM

I'm not familiar with the 74's, does yours have the bendix valve?

SeattleWills 06-17-2009 02:19 PM

I want to say it is Garrison, the pump lines run from pump into the control valve. I am not 100% sure thou. This is the link I am using to ID my steering setup.

LMC Truck Parts - Page 103
and
LMC Truck Parts - Page 104

zak8tac 06-17-2009 02:38 PM

Thats what I thought, I couldn't remember the name of the other valve system.... You need to diagnose if its the power steering causing the rough turning, meaning it isn't functioning at 100% or if it is something before the power steering like the steerbox. Is your pump cavitating or getting extremely hot? Did you get all the air out of the system when you did the pump change. Have you done any work on the valve. How are your balljoints?

SeattleWills 06-17-2009 02:47 PM

ball joints are fine, I am new to working on old trucks. I thought that it was self bleeding or is it like brakes? I am not sure about the steering box either. There is a lot of slop in the system but shouldn't the steering still work easier? I put my wife in the truck and had her jiggle the steering wheel and most of the play seems to be after the steering box.

zak8tac 06-17-2009 02:52 PM

Well they are self bleeding yes, but when you start it up you need to go lock to lock a couple times to get all the air out. I don't know if you lost fluid from the cylinder or not but that holds a lot of air lol. There is a worm gear on the frame in the engine compartment, its on the drivers side and there is a square plug like that of a differential. Open that up and put a couple dobs of grease, make sure thats lubed, a lot of people forget about that.... What size tires are you running?

SeattleWills 06-17-2009 02:57 PM

I did not grease that, will do. Tires are 31x11.5x15 I want to lift the truck and get bigger tires but need the steering to work perfect first. I want to restore the truck so I might just start with the steering first. :)

zak8tac 06-17-2009 03:04 PM

Yea....Makes me wonder if you have sludge or shavings in your valve though...I'm kinda in the same boat, I want to switch out/rebuild my valve but I hear they are a nightmare. That and I don't have 500 bucks that lmc wants for a new one...

zak8tac 06-17-2009 03:11 PM

Something else I just thought of too....Your truck doesn't by chance have an aftermarket steering wheel in it does it? Reason I'm asking is the installation kits include a washer that in some cases isn't supposed to be used, if its used it puts a ton of drag on the steering shaft itself...I accidentally did that on a chevy I had once, had to pull it apart to take out that washer...