Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Speedometer sending - electronic gauge (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/860311-speedometer-sending-electronic-gauge.html)

ShamelessMT 06-17-2009 01:38 AM

Speedometer sending - electronic gauge

I've searched all over this site and others and can't find the answer...

I just won a set of 6 Aurora gauges and since I was planning on switching out my stock gauges anyway (though I was going to go with AutoMeter gauges, I can't complain about free gauges) this is awesome. The problem is that the speedometer in the set is electronic and not gear driven. How do I convert to this setup?

The truck in question is my 1976 F250 4x4 with a C6 transmission.

ShamelessMT 06-17-2009 02:43 AM

I just realized (went and looked) that the speedo cable attaches to the transfercase, so I guess I'm looking for a sending unit for a NP205? Anybody know how to solve this?

bmarkline 06-17-2009 03:11 AM

Try dakota digital - I hope I spelled that right. They make all those electronic digital guages- even for our dent side trucks so I'm sure they would have what your looking for.

Welsch69 06-18-2009 06:56 AM

Shameless, I have the same speedo cable set up on my 75 F250. The original Ford part number is: D4TZ-17260-D, Connector Type C for the cable. I know you're not going for the original, but you may be able to cross reference using the original cable part number. Hope this helps.

ShamelessMT 06-18-2009 07:45 AM

Well, I spoke with their technical support and the gauge is supposed to be coming with a sensor. Whether it will work or not for my truck is still unknown, but I guess I'll see in a couple days when the gauges arrive.

Bullitt390 06-18-2009 08:15 AM

I'm not sure in your case, but some digital speedos use a magnet that attaches to the rear yoke and a sensor mounted on the tranny, and senses speed off of that.

Josh

75F350 06-18-2009 08:51 AM

Pulse generators are available through most transmission shops. These attach to the existing cable, and are just a converter. YOur new speedo will run off of the electronic converter and you are all set. Small little box that the cable plugs into with a couple of wires attached.

ShamelessMT 06-25-2009 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by 75F350 (Post 7622972)
Pulse generators are available through most transmission shops. These attach to the existing cable, and are just a converter. YOur new speedo will run off of the electronic converter and you are all set. Small little box that the cable plugs into with a couple of wires attached.

I guess I need to try this method, as the gauges arrived today and the sending unit they sent me isn't even close to the right thing. I believe it's for a Chev transmission and it's not even possible to modify it to work.