Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum41/)
-   -   NEED!! 57 F100 Custom Cab Wiring diagram (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/859761-need-57-f100-custom-cab-wiring-diagram.html)

TLMFPL7 06-15-2009 01:28 PM

NEED!! 57 F100 Custom Cab Wiring diagram

I am looking for the wiring diagram for the 1957 F100 custom cab, we are trying to re-do ours. If you have one or no where i can find one please email me.
tmuir7@yahoo.com

Julies Cool F1 06-15-2009 05:25 PM

There should be one in the back of your Shop Manual. Don't have a Shop Manual - it's time to get one - try e-bay or C&G Ford Parts ($50):

http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z5

TLMFPL7 06-16-2009 12:25 AM

F100 manual

Thank you Julie, my dilemma is that my truck was hacked with all kinds of wiring so now it no longer runs and there were some burnt wires in there. We now are forced to move so i need to get the truck as least fired up to move it and i have tries every shop within 50 miles of my house and they all only go back to 63. I need to know ignition wiring and blinker wiring so anything helps thank you for anyone that can send me a PDF file that will help 1957 F-100 CUSTOM CAB!!! THANK YOU

Julies Cool F1 06-16-2009 09:46 AM

Take a look at my #4 gallery. It is dedicated to electrical rewiring. There are a number of generic wiring diagrams there. If you find one you would like a full size copy of (in MS Power Point, write me an e-mail with your e-mail address and I will send it. But, I'm moving and will be "off the air" for about a week starting this Friday - so don't delay.

TLMFPL7 06-17-2009 01:13 AM

wiring

hey thank you i got some progress today.... it starts and runs... but i have no blinkers or brake lights so do you have a diagram for the steering column/blinker switch out to the taillights and front markers? Thank you!

angus 06-19-2009 03:18 AM

The '57 to '60 shop manuals just have diagrams for portions of the wiring, not a single wiring map of the whole truck. Maybe Ford provided that in a separate document?

A wiring diagram for a '56 is probably close enough. The turn signal portion looks just like the one in the '57 to '60 manuals.
http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...ing%20Diagrams

TLMFPL7 06-19-2009 11:07 PM

57 turn signal and column

Hey thank you for the heads up. Im new to domestic stuff and older vehicles but very excited ive got one now. i am hung up on the 6 wire signal switch in the column, is this a hot in and negative out and the 4 existing wires go to each signal light? does the blinker relay feed the blinker switch power or is it oposite? does the brake light switch get tapped into your 12v line going to your taillights or is this relay driven? any help is greatly appreciated! thank you

alanco 06-21-2009 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by TLMFPL7 (Post 7612561)
I am looking for the wiring diagram for the 1957 F100 custom cab, we are trying to re-do ours. If you have one or no where i can find one please email me.
tmuir7@yahoo.com

Buy the shop manual. Just about every year made has a reprinted manual. The manual is invaluable for help in rebuilding a 9", a steering box, brake or transmission work.

Regards,

Alanco

angus 06-23-2009 02:14 AM

Like I said, I'm pretty sure the '56 turn signal diagram is the same as the '57: http://www.clubfte.com/users/earl/Re...ng_Diagram.jpg
So, power comes via a fuse to the flasher and then to the turn signal switch, then out to the dash indicators and the signals.
Power goes to the brake switch from someplace then to the turn signal switch harness.
If you don't have a test light, make one using a spare 12V clearance light or something. Voltmeters will be misleading if there are weak connections.

Original shop manuals can be picked up at swap meets from vendors that specialize in old car/truck manuals. Or on eBay. There's not much that changes from '57 to '60, if you can't find the exact year.

Julies Cool F1 06-23-2009 02:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Again, this is not rocket science.

The flashers and lights while an evolution over the years, was basically the same for many years - it's very simple wiring. Here is a diagram of a 7 wire switch det up that have in my 51. As I previously mentioned, it is posted in my #4 galler and will work perfectly fine for your 57. The seventh wire is that coming off the flasher to the switch and is for the hazard lights - which your stock installation does not have.

Here the picture:

Attachment 15934

BTW, the "Hot Bus" in the diagram is a hot power source (on all the time) and the "Switched Bus" is a power source that comes on when you turn on the ignition switch. Bus being a Distribution Bus (or fuse block, ignition switch, etc)

fordman63 09-05-2011 09:12 PM

Julie
I have a 56 f100 that I was trying to clean up the wiring and now it won't start.I thought I did not need the ballast resistor and removed it and lost a wire somewere.Do you have a wiring diagram for the ignition switch and starter solenoid?
Thank you
Paul

ibuzzard 09-05-2011 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by fordman63 (Post 10777999)
Julie
I have a 56 f100 that I was trying to clean up the wiring and now it won't start.I thought I did not need the ballast resistor and removed it and lost a wire somewere.Do you have a wiring diagram for the ignition switch and starter solenoid?
Thank you
Paul

Unfortunately,Julie has departed this world.Take heart,though,if you believe in re-incarnation,he's already back.

alanco 09-06-2011 03:26 AM

Ballast Resistor, Starter Solenoid, Starter.

First of all, buy a shop manual. I would also go to the public library, as they may have the one you need. As far as wiring goes, Ford 12V which started in 1956 on trucks and cars is all the same for 56 through at least about 60 About then they started with resistors built into the wiring loom. I have sold all my 56 Ford manuals, but they are reprinted now and only go for about $20 used and $35 new. New from Mid-Fifty, used on E-Bay.

The ballast resistor was mounted near the coil or on the firewall and is just in series with the coil + wire. The + wire on the coil (or on the resisitor) goes to the I lead on the starter solenoid. The S lead on the solenoid goes to the ignition S or Start lead. On a standard shift, there is no ignition start lockout, so the wire from the ignition switch goes directly to the solenoid. The large wire on the solenoid obviously goes to the starter. The other large lead goes to the battery.

The ballast resistor is used on all 12V coils to drop the voltage to about 8V when it is running. Since engines start better when cold at 12V, the solenoid is used to boost the voltage to 12V when cranking.

Alanco

ryanmad2000 10-21-2012 09:59 AM

59 Wiring for Alternator instead of Generator

Trolling for Angus....I saw your wiring diagrams and will use the turn signal one (have manual as well) I am putting in new dash wiring harness and have really hosed myself as there is alternator instead of generator in my old 59 and wire colors make no sense after 62 years of tinkering....I am pretty sure I have fried the alternator and will find out tomorrow at good shop in town, in the meantime, do you wiring diagram when you have to go to alternator instead of generator? It's a 3 wire alternator (field, power and ground) and a VR 32 regulator (same ground to alternator off the base) wire IN from IGN/Coil from ignition switch and field OUT to alternator. The darn yellow/black wire from gen light on dash was hosing me initially since it had no home on regulator at other end. I cut it since gen light is now obsolete right?

Thanks for any help all!