Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   4x4 Okay for Slide-in Camper? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/859685-4x4-okay-for-slide-in-camper.html)

BigSix1 06-15-2009 07:10 AM

4x4 Okay for Slide-in Camper?

Hey all,

I have a 1997 F-250 H.D. SCLB, 4x4, and I wanted to know if a lot of people put slide-in campers in these, or not? I've seen some people say they would ONLY put a slide-in camper in a dually, as they felt a SRW truck was not stable enough for a 3,000+ camper. Since most duallies are not, IMO, 4x4's, I wondered if I should also be concerned that my 4x4 might be too "tall," i.e., inherently too unstable for a slide-in camper?

So, basically, I've got a few questions:

1. Can one put a slide-in camper in a 4x4 F-250 and have it be safe?

2. Can one put a slide-in camper in a SRW and be safe?

3. Is there any reason not to consider a Supercab for slide-in camper duty, other than the obvious drawback to Supercabs, i.e., less maneuverable/harder to back up in tight quarters?

4. My truck, despite it's "Heavy Duty" fender badges, does not have overload springs. :-huh Should I consider these a "must have" for a 3,000+lb. slide-in camper?

5. Do people do any other suspension mods, like airbags, etc..., for slide-in camper duty?

Thanks--all opinions welcome!

BigSix

Jermafenser 06-15-2009 07:18 AM

Yes and yes.

However having dual tires in the back help with stability, but single rear wheels will do fine also.

Slide-in campers are best used on regular cabs, but a Supercab will be fine.

Overload springs will help with the load. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be there from factory. I know the F350 does.

Towmanjbo 06-15-2009 07:27 AM

At my last job a co-worker, a mechanic, has a '90 f350 crew cab srw that he puts a slide in camper on all the time to go to NASCAR races. He bought the truck new just for the purpose and it still works great. But like I said it's a 350 so I'm sure that helps.

andym 06-15-2009 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BigSix1 (Post 7611466)
Hey all,

I have a 1997 F-250 H.D. SCLB, 4x4, and I wanted to know if a lot of people put slide-in campers in these, or not? I've seen some people say they would ONLY put a slide-in camper in a dually, as they felt a SRW truck was not stable enough for a 3,000+ camper. Since most duallies are not, IMO, 4x4's, I wondered if I should also be concerned that my 4x4 might be too "tall," i.e., inherently too unstable for a slide-in camper?

So, basically, I've got a few questions:

1. Can one put a slide-in camper in a 4x4 F-250 and have it be safe?

The 4x4 sits a little higher than a 4x2. When you put a slide-in in the bed, it really messes with the center of gravity of the vehicle. The higher the vehicle, the worse this will be. So it will be "safe" but slightly less "safe" than if the vehicle was a 4x2.

2. Can one put a slide-in camper in a SRW and be safe?
This is similar to the previous question. Yes, it will be "safe" but the dually offers a lot more stability with a slide-in. It will work fine but it will be slightly less safe than a dually. Ford did not make a 4x4 dually pickup until the 1999 superduty came out. If you see one, it's a conversion of some kind, either by a conversion company like centurion (there were dozens of companies that did this kind of work) or a previous owner made one.

3. Is there any reason not to consider a Supercab for slide-in camper duty, other than the obvious drawback to Supercabs, i.e., less maneuverable/harder to back up in tight quarters?
Not that I can think of.

4. My truck, despite it's "Heavy Duty" fender badges, does not have overload springs. :-huh Should I consider these a "must have" for a 3,000+lb. slide-in camper?
You probably should put something under there for stability, either bigger springs or airbags. I would be very surprised if your truck didn't have overload springs. Every pickup I've ever seen has them.

Towmanjbo 06-15-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by andym (Post 7612315)
Ford did not make a 4x4 dually pickup until the 1999 superduty came out. If you see one, it's a conversion of some kind, either by a conversion company like centurion (there were dozens of companies that did this kind of work) or a previous owner made one.

I'm sorry but this is not true Ford didn't make a 4x4 superduty prior to 99 but they made lots of 4x4 dually pickups.

guitarnik 06-15-2009 02:54 PM

are you shure you dont have overlaods? sometimes there just a real thick lowest leaf, at least on mine they are, you almost cant tell that their there cause they sit so close to the other leaves.

andym 06-15-2009 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Towmanjbo (Post 7612806)
I'm sorry but this is not true Ford didn't make a 4x4 superduty prior to 99 but they made lots of 4x4 dually pickups.

I'm sorry but it is true. :)

Show me a factory 4x4 dually pickup 1997 or older.

Old93junk 06-15-2009 03:02 PM

Your truck will be a excellent slide in camper hauler, one of the most seen camper rigs around here..............The stock springs will be more than sufficient, but air bags can make you feel a little more stable if you are worried about crosswinds and curves at highway speeds.

guitarnik 06-15-2009 03:04 PM

id have to go w/ towmanjbo.... he said be fore 99 not 97

Towmanjbo 06-15-2009 03:51 PM

Well at this point I can show you lots of pictures of trucks but no real proof, one way or the other. I can remember looking at them on the dealerships lots when I bought my '94 does that count, probably not. I know for a fact they offered the F-350 chassis in 4wd trim but I don't have real proof of that either, I just drove enough of them.

Towmanjbo 06-15-2009 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by guitarnik (Post 7612883)
id have to go w/ towmanjbo.... he said be fore 99 not 97

I appreciate that but what I think Andy is inferring is the OBS f-350 Versus the Superduty F-350.

Old93junk 06-15-2009 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by andym (Post 7612855)
I'm sorry but it is true. :)

Show me a factory 4x4 dually pickup 1997 or older.

I have seen a few back into the late 80s, most seemed to be the "Centurion" brand, possibly not stock?

andym 06-15-2009 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Towmanjbo (Post 7613030)
Well at this point I can show you lots of pictures of trucks but no real proof, one way or the other. I can remember looking at them on the dealerships lots when I bought my '94 does that count, probably not.

I'm not saying they don't exist - I'm just saying that Ford never put together a 4x4 dually with a pickup bed on it prior to 1999 when the SD came out.

I know for a fact they offered the F-350 chassis in 4wd trim but I don't have real proof of that either, I just drove enough of them.
I know they do too - that's where the Dana 60 front axle comes from.

Originally Posted by Old93junk (Post 7613042)
I have seen a few back into the late 80s, most seemed to be the "Centurion" brand, possibly not stock?

Right - like I said, any 4x4 dually pickup 97 & older was an aftermarket conversion - either by a company like Centurion or somebody put one together. You could get chassis 4x4 dually trucks so all someone had to do was put a bed on one. There aren't that many of them around.

Kahuna 06-15-2009 08:29 PM

Andy you are 100% right.I have had this argument many times here and on other Ford sites.The first 4x4 Dually Cab and Chassis was the Late 85 F350.First 4x4 Dually pickup was the 99 F350 Superduty.

SuperFord 06-16-2009 07:04 AM

The biggest thing to watch out for is weight. A 3000 lbs camper is not a good choice for your truck. Your GVWR is 8800 lbs. So you need to know the weight of your truck and add in passengers, gear and fluids ( water tanks in camper if you use it) and subtract it all to get you payload. Your camper choice should be around that number. IE - My 97 f-250 has a 7.5L and with me in it, it weights about 6100 lbs. So the biggest camper I would go, would be about 2400 lbs, that gives me 300 lbs for gear. If you have a diesel, you have less payload because the engine weighs so much more. I think the biggest problem with going over the weight rating is the tires. Make sure you have load range E tires to support that weight. Overload springs, or airbags will help the truck handle the weight, but will not make it carry more weight.