Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.4L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum169/)
-   -   Jerk at Takeoff (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/858223-jerk-at-takeoff.html)

waverunner800 06-09-2009 01:31 PM

Jerk at Takeoff

Maybe I am being paranoid, but I am getting a slight "jerk" during takeoff from a stop. Is this normal? It feels kind of like a "shift" is occurring as soon as I take off (within the first foot or so...). Almost like it's downshifting to first gear...sometimes there is no jerk...but about 75 percent of the time there is.
I have a 2008 F350 6.4l Automatic CC 4X4 8-foot bed. This is my first one-ton truck (had minis (Toyota, but it was a manual and a Ranger) and two F150's before, but don't remember them doing this...).

R-T0r21on 06-09-2009 01:46 PM

If it's brand spankin' new, it could be the tranny learning. There is a "lag" with these trucks from a dead stop, but when it gives full power right after the lag, they really take off. Hope this helps and Enjoy your new truck.

pugster 06-09-2009 02:01 PM

roger that, my truck did the same. last dealer program seems to have eliminated.

sawtooth 06-09-2009 06:46 PM

It sounds like what mine does. When at a light if i give it throttle just a little too quick it feels like there play in the drive line and you get a little clunk sensation. Is this what your feeling? I would love to know what this is....

waverunner800 06-10-2009 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by sawtooth (Post 7592619)
It sounds like what mine does. When at a light if i give it throttle just a little too quick it feels like there play in the drive line and you get a little clunk sensation. Is this what your feeling? I would love to know what this is....

Yes...sometimes almost feels like two "clunks/jerks". I have 11000 miles, so it's not the tranny still learning. I've only noticed this for about the last two weeks (maybe it was doing it all along and I didn't notice, as this monster is taking some getting used to after driving half-tons for 8 years...). Once it's moving all seems normal (1st, 2nd and 3rd gears are very noticable shifts, 4th not much, and OD I can hardly tell unless I'm looking at the tach). I'll probably take it in next week, but I have a feeeling they're going to tell me it's OK....

rock_doctor 06-10-2009 05:47 PM

This is common with split drive shaft trucks. Don't really know how to explain it but the second half of the shaft binds up and when you start moving it unbinds... Not really how it is but that is the best i can do. My suburban does it also and it has 156k on the original universals so it is a don't worry about it item. I did find out if i pull the drive shaft out and grease the center slip portion of the shaft it will not do it for a while. I assume it is the same deal and my SD does it each and every time i start off from a stop.

John7894 06-13-2009 05:08 PM

Sounds like you need a tube of the Motorcraft XG-8 PTFE Lubricant. Pop the rear shaft off the carrier and lube the splines of the carrier and yoke with this stuff.

I've tried normal grease in the past, but it gets gummy after a few thousand miles. I put this stuff on my old SD and it hasn't had any problems in over 75K.

PSDx3 06-16-2009 12:26 AM

I am on my third powerstroke, two 7.3's and the new 6.4 Haven't ever noticed this jerk in any of my trucks. All F-250's. If my truck started doing this I'm thinkin I would be tryin to find the cause. I don't run oversize tires or wheels. My son's PSD has big tires and wheels and I don't think it is smooth at all, steering, braking or accelerating. Could this have something to do with it?

ruschejj 06-16-2009 06:52 AM

waverunner: take your diesel mechanic a box of donuts and ask him to ride with you. The service people behind the desk don't know squat, try to get to the guy that gets his hands dirty.

caprang 06-18-2009 08:36 AM

Check out this link for greasing the slip joint.
Slip joint regreasing

waverunner800 06-18-2009 09:24 AM

Thanks guys...I'll probably take it in, and see what they say. If they say it's normal, then I'll use your info as ammo that it's NOT normal....also, at 11,000 miles, I'm not getting my hands dirty to fix anything...:)

waverunner800 06-19-2009 01:47 PM

Called dealer today. They said they would need the truck for two to three days until they could look at it (have to get it into the "queue" so you don't lose your place in line...).

However, have found some posts on another forum (of which I tried to post links, but they were blanked out...I guess I momentarily had a lapse of memory regarding the forum rules...sorry Mods) that leads me to believe it is in fact just the splines on the slip joint needing grease. One guy also mentioned the ball joints in his new F450 not having any grease.

As far as the dealer goes, I had really good service from them on my F150 and daughter's Mustang (especially the QuickLane guys, believe it or not), but since it's a "city" dealer (I'm in San Antonio), I'm not sure how much they cater to the diesels (only two desel techs).

Sparkinak 06-20-2009 11:52 PM

Interesting I just took my truck in to the dealership. I was told that this was normal and that this is how the trucks are. I'll have to get some goop and try it, I know gm's had a special lube for this. Is it the same with the fords??

Has anyone ever noticed that the power steering doesn't work to great at a stand still? I was also told this is normal on the fords. I have driven many dodges and chevs and never had this problem.

:-hijacked

69cj 06-21-2009 04:53 AM

My trucks an 05 but the power steering is effortless. If yours is hard then I would think you have a problem. That is if you have stock tires and suspension.

ruschejj 06-21-2009 09:58 AM

Great link on the regreasing Caprang. I might do it just for the fun of it.

Sparkinak, My dad taught me to drive and he told me to never turn the steering wheel while sitting still. I'm almost 40 and still don't do it. I think this is a sure fire fix for your power steering problem!